Melbourne: what do we make of them

Remove this Banner Ad

You’re not even slightly engaging the argument in good faith. None of the examples you’ve made are even vaguely comparable.

You’re right though I was unnecessarily abusive, I apologise
Don't ever apologise, double down

Melbourne look good.

Bulldogs look good.

Its April.

Both up n about but have they got the end of September stuff.

History says no.

Richmond still the team to beat

On SM-G925I using BigFooty.com mobile app

Agreed and I'd have Port ahead of us as well. Still very early in the season, Brisbane and West Coast probably deserve to be ahead as well although WCE's injuries could play a factor.

They get my vote for May Premiers.

Looking very, very good right now and will need to choke big time to miss top 4.

This season (like every season) will come down to who is fit and firing in September. But hats off to the Dees, they have set themselves up nicely and look like they have the troops to push deep into September.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not sure if they have the class and KPP quality to seriously contend, but their Richmond win has given them plenty of credits to show that they will be at least top 4.

Not sure if they have the class and KPP quality to seriously contend, but their Richmond win has given them plenty of credits to show that they will be at least top 4.

KPP quality? Really?

Our KPP quality would be up there with the best in the league.

It’s the class of our smalls and bottom 2/3 players that could be our issue.

I get a North 2016 feeling about this Melbourne team

The 2016 North side who had a very soft early draw squeezing the last out of a bunch of key veterans averaging almost 28 years of age on the field, vs. a team averaging 25.5 years of age, having defeated the prior year’s premiers and runners up, with only a couple of critical players over 25 years of age?

Yeah nah.

Melbourne may well fall in a hole, but it won’t be for the same reasons North did in 2016.

Firstly, Melbourne were due a poor game. There's a reason teams don't routinely win 7 games in a row.

To outscore the opposition by 49 points in the second half when you're collectively horrible is what good teams do.

As for the comparisons to North in 2016 ?

In 2016 North didn't have one star of the game (Brent Harvey was already an old man at 38). Melbourne have up to 8 players in AA contention, the best ruckman and a top 3 mid. Melbourne's best players are better than North's of 2016. But yes, all were horrible today (bar Langdon and Pickett).

In 2016 North didn't beat the previous year's grand finalists in their unbeaten run of 9 straight games. When they eventually played Hawthorn and West Coast (2015 GF teams) they lost to both. Melbourne have already beaten both of last year's GF.

In 2016 after round 7 North had the 7th best defence. In 2021 Melbourne have the no.1 defence.

In 2016 after round 7 North had the 6th best attack. In 2021 (with 2 games to go) Melbourne will most likely have the third best attack (subject to Essendon scoring 115+).

It's an easy throw away line to say that the Dees are North of 2016 until you peel back some basic facts. The best teams have the best defences. North didn't in 2016, but Melbourne do in 2021.

Why does everyone keep saying this? Our bottom few players do their job when they can but ultimately when players like Trac and Gawn have all time shockers like they did today there’s not a lot the role players can do when they can barely get into the game. Our issue is the inconsistency/non-performance of the stars. If they don’t do what they should we’re just an ordinary football side with some very talented players, as opposed to a champion side who gets the job done even with a few very ordinary players, which is what all the great teams are.

KPP quality? Really?

Our KPP quality would be up there with the best in the league.

Yea, really. Probably should have said KPF's really.

The improved Tominlison is a big out and the injury did not look short-term.

KPD's are still high quality, but I am not entirely sure if McDonald (who has been having a good season to this point and may very well continue being dominate after a poor day today), Weiderman and Brown would stand up when September rolls around. Happy to be proved wrong of course, but that is the perception I have gotten watching the Dee's so far this year. Probably won't find out until September.

Jackson and Gawn are a fantastic ruck combo. Pickett covers for a lot of your small player deficiency and Fritsch (medium) is a gun. I think your depth and bottom players have been the biggest improvement so far this year.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back