Coach Carlton Coaching Group 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Just listening to Matt Rendell on SEN. He says if we don't make eight this year, Teague is in trouble. Suggests we go hard after Clarkson to replace Teague. Mitchell is next coach in waiting there, and maybe running out of patience putting pressure on Hawthorn. Stated Clarkson not happy with doing a rebuild at Hawks, and going to an improving team with a window ajar/opening for short term finals success would be more to his liking. Also he would likely attract top players as well. Suggested he keep Teague on coaching panel. Sounds good, but he would demand top dollar. I'm not sure on this strategy, as we've gone down this path before, i.e, Pagan & Malthouse, and failed. Thoughts?
If Mitchell is the next senior coach at the Dawks and he is running out of patience waiting for Clarkson to move on... why not go for Mitchell if we get rid of Teague.

That being said, listening to GuesSEN will rot your brain.

Problem is, they were just gut running to make space...then the turnover came...
That is usually the way it works, our guys gut run to get into position, then our lack of cohesive structures through the middle means we turn it over and our guys are knackered and can run the other way.

Plenty of contempt for the bloke on past actions, so would be a little torn if we took him on. I don’t see him as revisiting the Malthouse debacle. MM was never invested seduced by his own ego. The bloody book tour bull sh*t should have sent alarm bells to our management. I am comfortable that if Clarkson comes to us we will get 100%, totally different character. I am confident any decent coach will take our group to the ultimate success.

I would love to support Teague, but too many red flags for mine. The Cuningham plan that reverted to Owies to be accountable for Lever was absolute delusion. Setterfield the obvious (Willo from the non selections or one of our 3rd tall defenders Plowman or Parks would have been better options). They are throwing too many illogical Hail Mary options to give me any confidence.

Well put. I can never forgive Clarkson for breaking Ian Aitkin's jaw king hitting him from behind and for triple teaming Fev so he couldn't join Buddy on 100 goals, even though they were 10 goals ahead. Complete dog acts.

Well put. I can never forgive Clarkson for breaking Ian Aitkin's jaw king hitting him from behind and for triple teaming Fev so he couldn't join Buddy on 100 goals, even though they were 10 goals ahead. Complete dog acts.

I was brought up by my mother to hate Neale Balme for what he did to Geoff Southby. But I guarantee we would be a much stronger club and team if he was brought into Carlton when we were trying to come up from rock bottom.

I don't think you win premierships by having qualified commitment. 'We'll do everything humanly possible within the rules to win, but Balme knocked out one of our favourite players once, so even if he's the best, we'll never consider him'. That to me is crazy. And I LOVE sentiment in the game, but I think I hate being easybeat losers way more than I love sentiment.

And Clarkson, yeah at the time I was livid at the triple-teaming of Fev on 99 when Hawthorn were 10 goals up.

But on the other hand, we constantly bemoan how soft we are. How we never keep our foot on the throat of the opposition. How we get 5 goals up and don't turn it into a 10 goal win. How we lack mongrel. How we lack ruthlessness. How we've de-prioritized winning.

Clarkson triple-teamed Fev because we were going through him 100% of our forward entries. And he didn't let sentiment or 'good for footy' distract him from his goal: to always do everything possible to win by as much as possible, every single game.

He's a bastard who needs to win, and will do anything to win.

He's the sort of bastard you hate, until he's your bastard.

The only questions are:

Do we want that?

Does Clarkson still have that in him?

Everything else is a distraction.

I find it interesting that people highlight the quality of assistants at Swans and Demons, clearly due to the rise of both clubs

Pretty sure the same thing was said last year about the Saints assistants

I mean, how would anybody here know

the difference is that stain kilda's "rise" was a PR/media furphy - Melbourne's turnaround is the real deal, and our club was sitting on it's hands while they were giving their coach the support he needed

the difference is that stain kilda's "rise" was a PR/media furphy - Melbourne's turnaround is the real deal, and our club was sitting on it's hands while they were giving their coach the support he needed

Hindsight is a wonderful thing, last year no one was saying the Saints rise was a false dawn.

