The Generational Malaise of South Australian Cricket.

Remove this Banner Ad

How did this go? My reservations about this style of competition is whether the players are truly invested in winning matches for their club/team, or do they just treat it as an individual stepping stone to greater opportunity?
Had a practice game feel and intensity to it. Scheduling meant that often the Redbacks and 2nd XI players weren't available which weakened the competition.

Some of the better 1st Graders who were a bit older and not in the frame for 1st class selection didn't play so often there were State U19 kids topping up teams.

It was a recommendation of the Hussey Review (which happened 12 months ago) to get rid of it and focus on reducing the number of grade clubs.

But when you look at the long term results, it's clear something isn't right and needs changing in the set up.
This is the key point.

The lack of success has been for such a long time that it's conclusive that the structure doesn't work. There's no purpose in retaining what we have.

The lack of success has been for such a long time that it's conclusive that the structure doesn't work. There's no purpose in retaining what we have.

What happens if they change the structure and the results stay the same?

Could it be as simple as there is not the talent coming through?
All of the SA youngsters good enough to play for Australia have played for Australia, haven't they?

What happens if they change the structure and the results stay the same?

Could it be as simple as there is not the talent coming through?
All of the SA youngsters good enough to play for Australia have played for Australia, haven't they?
Changing the structure of grade cricket would have a pretty big impact here as the grade clubs all have juniors (Supposedly the elite juniors)

So it would impact down to 10 year olds

Wouldn't just impact 1st Grade cricket

Whether it works, who knows. But the logic is sound and they are in a position where they have to make changes

Changing the structure of grade cricket would have a pretty big impact here as the grade clubs all have juniors (Supposedly the elite juniors)

So it would impact down to 10 year olds

Wouldn't just impact 1st Grade cricket

Whether it works, who knows. But the logic is sound and they are in a position where they have to make changes

The structure is doing its job of filtering the elite junior talent. There is just not enough of it (junior talent). Having fewer teams isn't going to turn grade cricketers into state cricketers.

The structure is doing its job of filtering the elite junior talent. There is just not enough of it (junior talent). Having fewer teams isn't going to turn grade cricketers into state cricketers.
The elite talent is spread too thin at all levels

Fewer clubs will condense the talent at all parts of the pathway. Higher standard games will produce better cricketers

The elite talent is spread too thin at all levels

Fewer clubs will condense the talent at all parts of the pathway. Higher standard games will produce better cricketers

You might get higher standard games but I doubt it produces better cricketers...by that I mean it doesn't turn average cricketers into above average cricketers.
They've tried similar kinds of things in County Cricket and League Cricket in England, it never produced better cricketers.

You might get higher standard games but I doubt it produces better cricketers...
Higher standard games do produce better cricketers. Also means every training you have is better.

Reducing grade clubs was just one recommendation of the Hussey report. It's not a magic bullet, there were heaps of others

Apparently they’re going to have a crack at a couple of Vic premier guns Stepien and Blake Thomson and maybe even Seymour as well

CV officials believe Geelong opener Eamonn Vines, Prahran No 3 Damon Egan, Melbourne top-order batsman Blake Thomson and on-the-rise Footscray paceman Jordan Buckingham will be recruiting targets for the Redbacks.

St Kilda quickie Henry Thornton is another player expected to attract interest.

CV officials believe Geelong opener Eamonn Vines, Prahran No 3 Damon Egan, Melbourne top-order batsman Blake Thomson and on-the-rise Footscray paceman Jordan Buckingham will be recruiting targets for the Redbacks.

St Kilda quickie Henry Thornton is another player expected to attract interest.
Are they all the ones mentioned for those behind a pay wall?

Are they all the ones mentioned for those behind a pay wall?

Yep

Also Tasmania want another keeper

Tasmania is also tipped to come at Victorian players, particularly dashing Carlton wicketkeeper-batsman Brayden Stepien.

Yep

Also Tasmania want another keeper

Tasmania is also tipped to come at Victorian players, particularly dashing Carlton wicketkeeper-batsman Brayden Stepien.
Stepien isn't a great keeper, he'll be there as an opening bat

I think SA should chase one of Harper or Gotch honestly. Both should be playing FC Cricket.

Stepien isn't a great keeper, he'll be there as an opening bat

I think SA should chase one of Harper or Gotch honestly. Both should be playing FC Cricket.

I was hoping they'd be a chance of getting Short given he already plays for the Strikers.

I was hoping they'd be a chance of getting Short given he already plays for the Strikers.
Should have chased him earlier IMO.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Anyone know what grade clubs the new additions will be joining? Also is there any updates on a merger for the upcoming season in the grade competition?

Great signings - given who you can realistically attract, good age profile McSweeney and Carder and the others will play a role. Not sure about Buckingham, 21 wickets @ 25 in 15 games in Vic Grade cricket. Ranked #37 on wickets.

A bit disappointed really.

Love the idea of going for the 10-15th ranked players at other states - but thought we'd look at the ones who had some real upside.

Not sure most of these blokes do. Doggett excepted, maaaaybe McSweeney, feels a lot like a list of honest battlers who were probably closer to 15-20 for their states.

Look forward to the SACA side from last year being pretty similar and seeing Doggett, Carder, McSweeney, McAndrew, Buckingham split between Kensi, Uni & Glenelg and not where they're probably most needed.

A bit disappointed really.

Love the idea of going for the 10-15th ranked players at other states - but thought we'd look at the ones who had some real upside.

Not sure most of these blokes do. Doggett excepted, maaaaybe McSweeney, feels a lot like a list of honest battlers who were probably closer to 15-20 for their states.

Look forward to the SACA side from last year being pretty similar and seeing Doggett, Carder, McSweeney, McAndrew, Buckingham split between Kensi, Uni & Glenelg and not where they're probably most needed.
Mcsweeney would have been next in line to play for Qld this season if any of the top 6 were unavailable. Killed it in premier cricket all season with bat and ball. Fell off a little towards the back end of the season but was averaging around the 100 mark for a fair chunk of the 2 day season. Great pick-up for you guys imo.

So Weatherald, Hunt, Head, Carey, Nielsen, Agar, Worrall and Doggett you'd think are the all conditions locks and then Carder, McSweeney, Pope, Winter, Lehmann and Scott are in a bit of a dogfight depending on whether they want an all rounder, keeper at 6, 5 bowlers, more spin or an extra quick etc.

Will be interesting to see the SACA produce anything that's not a road given Worrall hoops it, Agar bowls with genuine pace and bounce and Doggett nips in around

So Weatherald, Hunt, Head, Carey, Nielsen, Agar, Worrall and Doggett you'd think are the all conditions locks and then Carder, McSweeney, Pope, Winter, Lehmann and Scott are in a bit of a dogfight depending on whether they want an all rounder, keeper at 6, 5 bowlers, more spin or an extra quick etc.

Will be interesting to see the SACA produce anything that's not a road given Worrall hoops it, Agar bowls with genuine pace and bounce and Doggett nips in around
Agar's speed was well down this season compared to his breakout season. Too much off season gym and not enough bowling. Doggett significantly quicker right now from what I can tell.

Based off last season Agar is far from a lock. I wouldn't be surprised to see Kerber start as the #1 spinner. Right now I think their side would be:

Hunt
Weatherald
???
Head
Carey
Nielsen
???
Kerber
Worrall
???
Doggett

I think Head needs to bite the bullet and just bat at 3, Carey 4, Nielsen 5 and then 2 of McSweeney, Carder (or he could bat 3 if necessary), Scott and Lehmann after that. Winter is one I'd love to see return, the guy can play

Remove this Banner Ad

Back