Apple Isle Showdown: Tas Govt threatens to end Hawks, North deals if no plan for 19th side

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Redevelopment of TCA ground into a stadium would’ve been much better than wasting money on Bellerive oval which surrounded by houses

Ive watched a decent amount of games up there. The wind chill factor is 10/10. You freeze. I did a few cricket clinics up there in summer as a kid n it was pretty cold even then. The location is the best location for transport, restaurants & nightlife’s imo but most older people like to be in comfort these days. It’s why my brother down there won’t go to local footy “I’m not sitting on wooden bench seats freezing my ass off”. I will say though on a nice sat arvo I’d agree it’s the best location.

Should have been a full study into all the locations at the time to see which one should have been prioritised for redevelopment going forward. The media put a few ideas up a few times but nothing concrete by the government. Kent pushed the Showgrounds redevelopment pretty hard. Petty local politics destroyed it imo.

at the time I’d imagine the choices would have been TCA, North Hobart(sentimental I’d say), Bellerive, Showgrounds, KGV & Brighton. Like madmug has said Bellerive was a terrible decision to redevelop that place. No off street parking, no room for an enlarged foot print, no restaurant strip, no nightlife, terrible for public transport, no accommodation close by etc if you’d been doing a feasibility study Bellerive would have come in last. At least Brighton had easy access for people coming from the north of the state.

Ive watched a decent amount of games up there. The wind chill factor is 10/10. You freeze. I did a few cricket clinics up there in summer as a kid n it was pretty cold even then. The location is the best location for transport, restaurants & nightlife’s imo but most older people like to be in comfort these days. It’s why my brother down there won’t go to local footy “I’m not sitting on wooden bench seats freezing my ass off”. I will say though on a nice sat arvo I’d agree it’s the best location.

Should have been a full study into all the locations at the time to see which one should have been prioritised for redevelopment going forward. The media put a few ideas up a few times but nothing concrete by the government. Kent pushed the Showgrounds redevelopment pretty hard. Petty local politics destroyed it imo.

at the time I’d imagine the choices would have been TCA, North Hobart(sentimental I’d say), Bellerive, Showgrounds, KGV & Brighton. Like madmug has said Bellerive was a terrible decision to redevelop that place. No off street parking, no room for an enlarged foot print, no restaurant strip, no nightlife, terrible for public transport, no accommodation close by etc if you’d been doing a feasibility study Bellerive would have come in last. At least Brighton had easy access for people coming from the north of the state.

If the capacity is sub 30k, an indoor venue couldn’t be that hard. There’s plenty of multi sport stadiums around the world to copy. Soccer is summer is it not?

If the capacity is sub 30k, an indoor venue couldn’t be that hard. There’s plenty of multi sport stadiums around the world to copy. Soccer is summer is it not?

This is why I was of the firm opinion back then and still now that a full feasibility study should be done of all options. If it’s financially viable long term I wouldn’t be against it. A full indoor stadium on the hill would the best of any options but it’s got to stack up financially just like the bid stacks up financially now.

WAFL & SANFL are largely self funded though, and serve population bases/economies far larger than Tas. Pro rata, TSL gets more AFL money than either of them. Or do you expect the AFL to fund the TSL so they have a similar salary cap to the WAFL/SANFL?

I am curious as to how a better TSL model would have overcome travel though. Would they have invented teleporters?

TSL clubs too are largely self funded. What figures do you have to say they get more pro rata than WA or SA clubs?

The salary cap issue was about maintaining an amount to differentiate TSL to regional clubs, to offer more for more training commitment. Travel time To pay for better fitness staff & physio etc.

We overcame travel when the horse & cart was introduced a few years back. I understand the new bus machines you mainlanders have are faster.

Maybe we can get the AFL to pay for some of those for us?

Thought bubble but have the main seating fixed in a high stand on one side with all comforts, fixed roof over the oval, or rectangular stadium. The other side has small lighter outer type stands fixed to a huge tray which has the natural gras playing surface on it

The whole playing surface and outer stands can be rolled right out so the whole natural gras surface can be exposed to natural sun and rain, or rolled in in various configurations for different sports. There could be different surface options under the grass tray too, like Tottenham’s ground.

WAFL & SANFL are largely self funded though, and serve population bases/economies far larger than Tas. Pro rata, TSL gets more AFL money than either of them. Or do you expect the AFL to fund the TSL so they have a similar salary cap to the WAFL/SANFL?

WAFL funding is mostly derived from its wholly owned subsidary AFL clubs and its 11 million a year deal at Optus Stadium with the WA Government, as well as several million a year from the AFL for development.

SANFL funding is derived mostly from its 20 year deal at Adelaide Oval where it has management rights during the football season, it gets nothing from Port, and several hundred thousand a year from the Crows as part of its agreement with the SANFL.

AFL funding to the TSL is about 1/4 of that given to the WAFL.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Tassie premier is aiming low with his ambit. Go for your own team plus north or hawthorn playing home games. 13 weeks in a 19 week season if that's how it eventuates. Keep all three and its every week.

That way they have AFL football most weeks in the season, and better to fund a great stadium

The SANFL takes over $20 million from Adelaide Oval. They absolutely rape the 2 AFL Clubs.

Whilst I despise the SANFL cronies, I'm not sure you want the AFL completely controlling footy in SA. As an arm of the Victorian State Government, there is absolutely no doubt where the AFL's priorities lie.

At least the money generated in SA stays in SA, for SA football, its development & the community in general.

WAFL funding is mostly derived from its wholly owned subsidary AFL clubs and its 11 million a year deal at Optus Stadium with the WA Government, as well as several million a year from the AFL for development.

SANFL funding is derived mostly from its 20 year deal at Adelaide Oval where it has management rights during the football season, it gets nothing from Port, and several hundred thousand a year from the Crows as part of its agreement with the SANFL.

AFL funding to the TSL is about 1/4 of that given to the WAFL.

But remember, in Tas, the model is for the AFL team to take money OUT rather than put money in.

But remember, in Tas, the model is for the AFL team to take money OUT rather than put money in.

You've finally got it, well done.;)

Footy is funded by a few crumbs off the table, left after all the $$$ disappear with Hawks, North & some 90000 memberships.

Those crumbs have just been cut in 1/2.

You've finally got it, well done.;)

Footy is funded by a few crumbs off the table, left after all the $$$ disappear with Hawks, North & some 90000 memberships.

Those crumbs have just been cut in 1/2.

I meant from Tas football.

WA & SA clubs make profits which are distributed to the state league.

Tas team will require money that would have gone to the lower levels (government sports funding) to continue existing.

I meant from Tas football.

WA & SA clubs make profits which are distributed to the state league.

Tas team will require money that would have gone to the lower levels (government sports funding) to continue existing.

Of course you mean Tas football. What else

You couldn't count all the money that goes off to Melbourne. It wouldn't look good for your argument. ;)

Anyway, as said, A Tas team would be set up a bit like the WA & SA models. Monies should filter to State league clubs for development.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back