Autopsy Round 3, 2021: Hawks lose to Cats, Easter Monday

Remove this Banner Ad

Never thought i'd be writing this after round 3, but Worpel having a spell in the 2's and Cousins coming in to offer some more midfield spread is something i'd probably consider if I was Clarko. Worps looks a shell of the player he was.

Frost has been immense the first two weeks. I'm happy to forgive him. Before he came to the club we were warned of these performances from him. It's taken a while but this was his 'mare afternoon.

Ditto Howe. Good the first two weeks but cost us massively late in the game. It's not just the skill errors, it's the decision making to begin with. Both kicks should have been to the opposite spot that they did. The fact they missed the targets makes it even worse.

Kosi and Brocky looked overawed by the occasion. Don't care if its unpopular, but i'd be giving Kosi a spell and telling O'Brien it's time to step up.

I may be in the minority, but I cringe when Titch gets the ball like I used to when CJ had it. He just constantly wants to chip short or handball sideways. It doesn't suit our new game style at all. Been very disappointed with his pefrormances the past 2 weeks and it has nothing to do with his endeavour. Just want him to play a more attacking brand of footy.

Loving Morrisons season so far.

CJ excellent again.

Impey was BOG for us in my opinion (along with JOM).

Welcome back Chad. I want that every week from you!

Moore was decent again. Once again did a few things that would have gone unnoticed. 3 times in the final quarter he was burning his opponent pushing inside 50 and all 3 times he was ignored. Finally got on the end of 1 to take the advantage and kick that goal.

Phillips was good I thought. 21 disposals at 85% efficiency. That may surprise a few.

Lewis competed wonderfully and looked a different player to his 2020 form much like Harry Morrison.

Heartbreaking result. Proud of the comeback. Could end up like Freo last season where we look promising all year but don't quite get the full reward. Very interesting game against them next weekend.

Five points:

1. Harry Morrison is not a fringe player. He's best 18. His form the last 3 weeks has been great, but especially in the first half, he was reading the general play better than any other Hawk. Always in correct spot, super composed on the ball, provided a midfield outlet when we were transitioning forward. Exceptional game from him.

2. CJ's speed of development is incredible. Last week he hit PBs in terms of metrics and this week, he's gone and beat them. His disposal gets cleaner and cleaner each week, only one, maybe two, really poor clangers IMO. I reckon the previous player who has come into our team with as few amount of games but with this much impact, would be Cyril himself. Incredible what CJ could become.

3. Howe should be dropped. Yes, he does have good games and can offer us good utility (see last week). But he has not cured his main issue which is his decision making, and it hurts us so much. He's not a young guy anymore, at 25, so I am skeptical he can cure this, particularly where it's between the ears for him. He's a player that will fill a role, but he wont drive us forward, and so, I think younger options should be preferred.

4. JOM's best game. Ever. He was absolutely mental today. Clean by hand and foot. Exceptional outlet in the mid. Handled pressure beautifully and always looked to go forward. Drive and power throughout his game. Just outstanding from him. After the game I wanted to see if the stats confirmed my thoughts, and some of it is just insane reading: 13 clearances (highest on ground), 5 tackles, 34 disposals at 77% (half being contested), 83% time on ground, 7 score involvements. Immense.

5. Give the young forward line time. The forwards didn't really click till Q4, but that being said, there were very few games between them. Lewis (22 yo), Kozi (20 yo), Brockman (18 yo), Moore (21 yo). Only Breust, Wingard and Cegs give us any experience. I'd argue most disappointing was Ceglar, who had zero impact this game and deserves to be dropped.

Good signs. Young boys showing flashes, some shining brightly. Lewis' last quarter was just awesome.

IMO I'd rather our list than Geelong's, as they don't look anywhere near winning a cup, and with the pensioners they have in their side, their impending fall off a cliff will be large.

