Rumour Tales from the Henley Beach Cafe: CROWS 2021 RUMOURS

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
116 players were taken before Butts in his draft year.

5 players were taken before McAsey

Using pick 6 on him was, and always will be, a dumb decision.

Not always. There is a point with a key defender that using pick 6 is a good decision. That point is roughly a gun two way KPD (I.e. the Rance/Taylor/McGovern of this world).

I don't know if I'd classify a Talia like career as worth it for pick 6 though. I can live with it without being upset, but it is underwhelming.

It's not the absolute worst thing to spend on, but its certainly frivolous for a top 10 pick.

Not always. There is a point with a key defender that using pick 6 is a good decision. That point is roughly a gun two way KPD (I.e. the Rance/Taylor/McGovern of this world).

I don't know if I'd classify a Talia like career as worth it for pick 6 though. I can live with it without being upset, but it is underwhelming.

It's not the absolute worst thing to spend on, but its certainly frivolous for a top 10 pick.
None of the 3 you mention were anywhere near pick 6 though.

None of the 3 you mention were anywhere near pick 6 though.

No, however, they've all had a career you'd be chuffed with if you got that from a pick 6.

One extra pre-season, one SANFL season.

Has also played 3 AFL games vs McAsey's 10.
It's great that Butts has developed so quickly, but it doesn't mean that McAsey is never going to make it. At this stage of their careers, Talia & Doedee hadn't even looked like playing an AFL game. I remember lots of supporters saying that Bock was pathetic & would never be an AFL player. Some take longer than others no matter what number they were drafted. Even 12 months ago, there was a thread created saying that O'Brien was the worst ruckman in the comp & he then went on to be our club champion.

It's great that Butts has developed so quickly, but it doesn't mean that McAsey is never going to make it. At this stage of their careers, Talia & Doedee hadn't even looked like playing an AFL game. I remember lots of supporters saying that Bock was pathetic & would never be an AFL player. Some take longer than others no matter what number they were drafted. Even 12 months ago, there was a thread created saying that O'Brien was the worst ruckman in the comp & he then went on to be our club champion.

I'm not saying he won't make it. He probably will, by some sort of definition of that word.
Just not a pick 6 level of 'making it'.

Last edited:

Meh. Look at the 2009 draft. Talia would not be out of place in the top 10 in a theoretical redraft.

Meh. Look at the 2009 draft. Talia would not be out of place in the top 10 in a theoretical redraft.

Ah 2009, back in the days when the Crows nailed it at the Draft with mediocre picks. Talia at 13, Gunston at 29 and Shaw at 45. Pity that we couldn’t retain Gunston and that Shaw’s promising career (2012 form) was destroyed by concussion effects.

in contrast Port used 3 first round picks on: ‘The Future’ Butcher at 8, Moore at 9 and Jasper-Pittard at 16.

That’s arguably worse than picking Jones and McHenry ahead of Butters and Duursma respectively in 2018.

Butts had the luxury of spending the entire 2019 in the SANFL playing for a competitve side and under the wing of Otten.

Seriously... Otten was brilliant that year the way he was the “general” in defense in that crows SANFL team.. he really had all the young blood like butts, scholl, hamill etc etc all working as a well oiled defensive unit..

Guys like Butts would’ve learnt a hell of a lot that year.

Then Mcasey comes along.. gets the covid rort that saw him get no opportunity to play himself into form in the SANFL before making an AFL debut.. and instead he was thrown into to the deep end into the defensive line of our AFL team.. A team that was absolutely terrible.

No wonder Butts’ development is miles ahead of McAsey!..

I like big Butts.. but comparing him and McAsey’s development is pretty unfair to McAsey..

Oh absolutely - imagine how many youngsters watching him dazzle will want a crows top with Rankine on the back of it..gees, I might buy one too!!!

a black duffle coat with the wooden toggle buttons or the hard core green army coat from the army disposals??

I'm not saying he won't make it. He probably will, by some sort of definition of that word.
Just not a pick 6 level of 'making it'.

While you're predicting the future can you PM me next weeks Powerball numbers and Melbourne Cup trifecta?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I revealed here a while back how upset Shooter was with how his injury was handled at the AFC.

Nicks said in his latest presser that Hinge's surgery decision was up to him, is that a change in policy?
No.its always been the case

Players, their managers and the club have always worked together in exploring surgery vs non-surgery options with the player getting a fair bit of say in the final decision

Shooter was no different and was looking for reasons to mask his real reason for moving $$$$$

On SM-G973F using BigFooty.com mobile app

116 players were taken before Butts in his draft year.

5 players were taken before McAsey

Using pick 6 on him was, and always will be, a dumb decision.

And how often does this happen? Gems appear well down list - Sloaney comes to mind.

Players, their managers and the club have always worked together in exploring surgery vs non-surgery options with the player getting a fair bit of say in the final decision

Shooter was no different and was looking for reasons to mask his real reason for moving $$$$$

He was upset after a particular Showdown.

I'd care more about why McGovern left if he proved himself to be a good player, but he hasn't
I'd say he had shown much more promise and ability whilst he was here playing with the crows than when he left and is with Carlton. His career has taken a sharp turn backwards since leaving us

So interesting story, the planned developments at Alberton oval, a lot of the local residents are opposed to it and have a campaign running. The Advertiser and Sunday mail came in to do a story on it but have now advised that they won't run the story. Port power have said if they did, they would block all player interviews with them all season.

So interesting story, the planned developments at Alberton oval, a lot of the local residents are opposed to it and have a campaign running. The Advertiser and Sunday mail came in to do a story on it but have now advised that they won't run the story. Port power have said if they did, they would block all player interviews with them all season.

wow if Crows did that, the AFC would be pilloried from pillar to post.

After reading your post I decided to google.... never a good thing, I fell down the rabbit hole and found this:
(not really on topic as a rumour, but a very entertaining read :) )

https://www.sensational-adelaide.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=2657&start=1035

Maybe since Burton left and prior to his his employment at the AFC but I know for a fact with a player no longer on our list that was definitely not the case during Burton's tenure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back