Now everyone here is crediting the rise of the Swans and Demons on assistants, which again is fraudulent analysis

We even had a poster claiming the rise of the Lions was in part due to having premiership experience in the coaching ranks, when in actual fact they are part of the AFLW program. Their AFL side have an array of non AFL playing experience

So the question remains, how would anyone here know the effectiveness of any assistant, league wide

Hindsight is a wonderful thing, last year no one was saying the Saints rise was a false dawn.

Now everyone here is crediting the rise of the Swans and Demons on assistants, which again is fraudulent analysis

We even had a poster claiming the rise of the Lions was in part due to having premiership experience in the coaching ranks, when in actual fact they are part of the AFLW program. Their AFL side have an array of non AFL playing experience

So the question remains, how would anyone here know the effectiveness of any assistant, league wide

My one consolation of season 2021 thus far is that I never rated the stains and have said this all along.

As to the point of individual assistants, I'm not sure that's what most are getting at - notwithstanding the posts assembling supercoach style coaching teams - it's more about trends of the structures and hiring practices at the successful clubs, and the need for modern head coaches to work through their assistants. Hardwick the best example, his turnaround coinciding with a mix of better support personnel and a change in personal approach.

As for the right support personnel, we can get a picture of who the 'effective' assistants are through a mix of pattern recognition and industry commentary. It's not precise but it's not unknowable either.

My one consolation of season 2021 thus far is that I never rated the stains and have said this all along.

As to the point of individual assistants, I'm not sure that's what most are getting at - notwithstanding the posts assembling supercoach style coaching teams - it's more about trends of the structures and hiring practices at the successful clubs, and the need for modern head coaches to work through their assistants. Hardwick the best example, his turnaround coinciding with a mix of better support personnel and a change in personal approach.

As for the right support personnel, we can get a picture of who the 'effective' assistants are through a mix of pattern recognition and industry commentary. It's not precise but it's not unknowable either.

The only commonality is having a talented maturing list, that is ready to challenge

As I have mentioned previously, no issue with changing all of our assistants, but that isn't addressing core issues

Im not in favour of clarko or any other messiah types. Just improve what you’ve got and we will get there without risking a similar fallout that occurred after Malthouse. Too costly. We won how many wooden spoons.

Teague is good with attack. He is young and enthusiastic.
Get the best midfield and defence assistants possible.

Ressies is going well so player development should follow.

Off field things are going well.

So just keep tweaking rather than make wholesale changes. We can’t afford to * this rebuild up.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

the main difference is barker. he will forever hold us back and needs to go.

Sam McClure, stated that Carlton are happy with Teague..
His Carlton mail is normally pretty tight...

So looks like we are going to stick with Teague :unsure:

What sort of Assistants do we now need then?
  • People who will challenge and support Teague (No more Yes men)
  • Assistants that have proven they can structure a game plan so all 3 zones can work together as a team
  • Proven finals performers
  • Proven strategist
Who would you have?
(Have to be mindful of the cap)

Director of Coaching - Justin Leppitsch (Chris Judd)
Head of Football - (Lloyd)

Senior Assistant - ? (Worsfold)
Forwards - ? (Bruce)
Midfield - ? (Stanton)
Stoppages - ? (Barker)
Defence - ? (Amos)

Fitness - ? (Andrew Russell)

Personally I'd get rid of Director of coaching role (duplicated role), as well as move Andrew Russell on for someone cheaper to save $$$ on the soft cap...
Put Leppitsch as Head of Football and he can report to the board.. Use the money saved on better assistants..
Judd is on the Board.

He is not Director of Coaching.

Board roles are honorary and voted on by members typically.

