Autopsy AFL 2021 Round 4 - Swans v Bombers Thurs April 8th 7:20pm EST (SCG)

Who will win and by how much?

• Swans by a goal or less

Votes: 2 3.3%
  • Bombers by a goal or less

Votes: 2 3.3%
  • Swans by 7 - 20

Votes: 19 31.1%
  • Bombers by 7 - 20

Votes: 4 6.6%
  • Swans by a lot

Votes: 29 47.5%
  • Bombers by a lot

Votes: 4 6.6%
  • Draw

Votes: 1 1.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

It's not damning at all without context. Were they all correct decisions? If not, which ones were blatantly wrong, how many were 50-50?

If he sees 16 free kicks for Sydney, is he expected to even the count up and just pay some to Essendon for nothing?

I bang on about it, but people seriously need to move on from "free kick count being equal = a well officiated game". Dumbest logic on BF and that is saying plenty...
Even in context, we should have been awarded far more HTB free kicks with perfectly executed tackles, especially in the last quarter.

It's not just the free kick count, it's what actually happened that matters. We had 36 tackles in the last quarter, many of which should have been HTB, including Cox's tackle on Hickey with 40 seconds to go. In fact, Hickey was caught HTB so many times tonight and it wasn't paid against him. Also the deliberate out of bounds rule was interpreted differently for Sydney and for us all night.

And blatant missed free kicks in front of goal too. So yeah, 16 free kicks to 1 by that umpire is atrocious in context.

Now you know what its like to watch the tigers on G for the last few season. Every 50/50 decision only goes one way.
Hahaha do you actually know what the free kick differential looks like in the last 5 years? If you did then you wouldn’t be saying that. Also, free kicks were 25-15 Sydney’s way in our game against Sydney last week so the facts don’t back you up I’m afraid.

If we are looking at free differentials, the swans have been on the positive side of free differential 4 times since 2005. Yet the clowns on here seem to think we are looked after. Either the stat means nothing, or the people on here are talking out their arse. Can't have it both ways.

Nuffies are nuffies.

FK differential was 28-14 against Sydney vs Adelaide 2 weeks ago. But you hear nothing.

FK differential was 25-12 towards Essendon vs Hawthorn round one. But you hear nothing.

Spell me Essendon fans.

Mate we’ve lost in rd 3 for 3 years running, frankly losses in April don’t really bother me. What does bother me is incompetent umpiring in favour of teams like yours and Geelong when you play at home. If it’s true that one umpire paid 16 free kicks to Sydney and 1 to essendon, don’t you think that’s a worry? I’d be saying the same thing if the game was at marvel and the result was reversed.

Thats funny. The noise at the G has helped Tiggers with umps for many years. Very funny post by you.Very funny.

Even in context, we should have been awarded far more HTB free kicks with perfectly executed tackles, especially in the last quarter.

It's not just the free kick count, it's what actually happened that matters. We had 36 tackles in the last quarter, many of which should have been HTB, including Cox's tackle on Hickey with 40 seconds to go. In fact, Hickey was caught HTB so many times tonight and it wasn't paid against him. Also the deliberate out of bounds rule was interpreted differently for Sydney and for us all night.

And blatant missed free kicks in front of goal too. So yeah, 16 free kicks to 1 by that umpire is atrocious in context.

Did you mock Clarko when he complained about us having 100 tackles but not one HTB decision?

Or mention poor umpiring a few weeks ago when you got 25 to 12 frees ?

Mate we’ve lost in rd 3 for 3 years running, frankly losses in April don’t really bother me. What does bother me is incompetent umpiring in favour of teams like yours and Geelong when you play at home. If it’s true that one umpire paid 16 free kicks to Sydney and 1 to essendon, don’t you think that’s a worry? I’d be saying the same thing if the game was at marvel and the result was reversed.

