Draft 2021 AFLW Draft discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys,

the live Draft thread is now open here.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Gold Coast have a standout prospect this year in Teagan Levi so will be keen to have the first pick this year. Brisbane have quite a few good talents through, but Levi is a top five pick across the nation, so they would certainly not want to lose top pick to the Lions.

The Academies always seem to find a way to bring their kids in through Queensland though. WA not so much with the Eagles and Dockers happy to pluck out ones from the other Academies.
As explained in the previous post, Queensland has draft zones whereas WA does not.

As explained in the previous post, Queensland has draft zones whereas WA does not.
Fair enough thanks for that, I thought there was only certain parts of Queensland that were zoned off to the respective teams (ie. NT and North QLD respectively) but if it's the whole state split (through the Academy system) then it makes it fairly straightforward who is going where then.

Im not sure what, if any, measures the AFL has in place for this sort of situation, but given the Queenslanders can nominate gold coast or Brisbane rather than the state, it probably wouldn't even require picks before Brisbane's. So it might be a case of first in best served in that regard. The AFL would be switched on to anything outrageous, so there'd still have to be first rounders involved I assume.
I also don't think Gold Coast would be giving an advantage to another club for no reason, theyd want a decent player coming up as well, not just more picks
Yeah I guess what I am saying is when picks don't matter to a club what does another club offer them in a trade.
There are plenty of other things that do matter to clubs (clubs being businesses after all) and some of these things are impossible to track.

I know the AFL approve all trades in the men's comp based on equal value - but how do you weigh up the value of a traded pick that has no value to one team and massive value to another?

I guess it is just another teething issue in a fledgling competition. The sooner the season is full length and the girls are getting paid enough to have an open draft the better.

Yeah I guess what I am saying is when picks don't matter to a club what does another club offer them in a trade.
There are plenty of other things that do matter to clubs (clubs being businesses after all) and some of these things are impossible to track.

I know the AFL approve all trades in the men's comp based on equal value - but how do you weigh up the value of a traded pick that has no value to one team and massive value to another?

I guess it is just another teething issue in a fledgling competition. The sooner the season is full length and the girls are getting paid enough to have an open draft the better.
Yeah I think it wouldn't be an overs offer for sure, but it'd still require first rounder and a player if i had to guess, so theyre still giving up something of value, but it's still a little unfair with some teams knocked out if contention purely because they don't have players that want to go up

My understanding is that the league gets involved in trades involving picks between clubs in different states. I believe every non-Victorian club other than Brisbane made at least one trade with a Vic club last trade period and I believe the Aisling McCarthy deal was the only one that involved a 1RDP. I don't think the league is going to allow any deal that involves GC's first pick unless it involves a significant player or players ending up on the Gold Coast.

My understanding is that the league gets involved in trades involving picks between clubs in different states. I believe every non-Victorian club other than Brisbane made at least one trade with a Vic club last trade period and I believe the Aisling McCarthy deal was the only one that involved a 1RDP. I don't think the league is going to allow any deal that involves GC's first pick unless it involves a significant player or players ending up on the Gold Coast.
Yeah I think that's the go, not necessarily an elite player, but at the very least clear Best 21 + a 1st. I guess this is where international recruits could be super valuable as well, especially if they're FIFO

Fair enough thanks for that, I thought there was only certain parts of Queensland that were zoned off to the respective teams (ie. NT and North QLD respectively) but if it's the whole state split (through the Academy system) then it makes it fairly straightforward who is going where then.
I’m pretty sure players from outside QLD can choose which QLD “zone” they want to go in, in the draft, if they wish to move up to QLD as well.

At last year’s draft, both teams drafted a few players from interstate, where Gold Coast could have picked off one of Brisbane’s 3rd round draftees should they have wanted to. Especially as Indy Tahau’s mother lives down the Gold Coast.

I assume both QLD teams negotiate with interstate players about their prospective move up here.

I’m pretty sure players from outside QLD can choose which QLD “zone” they want to go in, in the draft, if they wish to move up to QLD as well.
I'm not so sure about that.

2019 rules:
Anyone outside of the zone and not an Academy player must select QUEENSLAND.