Sent from my SM-N975F using Tapatalk

Listening to Sellars last night, would have to agree with him that Lloyds position is compromised. Matthew Lloyd seems to know everything that is coming out of Carlton and does not miss a chance to take a pot shot. Teague will be wary of Leppitsch knowing that he could be undermined, just like he undermined Bolton....allegedly...
Worsfold is past his use by date.. You have Gary Ayres coaching his 250th game at Port Melbourne this week, previously coached Adelaide and Geelong, and assistant to Sheedy at Essendon. He been involved in footy non-stop since he retired, knows the VFL better than anyone, he would be an excellent Senior Assistant.
I don't watch any of these shows, but what has M Lloyd specifically said that sounds like inside info from Brad?
Matthew has already slammed Sellers for falsely attributing those remarks to him. He said that he's never made any comments about the Carlton coaching department and that Brad never discusses these things with him.
Brad's position isn't compromised because Sellers doesn't know who to correctly attribute quotes to. Seems to be doing a good job, in my uninformed opinion, but if he doesn't effect change in the coaching ranks at the end of this year, that assessment will change.

You wouldn't know, nor does anyone else here.
I don’t know... 2018. Made head of high performance (where our players couldn’t run out games) and strategy (where he was supposed to come up with plans b and c to Bolton’s plan a). We came last. Our injuries didn’t factor into things... we sucked that year, everything went backwards.

The following year, we went 1 and 10 in the first 11 games after Barker was dropped back to being stoppages coach. He basically got the arse as the head of strategy and high performance.

if Barker was any good at what he does, he would

1. Have been made senior coach in 2015.
2. Gotten any of the other senior coaches roles he has applied for,over the years.
3. Been made interim senior coach after Bolton’s sacking.
4. Been poached as an assistant coach by another club at any point in the last 10 years.

And the big one, if Carlton had any confidence in him as senior coach, he would have been made the senior coach at the end of 2019.

I think everyone who has followed Barker’s career knows that he appears to lack drive and ambition. After getting the nudge for the head of strategy and high performance, anyone with drive and ambition would have looked elsewhere. But he didn’t. Everyone knows that the assistant coaches job is an audition for a top job.

I don't watch any of these shows, but what has M Lloyd specifically said that sounds like inside info from Brad?
Matthew has already slammed Sellers for falsely attributing those remarks to him. He said that he's never made any comments about the Carlton coaching department and that Brad never discusses these things with him.
Brad's position isn't compromised because Sellers doesn't know who to correctly attribute quotes to. Seems to be doing a good job, in my uninformed opinion, but if he doesn't effect change in the coaching ranks at the end of this year, that assessment will change.
You believe Lloyd is doing a good job? What criteria do you base that assessment on?
We are 13th on the ladder on percentage 3-6.
He has overseen the recruitment of Williams, Saad & Martin, and to date all of them have been underwhelming.
It is universally accepted that the development of players has fallen way short of the mark.
Immense speculation about whether the coach and or some or all of the assistants will be moved on.
Harry yet to re-sign, and as every day passes, clubs will make a big play for him.
Walsh off contract next year and must be wondering whether he should have a fresh start or face the prospect of yet another coach...Cripps re-signing may make the decision easier.

If you think Lloyd is doing a good job, then power to you, because from the outside looking in, the Football Dept is all over the place.

You believe Lloyd is doing a good job? What criteria do you base that assessment on?
He has overseen the recruitment of Williams, Saad & Martin, and to date all of them have been underwhelming.
It is universally accepted that the development of players has fallen way short of the mark.
Immense speculation about whether the coach and or some or all of the assistants will be moved on.
Harry yet to re-sign, and as every day passes, clubs will make a big play for him.
Walsh off contract next year and must be wondering whether he should have a fresh start or face the prospect of yet another coach...Cripps re-signing may make the decision easier.

If you think Lloyd is doing a good job, then power to you, because from the outside looking in, the Football Dept is all over the place.
Fair enough to mount a case against Lloyd but none of those points are concerning or really 'fair' or logical. Martin was literally free, Saad has been good when he's not played on 1 leg and Williams needs a bit of time.

The contract stuff isn't his job and is completely normal run of the mill s**t. Yet supporters lose their mind every time and forget that fact in favour of using the situation to throw tantrums.

