Draft Review 2020 - Revisit the 2020 AFL Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Up to 12 months apart. And they are only 18 years old. It's a significant difference.

You really can't see why clubs would prefer dec. Birth over dec?

Tipping you meant Jan birth over Dec.

Yeah is super important - someone like Jacob Weitering or Cam Ranyor might have gone much higher in the draft if they weren't born in late October and November.

We only had the 2 players Lachie Jones who will be a very good player but hasn't adjusted yet running under the ball and just flying for everything won't play rnd 1.
Also young Ollie lord has surprised with his contested marking but won't play this yr I wouldn't think.
One from our neighbours Riley Thilthorpe showed on the wkend why he should of been pick 1 I'm sure Adelaide would of picked him at 1 if the dogs weren't guaranteed to match the bid.
Have been saying for 18mths he is a generational talent.
Fair points - Lachie Jones having seen him play in the SANFL was just a cut above - super talent and I thought Lord looked good in the scratch game - has a presence and could end up being a very cheap long term Dixon replacement

For us Thilthorpe is one that if he can stay injury free he really could be anything

Why.
Is.
This.
Still.
Going.

Plz stahp.

Cause.
Kevin
Sheehan
Called.
Carrol.
Bottom.
Age.

Among a myriad of other reasons.

FFS!

You are wrong!

Stop doubling down on the fact you're absolutely completely incorrect!!

No one cares that you might have found some people who are ALSO wrong on some inbred outpost of the internet. Just use the term correctly in the future!

Kevin Vincent Sheehan OAM is a former Australian rules footballer for Geelong and the current Australian Football League National Talent and International Manager, a member of the AFL football operations sub-committee and a selector for the AFL Rising Star award.

Gee I wonder if that counts as being in the footy industry.

Getting close to time to apologize to THE_GUN ladies and gentlemen (?)

Last edited:
Like I said happy to be proven wrong I was just going off what Shifter Sheahan said at the draft and if he is wrong as well then I'm happy to be .
he turned 18 on december 20, his birthday is not in january, if it was he would not have been eligible for the draft.

he turned 18 on december 20, his birthday is not in january, if it was he would not have been eligible for the draft.

Sheahan knows how old he is... That's why he is calling him a bottom ager on draft night.

Which is you know. His job.

Maybe he is " easily confused by the football terms "

Sheahan knows how old he is... That's why he is calling him a bottom ager on draft night.

Got the link on Carrol? All I could find from shifter was this on Sam Berry:

Sam Berry
Gippsland Power - NAB League/Maffra FC/Melbourne Grammar
181cm 80kg 12/02/02

Medium forward/midfielder who is a contested ball-winning beast, strong overhead, clean at ground level and can hit the scoreboard. A resilient and competitive type who is also a strong tackler, he has a big tank recording the fifth best time nationally for the 2km with a 6 minute and 10 seconds run at Victorian Country Combine. Strong performer for the Power in 2019 as a bottom aged player, averaging 17.7 disposals (9.8 contested) and began 2020 full of promise gathering 20 possessions (15 contested) in one trial match before shutdown.“

So bottom age now is between Feb and Dec? That’s a fair spread and not really a point of difference.

Got the link on Carrol? All I could find from shifter was this on Sam Berry:

Sam Berry
Gippsland Power - NAB League/Maffra FC/Melbourne Grammar
181cm 80kg 12/02/02

Medium forward/midfielder who is a contested ball-winning beast, strong overhead, clean at ground level and can hit the scoreboard. A resilient and competitive type who is also a strong tackler, he has a big tank recording the fifth best time nationally for the 2km with a 6 minute and 10 seconds run at Victorian Country Combine. Strong performer for the Power in 2019 as a bottom aged player, averaging 17.7 disposals (9.8 contested) and began 2020 full of promise gathering 20 possessions (15 contested) in one trial match before shutdown.“

So bottom age now is between Feb and Dec? That’s a fair spread and not really a point of difference.

I think the person you where harassing was referring to the tv coverage

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think the person you where harassing was referring to the tv coverage

Carroll was born in December which made him top age in his draft year.

If he had of been born in January or later, he would have been ineligible for the draft. Under current rules it is impossible for a bottom age player to be drafted.

IT IS IMPOSSIBLE FOR A BOTTOM AGE PLAYER TO BE DRAFTED.

Stop embarrassing yourself.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Yes you saved this players career and possily his life.

If Saints didnt pick him up, He might of ended up like most south Aussies spending most of the day smoking marijuana and Drinking West end beer. lol
He will be indebted to us for life.

Loved what I saw of him last night, both at the ground and then on the TV. Just attacks the contest with such energy and his kicking was damn impressive as well.

Looks like it will be him v Carlisle for a spot in R1.

Cause.
Kevin
Sheehan
Called.
Carrol.
Bottom.
Age.

Among a myriad of other reasons.

Kevin Vincent Sheehan OAM is a former Australian rules footballer for Geelong and the current Australian Football League National Talent and International Manager, a member of the AFL football operations sub-committee and a selector for the AFL Rising Star award.

Gee I wonder if that counts as being in the footy industry.

Getting close to time to apologize to THE_GUN ladies and gentlemen (?)
Stop saying the Sheehan thing, unless you can provide evidence.

YOU ARE WRONG. AMAZINGLY.

It is stunning to see someone so strongly hold to a position that is demonstrably wrong.

Even the quickest Google shows THOUSANDS of pages using it correctly.

And your evidence is - some nuffys on BigFooty? Seriously?

Shifter didn't say that.

Here's an example of him using it correctly, about Angwin in 2019. A quick Google shows Shifter using it correctly dozens of times.

Ryan Angwin
Gippsland Power, NAB League / Foster
Height: 184cm
Weight: 74kg
12/12/02
Left footed medium forward/defender with silky skills and a high footy IQ. Knows how to find space, is a composed decision maker who is creative with the ball in hand. Good athlete with his agility (8.42 seconds-AFL Agility run) and endurance (6 minutes 12 seconds for 2km) both very good in preseason testing. Played 11 games as a bottom ager averaging 11.5 possessions (5.5 contested) and looked set for a big 2020 before shutdown of NAB League. Able to train with and learn from Port Adelaide’s Xavier Duursma, also from Foster, when the AFL competition was suspended making the most of the circumstances.

Jamarra Ugle-Hagan kicked 2 goals in the VFL practice match vs. Box Hill. Showed a great leap and threw him slim frame around. However Beveridge recently flagged endurance issues with Marra which puts a debut any time soon in doubt. He also just needs to clean up a few things with timing and disposal. Might take longer than most no. 1 picks but it's hard to say before the VFL season starts.

Dominic Bedendo shows some similar signs as JUH. He's got a great leap and took a very nice pack mark in the forward pocket. Unfortunately went off early with an ankle complaint. Haven't heard anything since so hopefully just a precaution.

Lachie McNeil is the surprise from this group. Being a year older and having played SANFL in 2020 has him looking AFL ready. Easton Wood said he had clocked the fastest time during the preseason at around 35km/h. Not only fast but good endurance to cover the ground for all four quarters. Kicked 1 in the practice match against Hawthorn and was involved in a couple of other goals at half forward. Big chance for a round 1 debut.

Pretty happy with how Berry, Pedler and Thilthorpe have played so far for the Crows.
Looking a strong possibility 2 could debut in round 1.

Agree, all 3 look quality & should play plenty of games this year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back