2020 rules (same thing, just worded differently):
To nominate either the Brisbane Lions or Gold Coast SUNS regions, a Player is required to meet one or more of the following criteria:

(a) be a current member of the respective Club Academy Program, noting:

(i) if a Player moves from one region to another, they need to be domiciled in the new region for a minimum of two (2) years to be eligible; and

(ii) a Club may retain a Player who is aged over 18 years and under 19 years as at the 31st day of December in the Football Year in the Club Academy;

(b) be an open age (older than 18 years) Player that lives in the respective Club Academy Zone (requirement of having been domiciled for a minimum of two (2) years within the zone); and

(c) be otherwise approved by the AFLW List Committee.

Fair enough.

Maybe we’re just polite and just don’t cut each other’s lunch.
Academy rivalry aside, it certainly does seem that way. The Lions have a number of great prospects coming through - three Academy members alone with Maggie Harmer leading the way and Mikayla Pauga and Bella Smith there too - so Brisbane should be pretty excited about the draft this year.

Academy rivalry aside, it certainly does seem that way. The Lions have a number of great prospects coming through - three Academy members alone with Maggie Harmer leading the way and Mikayla Pauga and Bella Smith there too - so Brisbane should be pretty excited about the draft this year.
Are any of the girls, strong inside mids though?

That’s the clear need for our women’s team.

Next would be another developing young tall defender.

Are any of the girls, strong inside mids though?

That’s the clear need for our women’s team.

Next would be another developing young tall defender.
Harmer can play there. She’s a strong utility who played half-back in the academy all-stars game last year and was named onball for the weekend’s game which I will be watching later today.

Harmer can play there. She’s a strong utility who played half-back in the academy all-stars game last year and was named onball for the weekend’s game which I will be watching later today.
Wouldn’t mind your opinion on the top GC and Lions academy prospects in both the boys and girls academies.

GC are pretty good with their information, and their kids get discussed on their board pretty regularly.

We get nothing from the Lions. I couldn’t even tell you if any trained with the senior team during the preseason, or are playing as top ups with the reserves team.

Appears the club has a strict policy of not talking about the academy kids.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Fair enough.

Maybe we’re just polite and just don’t cut each other’s lunch.
If that's the case, Brisbane wouldn't have bothered to apply for special approval to sign Courtney Hodder as a rookie.

She would have just nominated for the draft, selecting the Queensland zone. And the Suns would have opted against drafting the 3-time U18 All-Australian, out of consideration for the Lions' feelings.

Wouldn’t mind your opinion on the top GC and Lions academy prospects in both the boys and girls academies.

GC are pretty good with their information, and their kids get discussed on their board pretty regularly.

We get nothing from the Lions. I couldn’t even tell you if any trained with the senior team during the preseason, or are playing as top ups with the reserves team.

Appears the club has a strict policy of not talking about the academy kids.
COVID has made it pretty difficult with information. In terms of the boys, I'd go back through my notes from last year more than anything else because I'll be gearing up for focus on that once the women's season is done (juggling the two for a period of time).

From the girls academies, the Lions have a fairly even group. Harmer really impressed me in the All-Stars game last year as I said off half-back, really strong hands, looks like she can slot in anywhere. Pauga is that mid-fwd type who is quite exciting. Showed some great signs last year and has moved to Bond University this year which I presume is doing Uni studies (haven't been able to interview them because of COVID). She played at Maroochydore with both Harmer and Bella Smith (tall key option).

Lucia Liessi is one who is highly rated as a key position player, really strong/stocky body which I hope doesn't play against her because we know sometimes it can, but she's got talent and can play up either end. Christine Okesene is rated highly as an over-ager, had some injuries and is one we have interviewed a couple of years back at the 2019 champs, whilst Phoebe Baird and Abbey Hewett are the other top-agers I'd like to see more of. From a 2004-perspective, Kadie Fletcher made her debut for Aspley on the weekend and impressed named amongst the best, while Charlotte Mullins and Ella Smith are also at Aspley (will be checking that game out), and Brooke Sheridan is usually amongst the best for the Gorillas too.

The Suns have more players in the 29-player squad, but aside from Levi I'd rate the next few from the Lions Academy above others. Thought Jasmyn Davidson was an impressive goalkicker for the Sharkettes last year - but was named at FB before the Suns' Academy game was pulled - and Keyshia Matenga is an over-ager with elite line-breaking ability. Lily Tarlinton played at the '19 champs and is a ruck/forward.

If that's the case, Brisbane wouldn't have bothered to apply for special approval to sign Courtney Hodder as a rookie.

