Apple Isle Showdown: Tas Govt threatens to end Hawks, North deals if no plan for 19th side

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can you name some of these major and successful clubs in relative shitholes?

They’re everywhere. If not there’d be no successful English clubs outside of London. Same with plenty of other European countries. Or no successful US franchises outside of New York, LA and Chicago.

There are no young people in Australia moving to Adelaide, I guarantee you that. Yet footballers do.

They’ll definitely have to be smarter but it absolutely can be done.

4 more games at the MCG. If we can get a major sponsor to replace the TAS Govt then we may not lose too much out of it. Though I suspect we lose 10,000 memberships. But could pick up more, or higher priced memberships in Melbourne.

We had 3000 members in Tasmania before we took a game there in 2000

If we haven't gained any members (despite total membership climbing from 30000 to 85000) despite 21 years of development the experiment has been an abject failure

If we haven't gained any members (despite total membership climbing from 30000 to 85000) despite 21 years of development the experiment has been an abject failure

In 2019 we had just under 10,000 members.

In 2019 we had just under 10,000 members.

Yep

And if we can’t hold half of those (at the absolute least) we have done something terribly wrong.

We had just under 4000 Tasmanian members (out of 28000 total members) in 2006

So the ratio of members has reduced from about 14 per cent of total members to 11 per cent in 15 years.

Attendances have also flat lined from a peak of about 18000 in 2008

While they are sorting this out, if a few victorian teams 'spread' one away game one home game per year on rotation, that would be between 8 and 12 games per year, half all Vic half a vic team hosting a non vic could be a 'temporary arrangement
e.g.
Nth v bris
Haw v pta
Stk v WCE
Carl v Stk
Haw v Melb
Nth v WB

They’re everywhere. If not there’d be no successful English clubs outside of London. Same with plenty of other European countries. Or no successful US franchises outside of New York, LA and Chicago.
Wouldn't the lack of a functioning salary cap in the EPL contribute to their success and player retention?

As for the US- I think many would disagree that New York, LA and Chicago are the only decent cities.

There are no young people in Australia moving to Adelaide, I guarantee you that. Yet footballers do.
Yeah I know a few people who have moved to Adelaide recently, in part because it's got a thriving arts community. I don't know anyone whose moved to Tassie but I know a whole lot of people who left.

Adelaide's a brilliant city, way more interesting than Hobart and (obviously) much more accessible to the other major cities like Melbourne/Sydney too.

Last edited:

They’ll definitely have to be smarter but it absolutely can be done.

You have a bit of a Contiki tour view of the world there Bunk.

Tasmania also has the oldest average age of any state in australia... But you listen to the numpties on here and apparently it's a young man's paradise and they're all banging the door down to get in :drunk:
So you first said tassie was not good for AFL as it is a dull place.
Then you said it is a bit chilly.
So now we are too old, is there age limits for attending footy??? :drunk: :drunk::drunk:

You are looking for reasons that are not there for Tassie to not have its own side.

In 2013 we saw the cup for 15 minutes (ok it was because buddy was off his face on god knows what) but then it toured tassie before any Victorians saw it.

I won’t sit here and let you spout lies about hawthorn. North and st Kilda, be my guest.

Yes about 6 of them, looking a bit worse for wear, flew down to Hobart, with the cup, to collect their Bonus cheque from the Premier, about $200k I think. They spent a few minutes in the city mall, then off again.

Nice of them I must say.

Wouldn't the lack of a functioning salary cap in the EPL contribute to their success and player retention?

As for the US- I think many would disagree that New York, LA and Chicago are the only decent parts of the US.

Yeah I know a few people who have moved to Adelaide recently, in part because it's got a thriving arts community. I don't know anyone whose moved to Tassie but I know a whole lot of people who left.

Adelaide's a brilliant city, way more interesting than Hobart and (obviously) much more accessible to the other major cities like Melbourne/Sydney too.

I quite like Adelaide too. I've only had a couple of trips over. I'm Not so sure its way more interesting.

In what way do you think so? What things do you particularly like?

So you first said tassie was not good for AFL as it is a dull place.
Then you said it is a bit chilly.
So now we are too old, is there age limits for attending footy??? :drunk: :drunk::drunk:

You are looking for reasons that are not there for Tassie to not have its own side.

I was laughing at the person who said Tasmania would be perfect for a hub because the players would like it more than Melbourne.

Personally id like to see Tassy get a team in 6-10 years if there's strong population and economic growth.

Tasmania IS dull and cold BTW, when compared to Sydney Melbourne Perth ect, why do you keep arguing that? It has charmes if you enjoy the quiet country life, but that's not what most people under 30 want.

