Apple Isle Showdown: Tas Govt threatens to end Hawks, North deals if no plan for 19th side

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm sure you've noticed that we're still in a pandemic & only have 3% immunisation.

Government won't run it. I'm hoping for a Trust. A structure like WA/SA. (ie with minimal boys club input)
Lmao, you seem so sure.

As for crowds, go look at just the 1st page of the main board, you will see a trend happening, even yourself in this thread, you think the AFL are money hungry grubs who don't give a rats about Tassie footy.

It wouldn't surprise me 1 bit if crowds stopped attending, where i live, it's been happening for years now, no-where near the amount of people from here attend AFL matches.

Inspired by the genius that gave us Canberra 100 years ago, why not build a 50,000 seater stadium on the outskirts of Tunbridge? That way surely everyone will be happy!
I'm sick of this Tunbridge lobby. They can start in Div 4a like everyone else.

2 stadiums upgraded to that size, then maintain them is going to cost a fortune.

If they were just used for an AFL side, yes, however

Bellerive is also hosting international cricket (they get their test back this year, well maybe), and the Hurricanes, plus also has Clarence with its home games there.
York Park usually gets at least one Hurricanes game a year, plus is being used for North Launceston games and other events.

The stadiums wouldn't be purely for AFL.

In your dreams.
Maybe, but is that such a bad thing?

Hawthorn should've been kicked out of tassie the moment they won the 2013 flag. North should never have been allowed down there at all. Neither team should be there right now, all it does is jeopardise the introduction of any team into tassie.

If you want to engage and commit to Tasmania, need to do it properly or not at all. For me, that's one team in Hobart and one in Launceston.

2 stadiums upgraded to that size, then maintain them is going to cost a fortune.
Launceston doesn't need to be upgraded immediately. It's perfectly adequate to start hosting a local Launceston team from 2022.

A new stadium in Hobart next to the CBD is sorely needed to bring international cricket and other concerts/events. not just 11 AFL games per year plus finals. Once that's up and running for a few years, then you could start the discussion about upgrading Launceston over 3-4 stages, but capacity wise 20k is more than enough. Maybe warrants 25k, no more.

Maybe, but is that such a bad thing?

Hawthorn should've been kicked out of tassie the moment they won the 2013 flag. North should never have been allowed down there at all. Neither team should be there right now, all it does is jeopardise the introduction of any team into tassie.

If you want to engage and commit to Tasmania, need to do it properly or not at all. For me, that's one team in Hobart and one in Launceston.

Having a dream is ok. I just don't see it as realistic.

Making it just all or nothing is bound to fail. Geez we're struggling to get one side, let alone 2!!!

Thank God. Someone else who can think outside the square.
A State team is irreversible, and will do tremendous damage long term.

It is obvious.
Nth Tasmania Devils - Launceston
&
Hobart FC

Long term strategy, short term implementation.

Lmao, you seem so sure.

As for crowds, go look at just the 1st page of the main board, you will see a trend happening, even yourself in this thread, you think the AFL are money hungry grubs who don't give a rats about Tassie footy.

It wouldn't surprise me 1 bit if crowds stopped attending, where i live, it's been happening for years now, no-where near the amount of people from here attend AFL matches.

Sorry, I though you were referring to the effects of Covid, not because of the attitude to the AFL organisation itself.

Like witr other disaster, the 1920 Spanish flu, WW2, the crowds came back.
A State team is irreversible, and will do tremendous damage long term.

It is obvious.
Nth Tasmania Devils - Launceston
&
Hobart FC

Long term strategy, short term implementation.

Thinking or dreaming outside a square doesn't automatically make something achievable or even realistic. Whether short, medium or long term.

Thinking or dreaming outside a square doesn't automatically make something achievable or even realistic. Whether short, medium or long term.

One team - Two Cities.

Now who's dreaming and who's being realistic?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

One team - Two Cities.

Now who's dreaming and who's being realistic?
It's far more realistic than a complete structural change of the entire game to a system that is neither popular nor in any meaningful way any better than what we have now. There are no divisional systems in any major Australian sport because we are an egalitarian society that doesn't appreciate elitism. Attempting to have one AFL team play split games between two cities is infinitely more realistic an ideal than the above. I appreciate you feel strongly on the matte. But you are wrong. Give up on this idea and dedicate your talents to something more meaningful. This is a wasted pursuit.

Dude, you're not thinking "outside the square" at all. You are plugging the round plug of Australian football culture into the square whole of English soccer. Thinking outside the square implies genuine creative thinking not derivative stupidity

Dude, you're not thinking "outside the square" at all. You are plugging the round plug of Australian football culture into the square whole of English soccer. Thinking outside the square implies genuine creative thinking not derivative stupidity
The free market is as dynamic as it gets.
You should try it.
Maybe start a business?

It'll be hard enough to get them to agree to the current business plan & ignore the self interest of certain clubs, is all I'm saying.
It wont be easy, but free market policies always win in the end.
Controlled economies always collapse completly.

If the 'Great Reset' comes to fruition, then GWS and GC was collapse as quickly as they were founded, and we would all be wishing the AFL had focused on our mature markets, and not risked the league and club cash on speculative markets, including womens footy. As I said, we have had a 25 year bull run and our game is spectacular. Its hard to fail, but Lets wait until the economic crash comes, and see who's theory or model is more resilient?

If the 'Great Reset' comes to fruition, then GWS and GC was collapse as quickly as they were founded, and we would all be wishing the AFL had focused on our mature markets, and not risked the league and club cash on speculative markets, including womens footy. As I said, we have had a 25 year bull run and our game is spectacular. Its hard to fail, but Lets wait until the economic crash comes, and see who's theory or model is more resilient?

The game survived the depression and the GFC, i think we're good mate.

Whatever the merits of your argument (and I think there aren't many), monopolistic incumbency in the market is VERY hard to overturn.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back