Carlton in the Media (articles, podcasts etc) - Part 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’d include Curnow and Saad to that list too.

A heap of them tried to win. Fogarty was fierce. Silvagni before he went off. OMac when he came on. Newnes hit hard and ran hard.

People see the big strong midfielder run through people as he has done his whole career and if others can't do what he does, they think they're not trying in comparison. It's stupid logic.

If 22 of 23 players weren't trying to win, we would have been slaughtered by 20 goals.

Bucky on my blue heaven makes 2 salient points
1) Richmond defeated top 4 sides during their 9thdom phase. Carlton don't

2) The "dig in" players have to be replaced for Carlton to improve. These players are: Casboult, murphy, ed curnow, jones, newnes(dont agree), plowman, williamson(i think). I would also add obrien and dow as question marks.

I think there are at least 2 in the reserves(stocker, kennedy) + martin and williams that are better than the above list.

Michael Barlow article in the Sunday Times in Perth is worth a read. Implies that beyond Cripps nobody in the side showed the will to win against Richmond on Thursday night.

Lots of talk about wanting to play finals this year but he questions the will to back that talk up.....basically implying they are soft.

the article sounds interesting. I think much of it is still a matter of belief. Even when we were four points down, you never had the sense we believed we could win, or Richmond believed they could lose.

That said, I think it’s hard to judge where we are at until Friday. This week is huge. It’s against a side which has had our measure for quite some time. I will say though, I don’t think anyone looked in a self congratulatory mode for pushing Richmond. They looked like they bore the loss pretty hard. But to get belief, we are going to have to start to win games of footy.

2) The "dig in" players have to be replaced for Carlton to improve. These players are: Casboult, murphy, ed curnow, jones, newnes(dont agree), plowman, williamson(i think). I would also add obrien and dow as question marks.

I think there are at least 2 in the reserves(stocker, kennedy) + martin and williams that are better than the above list.

disagree with this we beat Geelong last year in Geelong and ran port to a kick after the siren. Both of those sides were top four sides.

I’d suggest our problem is the opposite of playing well against the good sides.

we got up for the good sides last year - ran most of them close from memory it was the losses to the lesser teams that hurt us. Adelaide Hawks etc.

look at the results this weekend - Adelaide have beaten Geelong and Sydney have beaten Brisbane. Most people would have Adelaide and Sydney in the bottom 4 and most would have Brisbane and Geelong in the top 4.
the competition is extremely close at the moment. Most clubs have got their s**t together now and anyone can beat anyone on the day. Don’t rock up and play to your best doesn’t matter who you are you’ll lose. Richmond played their best on Thursday and I thought we did as well and as a result the better team currently won.

Cats in 2020
Lions in 2019
Giants in 2017
Cats in 2016

Michael Barlow article in the Sunday Times in Perth is worth a read. Implies that beyond Cripps nobody in the side showed the will to win against Richmond on Thursday night.

Lots of talk about wanting to play finals this year but he questions the will to back that talk up.....basically implying they are soft.

Seems that lots of Fremantle 'people' think that Cripps to Fremantle is a done deal - this type of article aimed at locals speaks to that narrative.

disagree with this we beat Geelong last year in Geelong and ran port to a kick after the siren. Both of those sides were top four sides.

I’d suggest our problem is the opposite of playing well against the good sides.

we got up for the good sides last year - ran most of them close from memory it was the losses to the lesser teams that hurt us. Adelaide Hawks etc.

look at the results this weekend - Adelaide have beaten Geelong and Sydney have beaten Brisbane. Most people would have Adelaide and Sydney in the bottom 4 and most would have Brisbane and Geelong in the top 4.
the competition is extremely close at the moment. Most clubs have got their sh*t together now and anyone can beat anyone on the day. Don’t rock up and play to your best doesn’t matter who you are you’ll lose. Richmond played their best on Thursday and I thought we did as well and as a result the better team currently won.

The Navy Blues certainly tried for four quarters against the best in the business.A few crucial mistakes and red time cost us dearly . They are much more battle hardened and in sync. Still gutted though ..

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I like 'my blue heaven' for Bucky's passion , but he's definitely a glass half full observer.

I also rarely agree with the Blue Abroad analysis. Applause to them for effort but I would suggest you back your own opinion as opposed to some of those expressed in their podcasts mate

The Navy Blues certainly tried for four quarters against the best in the business.A few crucial mistakes and red time cost us dearly . They are much more battle hardened and in sync. Still gutted though ..

I don't do the 'honourable loss' thing, but...

If we play like that every week, we should beat the bottom of the ladder sides, be competitive against middle sides and sneak some wins against top sides.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

1) Richmond defeated top 4 sides during their 9thdom phase. Carlton don't.

2) The "dig in" players have to be replaced for Carlton to improve. Casboult, murphy, ed curnow, jones, newnes (dont agree), plowman, williamson. I would also add obrien and dow as question marks.
Careful, if Cripps or Walsh have one bad game he might put them on that list too :p

A heap of them tried to win. Fogarty was fierce. Silvagni before he went off. OMac when he came on. Newnes hit hard and ran hard.

People see the big strong midfielder run through people as he has done his whole career and if others can't do what he does, they think they're not trying in comparison. It's stupid logic.

If 22 of 23 players weren't trying to win, we would have been slaughtered by 20 goals.

You’re right - my player ratings were a bit severe, but a number of our players didnt “go” when it was there turn and that was the difference in the end.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Yep awesome effort from Blues. Tigers had only 2 missing from their gf win last year. We were far from full strength.

4x top 4 sides in 5 years? Lots and lots of room for improvement right there.

Look where we were coming from in those years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back