Suns have now partnered with Darwin leaving cairns and this year st kilda have taken cairns instead of China

I think the ability to work remotely due to Covid has a lot of people looking to relocate to places like Tasmania being able to still be employed in major capitals but not having to commute every day in to said CBDs and work from home

It'll be interesting all over the country for the next few years.

People looking for a Sea/Tree change should see regional areas of NSW, Vic as well as Tasmania attract people at a sustainable rate.

As per the Business insider/SMH reports show a prediction of 400k less people than originally predicted living in Melbourne by the end of 2022. Thats going to be a massive economic downer for Melbourne. Thats much less less taxation, less housing growth, economic activity overall.

I was laughing at the person who said Tasmania would be perfect for a hub because the players would like it more than Melbourne.

Personally id like to see Tassy get a team in 6-10 years if there's strong population and economic growth.

Tasmania IS dull and cold BTW, when compared to Sydney Melbourne Perth ect, why do you keep arguing that? It has charmes if you enjoy the quiet country life, but that's not what most people under 30 want.

Considering the above hit to population & economic activity in Melbourne, maybe they can come here, & get a job. ;)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You have a bit of a Contiki tour view of the world there Bunk.

Lol

I’ve travelled extensively throughout Australia, the UK, Europe and the US (and never been on a contiki tour!)

The allegation was Tassie won’t be able to retain players.

They will - clubs the world over do it in “less than glamourous” locations. You do it with a culture of success and winning.

Most young people (under 24) want to be with their friends wherever that may be. Over 24 I’d think that most people would consider moving cities if it was in their financial interests.
People with young kids who are too old to play but will still watch are flooding down. All inner city schools are chockers.
The issue is, as I’ve said, is that all of those kids are playing soccer.
To me, the issue isn’t just about a team in the state, it’s the future of the code in the state. Which the AFL clearly doesn’t give to hoots about.

Its nice to see a level headed Tasmanian who doesn't have a meltdown when people don't agree that Tasmania is the number 1 destination for young people.
I don’t think anyone’s said it’s the number 1 destination for young people. But you’re continued argument and ranting making it out like it’s a retirement village is ridiculous our age demographic is slightly older then the other states but the difference isn’t at any where near the level you’re trying to make it out to be !

I would have thought the majority of those members brought there memberships as they had four games available to attend each season how many of those would travel to Melbourne each season to watch games I wouldn’t think it would be to many

I would have thought the majority of those members brought there memberships as they had four games available to attend each season how many of those would travel to Melbourne each season to watch games I wouldn’t think it would be to many

In the days I did some work in Hobart, I personally saw tasmanians travelling to Melbourne to watch football

The main reason it would be perfect for a hub is that it’s been with wa the most covid safe place in the country to be commonsense to most people . Maybe stop and think before you post

So you don’t think Hawthorn has a fan base outside a 100km radius of the MCG?

For what it’s worth Hawthorn has several thousand members in various state and territories.

Why would Tasmania, a place where Hawthorn has run community camps and played matches for over 20 years, be any different?

Besides all bar one of Hawthorn’s 13 premiership teams have had prominent Tasmanian representation

Most young people (under 24) want to be with their friends wherever that may be. Over 24 I’d think that most people would consider moving cities if it was in their financial interests.
People with young kids who are too old to play but will still watch are flooding down. All inner city schools are chockers.
The issue is, as I’ve said, is that all of those kids are playing soccer.
To me, the issue isn’t just about a team in the state, it’s the future of the code in the state. Which the AFL clearly doesn’t give to hoots about.
This - I played in the country leagues and then the amateurs in the past and its incredibly sad with the local leagues absolutely suffering. More kids will choose other sports now, there is opportunity for the A League to swoop in over the next generation. Scotty Wade has a lot to answer for but the AFL generally have just passed over the state for some time.

I quite like Adelaide too. I've only had a couple of trips over. I'm Not so sure its way more interesting.

In what way do you think so? What things do you particularly like?
Art, Fashion, Music, Culture, Food, Retail.

Support for live music is a big one for me. Many international acts- and a few national festivals that I can think of- bypass Tasmania entirely. Tassie has some great boutique festivals: Dark Mofo, Mona Foma, Rose quartz, and a few great venues and communities pushing live music but it's a tiny scene compared to Adelaide let alone the rest of Australia.

Support for the arts is great in Adelaide too. There's some lovely exhibition spaces, their galleries are awesome, there's loads of great designers and artists working there + there's massive festivals like the Adelaide Fringe, the Adelaide Fashion festival etc. For a city of it's size it punches well above it's weight.

They're the major things. Tassie might have the edge as far as camping/hiking/nature go but they're not interesting to me personally.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back