The biggest criticism of Lloyd (and basically only valid one) is a lack of a review of assistant coaches and action on them. Indecisiveness or lack of action in that realm.

Fair enough to mount a case against Lloyd but none of those points are concerning or really 'fair' or logical. Martin was literally free, Saad has been good when he's not played on 1 leg and Williams needs a bit of time.

The contract stuff isn't his job and is completely normal run of the mill sh*t. Yet supporters lose their mind every time and forget that fact in favour of using the situation to throw tantrums.

The biggest criticism of Lloyd (and basically only valid one) is a lack of a review of assistant coaches and action on them. Indecisiveness or lack of action in that realm.
The contract situation is directly proportional to the on-field performance of the club. If we were sitting in the 8, we would probably not be discussing this.
As Football Director, he is accountable, unless ofcourse you wish to move the goal posts again.

I certainly don't base it on stuff that is out of his control.
Williams, Saad and Martin are all fine recruits. If we can get a consistent 22 on the park for more than a few weeks at a time, we will see them all contributing how they should.
Player development has been an issue since long before Lloyd came along, but how about acknowledging that he has overseen the implementation of our own stand alone VFL side, which has been wanted for quite some time and will see an improvement in development.
How about overseeing the recruitment of Luke Power, which will also benefit this area?

I'm not going to engage in a back and forth over good vs bad things that he may or not be responsible for. I have my opinion on how he is performing and can happily look at the good and the bad.
You have yours, which is fine, but you seem happy to overlook the good stuff and favour the bad, or even burden him with stuff that isn't his domain.

I don’t know... 2018. Made head of high performance (where our players couldn’t run out games) and strategy (where he was supposed to come up with plans b and c to Bolton’s plan a). We came last. Our injuries didn’t factor into things... we sucked that year, everything went backwards.

The following year, we went 1 and 10 in the first 11 games after Barker was dropped back to being stoppages coach. He basically got the arse as the head of strategy and high performance.

if Barker was any good at what he does, he would

1. Have been made senior coach in 2015.
2. Gotten any of the other senior coaches roles he has applied for,over the years.
3. Been made interim senior coach after Bolton’s sacking.
4. Been poached as an assistant coach by another club at any point in the last 10 years.

And the big one, if Carlton had any confidence in him as senior coach, he would have been made the senior coach at the end of 2019.

I think everyone who has followed Barker’s career knows that he appears to lack drive and ambition. After getting the nudge for the head of strategy and high performance, anyone with drive and ambition would have looked elsewhere. But he didn’t. Everyone knows that the assistant coaches job is an audition for a top job.

Let's get some facts into these opinions

The club ousted Trigg and on the back of that, they essentially made it easy for Craig to depart. That poor decision lead to another by the club, having no other option to engage a qualified Fitness and Performance person. This was a failure by the club

Let's get something really clear, let's stop blaming anyone other than the coach for how they want to run the gameplan, strategies and tactics. The coach has the final say, not an assistant

2018 is well documented, youngest, most inexperienced group over the course of our rebuild, with an extradentary large injury list, all areas performed poorly

2019 4th in clearances

2020 4th in clearances

2021 currently 2nd in clearances

They are the facts, the rest is conjecture

I wouldn't have a clue how effective any assistant is, nor do you, nor do 99% of people here. I couldn't care less who the assistants are, as the buck stops with the head coach

Using current ladder position and win/loss to determine projection? How simplistic

2020 4th in clearances

2021 currently 2nd in clearances

They are the facts, the rest is conjecture

I wouldn't have a clue how effective any assistant is, nor do you, nor do 99% of people here. I couldn't care less who the assistants are, as the buck stops with the head coach

As has been repeatedly noted, Clearance numbers don't reflect the quality of our clearances vs the quality of our opposition's clearance. Most perfectly demonstrated in the Collingwood game.

Barker is the Stoppages coach. While Teague can certainly take the blame for our overall structure/game plan and how it effects our defence (man-on-man, lack of zone), and how we score, he's not setting up our stoppages.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back