Western Bulldogs and their partnership with Ballarat a success

Remove this Banner Ad

No you have to pay, not extra. You bought a 9 game (or 3/6) membership.

This is really simple stuff I can’t believe people haven’t worked it out by round 4 ffs. You have a membership it allows you to purchase a ticket for free in your chosen area midweek before the game, If you have an away membership you’re allowed a general admission ticket for free. If you want to upgrade that ticket you pay.

Theres nothing complex or unusual about this system does everyone have to be babied and have their hand held by the club throughout the whole process every single week fu** me swingin

edit: This is not referring to problems with Ticketmaster/ticketek, those systems are shithouse and a nightmare to use at the best of times. But that’s not the clubs fault.
1618022978452.gif

I’ve been to every H&A game that we’ve played at MARS. Always a good day out on the hill. Today no exception.

However, getting in was a bit of a farce today. Much worse than I’ve ever encountered. Got there 20 mins before the bounce and there was a 300 meter line down the road to get in via gate 1. Couldn’t understand it at the time, until getting to the front and the entire gate was being scanned in by just 2 people with scanners. There have been higher attended games there that haven’t had anything like it. Hopefully just a one off.

I’ve been to every H&A game that we’ve played at MARS. Always a good day out on the hill. Today no exception.

However, getting in was a bit of a farce today. Much worse than I’ve ever encountered. Got there 20 mins before the bounce and there was a 300 meter line down the road to get in via gate 1. Couldn’t understand it at the time, until getting to the front and the entire gate was being scanned in by just 2 people with scanners. There have been higher attended games there that haven’t had anything like it. Hopefully just a one off.
Hopefully that will massively improve when Gate 2 comes into operation for the August game later this year. The new entrances at gates 1 and 2 are supposed to be state of the art and will vastly be a big improvement from the current arrangements being larger, fully covered and allow far quicker admission. But in the mean time, by August Gate 1 will likely be closed because it will hopefully be under construction as a state of the art check in facility too. We just have to accept these things in the short term and rest assured that by 2022 there will be very noticeable improvements to amenities, entrances, and catering (at the developed parts of the ground). These should set the ground up as a very fan friendly venue before its next round of expansion and building beyond 2023.

Those of you who went to the game on Saturday would have seen the framework at the Southern end for the new toilets to replace those nasty portaloos and for the new Gate 2 well underway. You'd have seen that the hill has partially been concreted. My bet is that we may see the remainder of the hill eventually disappear and replaced by a covered grandstand and the displaced soil from the hill used to create a natural extension of the old scoreboard hill eastward and planted with trees behind to create a natural Southerly windbreak.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I manage to avoid it every time - probably due to the Luna Park entrance tattoo on my derriere, with the mouth positioned to advantage. 😉
... In other words your other half may not always be kidding when he/she looks at you from time to time and says "I can't believe the crap that comes out of your mouth at times" :grinv1:

Geezus the mind boggles. I'm stll still getting over the idea that you wear shorts and short sleaves in the dead of a Ballarat Winter. :eek:

Last edited:
... In other words your other half may not always be kidding when he/she looks at you from time to time and says "I can't believe the crap that comes out of your mouth at times" :grinv1:

Geezus the mind boggles. I'm stll still getting over the idea that you wear shorts and short sleaves in the dead of a Ballarat Winter. :eek:

Shorts isn't too much of a stretch really, the cold is just a state of mind. Seriously, I can work outside in shorts most days, unless there's wind. Just need something warm up top to block it, and a beanie - RWB of course! And keep active. And wood fire going indoors for when knocking off before dark!

The Ballarat Council released its 2021/22 Budget last night announcing upgrades to local football reserves including $4.8 million to upgrade the Alfredton Reserve as well as a further $2.7 million for ongoing Mars Stadium upgrades.

Mars Stadium - 29 Apr 21a.jpg

In other news this clipping is from this morning's Ballarat Courier where the Western Bulldogs conducted a footy clinic in Creswick yesterday targeting local kids in the former gold rush township North of Ballarat.

Caesar.png

The Ballarat Council released its 2021/22 Budget last night announcing upgrades to local football reserves including $4.8 million to upgrade the Alfredton Reserve as well as a further $2.7 million for ongoing Mars Stadium upgrades.

View attachment 1119556

In other news this clipping is from this morning's Ballarat Courier where the Western Bulldogs conducted a footy clinic in Creswick yesterday targeting local kids in the former gold rush township North of Ballarat.

View attachment 1119555

"Caesar and staff" - not exactly players is it? Tbh, if an elite sporting club was offering a clinic, you'd expect players to be involved.

View attachment 1119556

View attachment 1119555
Do you have a link with more info on the upgrades to Mars and alfredton?

"Caesar and staff" - not exactly players is it? Tbh, if an elite sporting club was offering a clinic, you'd expect players to be involved.
Yes true, but it's good to get out waving the flag and to be giving out promotional material etc. The clinic would have been conducted by either players or nominated local Bulldogs reps like Brett Goodes. The players are likely to get less involved in these programs during the actual footy season, and people expect that. But the players do engage more during the off-season.

Do you have a link with more info on the upgrades to Mars and Alfredton?
Not at this stage, the Council Budget does break down the money more in an itemised list without delving into the specifics. I did calculate from the tenders awarded last year that so far at Mars Stadium, the current round of upgrades including partial concreting the hill, new toilets, new gate entrances, player change room upgrades and new catering facilities had so far cost between $2.3 million to $2.5 million out of an allocated $6.6 million. So where the money is being spent after that is anybody's guess.

The Council have been making rumblings recently about the usage of the Showgrounds site after 2023 when they close, and there has been talk about car parking. Perhaps some of the remaining money will be spent to purchase part of the private land on the old Eureka Valves site to establish a car park that will compliment both the new Sports and Events Centre as well as Mars Stadium. That would be consistent with the 2015 masterplan for the area.

I also know that the Council are quite keen to get the lighting fixed at Mars Stadium too and interestingly the computer generated graphic taken from the Council Website was originally titled "Mars Stadium 2021-24". It's an interesting graphic because it shows Creswick Road to the right duplicated and new bus bays and drop points near the new entrances. It also shows six light towers re-arranged around the oval where as there are currently only four that are partially filled with lights. If you look carefully to the top left of the picture there is a large building situated between the Sports Club and the Eureka Stand over the existing netball court. Considering that the North Ballarat Sports Club are building two new netball courts 100m North from the sports club they may be getting rid of the existing netball court? I am suggesting the possibility that, that non-specified building may in fact be a new catering facility? That idea has considerable merit because by locating it there it would be conveniently used by the stadium patrons, the North Ballarat Number 2 oval users and the netballers.

Mars Stadium - 29 Apr 21a.jpg

Last edited:
I’m currently in the lovely town of Ballarat and would love to see ALL this promotion the town gives us that people say exists.

Can someone point me to an actual place so I can see anything at all because in the 3 years I’ve been coming here I won’t seen squat

I’m currently in the lovely town of Ballarat and would love to see ALL this promotion the town gives us that people say exists.

Can someone point me to an actual place so I can see anything at all because in the 3 years I’ve been coming here I won’t seen squat
Perhaps start with the club's office in the middle of town... painted blue, can't miss it!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back