Underrated Australian Iconic Locations

Remove this Banner Ad

Feb 11, 2012
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
As a kid, we used to drive to the Eyre Pennisula frequently and I did it a number of times as an adult. I hadn't done the drive for a few years but was shocked to discover the other day that the old Hungry Jacks at Port Augusta has merged with an OTR at a different site, leaving the old building empty. That was always the first stop in or out of Eyre Pennisula for almost everyone I knew. Not petrol, always food at Hungry Jacks. It was the only Hungry Jack outside of Adelaide well into the 1990s. Hell, I know a recently separated couple who used the spot to negotiate their divorce as neutral territory. They originally lived far away from that location.

After all this time it seems a bit...I don't know, strange that it'd be disposed of so readily. But I felt the same about the Pizza Hut restaurant on Anzac Highway years ago.

Anyone have other examples of Australian locations that are underrated in how iconic they are then one day they are just gone?

You know this thread's jumped the shark when a Hungry Jacks is an iconic location. But I'll add one for the non-NSW people - the Blue Mountains, specifically Katoomba area..

Hes from Adelaide tho.. so its kind of understandable

Actually I grew up in the Eyre Pennisula and came to Adelaide in my teens. Hungry Jacks was a novelty for us as it was the only regional one until the turn of the century, not a second lounge like you city folk.

In SA, Port Augusta is the nexus between journeying to WA, Ceduna, Port Lincoln, Coober Pedy, NT, and Adelaide so its travelled through quite a lot and so when things change on the main highway, its quite noticeable.

Didn't take long for the class bashing though. Some of us couldn't afford trips across Australia as a kid and had to settle for what we had.

You know this thread's jumped the shark when a Hungry Jacks is an iconic location. But I'll add one for the non-NSW people - the Blue Mountains, specifically Katoomba area..

I lived in the Blue Mountains til I was 19. Loved it. Always been a bit of a pipedream to move back there.

I'll add a local one. The Town of 1770. Beautiful. Am I right Hawk Dork?

SPEEDYS SHACK 1770 Holiday House Seventeen Seventy Agnes Water, 1770,  Gladstone, Bundaberg, Boyne Island, Tannum Sands

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Does it have a Hungry Jacks tho?
no and hopefully never will

big crabs just down the road though

iu

Bonnie Doon - the Castle made it famous, it's actually on the Great Victorian Rail Trail so gravel cyclists get to see it and cross the long bridge over Eildon right next to it.

I planned a road trip to Maree SA until Covid hit last year, it's the last sealed road before the Oodnadatta Track and home of what is arguably the largest artwork in the world, Marree Man (with mystery over who actually made it).

1614207135830.png

For sure. I've recommended it to a few visitors to Australia. They knew the Great Ocean Road well but not the Grampians. The Blue Mountains probably known more.

People being unaware of something doesn't make it underrated. The Grampians rightly receives praise as a beautiful location

People being unaware of something doesn't make it underrated. The Grampians rightly receives praise as a beautiful location

Maybe we interpreted the thread differently. Plenty of beautiful places are known but perhaps not high up on peoples lists of locations to visit. So I'll say it again. The Grampians. Multi-quote it.

Maybe we interpreted the thread differently. Plenty of beautiful places are known but perhaps not high up on peoples lists of locations to visit. So I'll say it again. The Grampians. Multi-quote it.
Grampians are beautiful
looking over that valley of red gums as the fog/low cloud parts and teases you with little glimpses

Mount Buffallo is stunning too
Ive stayed at the old Railway workers hotel back in the early 80s it was like a time warp

Grampians are beautiful
looking over that valley of red gums as the fog/low cloud parts and teases you with little glimpses

Mount Buffallo is stunning too
Ive stayed at the old Railway workers hotel back in the early 80s it was like a time warp
I've always wanted to go to Mount Buggery for no better reason than to stock up on postcards.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back