She would have just nominated for the draft, selecting the Queensland zone. And the Suns would have opted against drafting the 3-time U18 All-Australian, out of consideration for the Lions' feelings.
Hodder was signed as a cross code rookie from Rugby Union, the same as any other team signing a netballer, basketballer, etc.

Hodder was signed as a cross code rookie from Rugby Union, the same as any other team signing a netballer, basketballer, etc.
Not the same as any other crosscode signing, not even close. The rule is the athlete can't have played footy in the prior three-year period. Hodder clearly didn't meet this criteria.

She played 2 years of Union. It is pretty close.
Played footy in one of those years, too. It takes either tremendous ignorance or brazen insincerity to claim her situation was anything like a typical rookie signing.

Played footy in one of those years, too. It takes either tremendous ignorance or brazen insincerity to claim her situation was anything like a typical rookie signing.
Played Union and AFL in the one year? Wasn’t aware of that.

Thought she played for the Western Force in 2018, injured most of 2019 but played for Australia in Rugby at the end of the year, played for the QLD Reds in 2020.

That’s three years playing rugby.

No ignorance or insincerity. Not every fan knows the full life story of every player. Just going by the news article posted at the time, and player bio put out by the club.

So take your attitude and you know the rest about where the sun don’t shine.

Played Union and AFL in the one year? Wasn’t aware of that.

Thought she played for the Western Force in 2018, injured most of 2019 but played for Australia in Rugby at the end of the year, played for the QLD Reds in 2020.

That’s three years playing rugby.

No ignorance or insincerity. Not every fan knows the full life story of every player. Just going by the news article posted at the time, and player bio put out by the club.

So take your attitude and you know the rest about where the sun don’t shine.
In 2018 she was a member of the AFL Women's Academy squad, played in the WAWFL and was selected for WA's U18 team for the fourth-straight year (and would have played if not for injury). She was also selected as an over age player in 2019.

Unawareness and ignorance are one and the same. Just a fact, not a question of attitude, and thus no need to be sensitive or defensive about it. Showing some gratitude for the information I've shared would be more appropriate, because now you know better than to make that absurd point about cut lunches in the future.

In 2018 she was a member of the AFL Women's Academy squad, played in the WAWFL and was selected for WA's U18 team for the fourth-straight year (and would have played if not for injury). She was also selected as an over age player in 2019.

Unawareness and ignorance are one and the same. Just a fact, not a question of attitude, and thus no need to be sensitive or defensive about it. Showing some gratitude for the information I've shared would be more appropriate, because now you know better than to make that absurd point about cut lunches in the future.
lol one (cut lunches) has nothing to do with the other (Hodder).

Check out the article I posted above, and tell me what conclusion someone who hadn’t heard of Hodder or her junior AFL career before, would draw?

lol one (cut lunches) has nothing to do with the other (Hodder).
Brisbane sought special permission to sign her as a rookie because they were worried about GC drafting her. A fair indication that politeness isn't part of the equation. It's more a matter of all clubs not trusting any other club and trying to screw the opposition before getting screwed by the opposition, hence the need for academies and zones in the first place.

Check out the article I posted above, and tell me what conclusion someone who hadn’t heard of Hodder or her junior AFL career before, would draw?
Somebody who hadn't heard of Hodder before would probably arrive at a rather ignorant conclusion. Not a big deal, though hopefully they wouldn't throw a tantrum when later presented with a more complete picture.

Brisbane sought special permission to sign her as a rookie because they were worried about GC drafting her. A fair indication that politeness isn't part of the equation. It's more a matter of all clubs not trusting any other club and trying to screw the opposition before getting screwed by the opposition, hence the need for academies and zones in the first place.

Somebody who hadn't heard of Hodder before would probably arrive at a rather ignorant conclusion. Not a big deal, though hopefully they wouldn't throw a tantrum when later presented with a more complete picture.
Mate, not throwing a tantrum, but you threw out insults, when the information you were providing obviously comes from insider knowledge.

How is anyone not connected, supposed to know Lions sought special permission, and know GC was circling?

And then you throw in the insult again.

As I said, stuck your ignorant comment where the sun don’t shine.

Mate, not throwing a tantrum, but you threw out insults, when the information you were providing obviously comes from insider knowledge.

How is anyone not connected, supposed to know Lions sought special permission, and know GC was circling?

And then you throw in the insult again.

As I said, stuck your ignorant comment where the sun don’t shine.
I have no insider knowledge, just information from publicly available sources. It's not an insult to tell somebody they're wrong, but go ahead and take it that way if you wish.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back