Exact same differential in our other home game against Adelaide in Adelaide’s favour so yeah your made up theory is rubbish. Have been dead last as the team on the free kick differential over the last 10 years and you think there should be some worry after this game pffffft
Hope your outrage was as strong when Scott Jeffrey paid frees only to the dogs in the 2016 Grand Final...
You’re transparent it’s not your outrage to umpiring that has you commenting.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Did you mock Clarko when he complained about us having 100 tackles but not one HTB decision?

Or mention poor umpiring a few weeks ago when you got 25 to 12 frees ?
Not really because Hawthorn had a reason to complain. And yes I did mention we got the rub of the green against Hawthorn, but that's like the first game in a long time we had decisions go our way. With the amount of times we get screwed by the umps, I don't care if the ump kicks it for us himself for the next 10 weeks.

Once is alright, twice is annoying, but every time we play Sydney at the SCG though?

How can you argue that? Papley picked up the ball after the whistle had blown moved then forward realised nothing was on and tried to reverse his decision to play on.

You don’t get to check if it’s advantage before you take advantage.

The umpiring was shithouse.
It always is shithouse.
The 1st Hickey one was the correct call everyday of the week.
The 2nd Hickey one was a shocker.
Plenty of instances where Bombers players were spun 360, dropped the ball, "play on". (We see this kind of shithouse umpiring every week as Swans fans, then they ping JPK for just looking at the ball.)
Plenty of other examples of double standards, particularly front on contact in a marking contest.
Buddy would be spewing because that free kick will probably be the last one he gets this year.
How many goals did Bombers score from free kicks?

Surprised to see the free kick differential this morning when i looked at the stats. Hickey, could have been called holding the ball for sure. Lost of frees not given for both sides last night for holding the ball. Several Essendon tackles went high and frees not given.
Not a great umpiring display overall

Ugly win for sydney, but the better team overall on the night. Poor kicking at goal and trying to keep Buddy happy a few times didnt help us.
4-0 for the season start, 3 wins more than most tipsters would have had us

There is really no reason for the free kick count to ever be lopsided. There are hundreds of letter of law infringements every game. If they only paid the significant grievances there might be reason for unbalanced counts, but the decisions are so random in their significance.
I don't really agree with this one. Last year Ablett was struggling to defend so he would give away a free instead to try and slow down oppo rebounding from our f50. That's how he got suspended. All things paid fair the fee kick count there should have a couple extra on one side of the ledger

Who cares, we don't want to win anyways, we aren't contenders this year it will just hurt our draft. We turned up and played competitive for most of 4 quaters! Very happy.
I'm quite excited by this new plan of yours given we have your second rounder. Please stick to the plan and no more beating the saints

Wrong.
They changed that rule when they banned 3rd man up.
his prior wasnt grabbing the ball, it was taking steps and attempting to dispose of the ball after he took it out of the ruck.

The WORST lopsided frees were deliberate OOB where 3 very questionable calls were paid against Essendon. One for spoiling the ball from Buddy's hands! Then in the last few minutes a swans player kicks 60m to touch in their half-forward flank where no one was standing and it's a ball in.

I don't really agree with this one. Last year Ablett was struggling to defend so he would give away a free instead to try and slow down oppo rebounding from our f50. That's how he got suspended. All things paid fair the fee kick count there should have a couple extra on one side of the ledger

Intentionally giving away frees is a significant grievance. Incidental high contact, htb decisions, slight holds in the contest that significantly favour one team are generally arbitrary and could be a lot closer.

It's not damning at all without context. Were they all correct decisions? If not, which ones were blatantly wrong, how many were 50-50?

If he sees 16 free kicks for Sydney, is he expected to even the count up and just pay some to Essendon for nothing?

I bang on about it, but people seriously need to move on from "free kick count being equal = a well officiated game". Dumbest logic on BF and that is saying plenty...

Haha I agree that free kick counts don’t have to be equal but 16-1 is a huge statistical outlier.

Back