Vanilla Morrison was good today as a linkman. Felt like most of our effective entries came off the back of his hard running and clean disposal. Not particularly damaging but his job is to get the ball from the scary end of the ground into the hands of the guys that can finish it.
Role player who played his role - there is enough flair at the back and need some more up forward but we need reliable guys to do a job - hoping Harry becomes that

So lose the vanilla line -

As frustrating Howe’s decision making is, don’t think his effort was that bad. I like him as a defender. He’s much better suited to playing in defence than as a midfielder.

He is a shocker. Has been looked after for years by the club. Schoey and O’Brien have copped it and he has survived somehow.

nice fella as I have been at training when he stops and chats and signs autographs etc but unfortunately not AFL standard.

I may be in the minority, but I cringe when Titch gets the ball like I used to when CJ had it. He just constantly wants to chip short or handball sideways. It doesn't suit our new game style at all. Been very disappointed with his pefrormances the past 2 weeks and it has nothing to do with his endeavour. Just want him to play a more attacking brand of footy.

I thought he was good today TBH. He was targeted really aggressively and still managed to work his way into the game, though beaten by O'Connor. There was that one pass inside 50 when everyone was bombing it long but he hit up a target and we kicked a goal.

he's never going to be a piercing kick but understands he's not much of a runner and looks to pass it sideways because blokes like Harry, CJ, Flip, Impey etc. are better than him

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Great test for the boys. 2 GF teams back to back and showing some fight back is really amazing to watch.

Every time Wingard and JOM in the middle something special is happening.

Cangkuoth Jiath, very exciting to watch. Can't wait till Gunston comeback and lead our young forwards again.

Howe will be 26 in a week. If you were to become a decent player at AFL level you would know by now. Under no pressure can’t even execute an easy 30 metre kick, his awareness/peripheral vision is hopeless and he moves so slow. Time to find some decent players and give someone else a go.

Said it 3 years ago and people finally seeing it. We are going nowhere while he is getting a game.

So we can keep good teams to low scores - the foundation is there.

1. One goal per quarter more and we win our fair share.

2. Composure comes with experience - our 0-25 game players will develop very quickly this year.

3. Sicily will provide us a tonne of composure when he’s ready.

Good signs are there.

We will take a lot from that game. We lost it with unforced errors but had some very good ball movement.

Lewis and Brockman came good in the last, after struggling for impact during the first three. Morrison made very good decisions and looks like a genuine best 22. Scrimshaw was excellent, as was Hardwick. Jiath is learning very fast and when he matures will be one of the best intercept, run and carry players in the game. O'Meara is finelly starting be trust his knees. I am confident Worpel will come good - we know he can play.

Frost is a bit of a worry because, good as he is, by this stage in his career he should be over his brain fades. Howe is an honest but limited player - good depth but nothing more. I think we should consider Hartley over Hartigan.

Could we have won with TOB rather than Kosi? Probably - but I am not unhappy that we are sticking with Kosi, who has a lot to like and should have more scope for improvement.

Really good effort in the end. We're a work in progress and you can't complain with a young team willing to dig their heels in and take it on.
CJ and Scrimmers - I see them as vital cogs in an established Hawthorn defence in coming years.
I think it's worth sinking more game time into Kozi and Lewis than bringing O'Brien back in. Kozi has a sublime goal kicking technique. Looking forward to seeing his hulking frame penalizing defenders for dropping into the hole.

And O'Meara was fantastic.

‘O’Brien for Howe? I remember schoey used to get the Howe role

with chad and punky spending significant time away from fwd, the fwds are really light on for experience

Last edited:
All part of the plan... had them sheeting themselves but to win this one us as supporters would be getting ahead of ourselves, so we had to turn it over couple of times .. I just wish we told the umps we would screw it up ourselves and didn't need to give every damn line ball decision to the pussies

On SM-G973F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Role player who played his role - there is enough flair at the back and need some more up forward but we need reliable guys to do a job - hoping Harry becomes that

So lose the vanilla line -
Thought he was our most composed player when everyone else at the start of the game had their nerves on fire flumbling and missing targets.

I did post before the season in another thread somewhere that this guy has a high footy IQ and smarts - he just lost it for a season, like many 2nd and 3rd players do, doesn't mean he's our best player, but by geez those types are important. Compare his composure to Phillips? Like night and day.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back