Past #32: Jacob Edwards - drafted w/ #1 in '20 MSD - delisted end '23 w/ 0 NM games & 0 NM goals

Remove this Banner Ad

How does the school footy comp work? do we think we'd get to see him at the vfl at all this year (if and when it comes back)
From memory the last round of regular season is mid July, then finals. Should be done by August. As a year 12 he would not have summer sport commitments (and now as an AFL listed athlete he would be exempt from those anyway).

Look's like a nice prospect. As others have mentioned he will take a few years to learn the game from the likes of Goldy, and put on the required weight. I'm really looking forward to seeing how he develops and I like having blokes over 200cm who can play forward and ruck.

what happened?
As I started, her first question was aimed at if any of the players had called. It was asked in a way to suggest that the Nirrh boys are a pack of arsehokes who wouldn't give you the time of day.
Jacob should have replied with “at least I didn't go to Richmond!”, that would have made the nole squirm.

As I started, her first question was aimed at if any of the players had called. It was asked in a way to suggest that the Nirrh boys are a pack of arsehokes who wouldn't give you the time of day.
Jacob should have replied with “at least I didn't go to Richmond!”, that would have made the nole squirm.
Thank christ, I expected it to involve a question about defrosted chicken!

I think school footy would finish early August

There are only 8 games in the AGSV, round 5 didn't go ahead due to covid, not sure if they are playing it some other time but the normal schedule ends 17th July when Mentone plays PEGS.

There is a development round August 7/8 which is AGSV vs APS but doubt he would go to that.

Last edited:

North Melbourne has bolstered its forward/ruck stocks by selecting highly regarded Sandringham recruit, Jacob Edwards.

Jacob Edwards
202cm, 83kg
Sandringham Dragons

North Melbourne’s eye is firmly on the future, and has bolstered its forward/ruck stocks by selecting highly regarded Sandringham recruit, Jacob Edwards, with pick No.1 in the NAB AFL Mid-Season Rookie Draft.

The club acquired the 18-year-old on Wednesday night.

Overlooked in last year’s national draft, Edwards has caught the eye of recruiters standing 202cm.

North national recruiting manager, Mark Finnigan, said the club’s plans for Edwards extended far beyond the 2021 season.

“We are really excited to bring Jacob to North and look forward to seeing him develop in the coming years,” Finnigan said.

“He fills a need on our list at 202cm, and gives us flexibility as a key forward or ruckman – both positions he’s excelled at in NAB League and school footy.

“His contested marking has been a strength, he reads the play well and his kicking ability for his size, in general play or for goal, is a real asset.

“Coming from Division 4 in the South Metro Junior Football League (SMJFL) to being the No.1 pick in the mid-season draft is a real credit to him and Jacob should be really proud with what he has achieved in the past 18 months.

“Credit must be given to Mark Wheeler (Talent Lead) for identifying him and inviting him into the program and the work that Jackson Kornberg (Coach) and his coaches have done with him this year and his development.”
Mark Wheeler: The Dealer

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jacob Edwards = The Ladder

Welcome aboard Jacob. Always good to see a fellow AGSV bloke join the ranks.

I hope we issue him with an “all you can eat” card for use at the MGS tuckshop.

I always forget you were AGSV. Good footy but s**t swimming school if I remember correctly? :D

Yep. 50c for lunch get you salad roll 30c, buttered roll 10c, packet of cheese twisties 10c to whack on the buttered roll.
Lunch of champions.

Odds on if the Victorian government has anything to do with it.
Yep. 50c for lunch get you salad roll 30c, buttered roll 10c, packet of cheese twisties 10c to whack on the buttered roll.
Lunch of champions.

The old school lunch, I loved the buttered roll and sausage roll with sauce.
Still love it .

This clipping is from the June 3 issue of The Herald Sun Digital Edition. To subscribe, visit https://www.heraldsun.com.au/.

Kangas find a gem in rough
Herald Sun - Thursday, 3 Jun 2021 - Page 69

NORTH Melbourne draftee Jacob Edwards used to go rummaging through hard rubbish on nature strips around Beaumaris in search of retro gems for the family man cave.

Like the piles he used to search, Edwards was left out in the cold when he did not attract interest from a single club after nominating for last year’s drafts.

But the Kangaroos believe they found a gem in the 202cm ruckman-forward , who was secured with the No.1 pick in Wednesday night’s AFL midseason rookie draft.

Edwards received the news of his selection 24 hours earlier on a video call with North Melbourne coach David Noble.

However, even after it became official on Wednesday night, it had still not sunk in.

“It’s surreal. I don’t think it’s even hit me yet,” Edwards told the Herald Sun.

“I was a Saints supporter, but carn the Roos.”

Described by North Melbourne recruiting manager Mark Finnigan as a “unique story” , Edwards was playing Division 4 football for Beaumaris in the South Metro Junior Football League in 2019 before being invited down to NAB League club Sandringham Dragons.

Given football in Victoria was wiped out last year, he now finds himself on an AFL list having played only three NAB League games.

“It’s been a serious step up from where I was,” he said.

“I think once I grew and put a bit of size on, I worked on my skills and it just all clicked.

“A big focus was just getting used to my size. Being such a tall, lanky person, it’s hard to do sharp turns or quick sprints. So getting used to my body in training or games was something I tried to work on.”

The 18-year-old is completing year 12 at Mentone Grammar and will keep studies and school football as his focus.

However, some opposition recruiters believe he is capable of featuring at AFL level for the Kangaroos later this year.

“If I got the opportunity I’d love to take it on board but nothing’s really promised,” Edwards said.

The mid-season draft proved to be the land of the giants, with Edwards one of four players over 200cm to be taken in the top seven selections as clubs targeted developing young ruckmen to top up their lists.

The other three were 205cm Oakleigh Chargers big man Ned Moyle (Gold Coast, pick five), 210cm Carlton VFL giant Alex Mirkov (Carlton, pick six) and 204cm Sandringham Dragons young gun Max Heath (St Kilda, pick seven).

Hawthorn secured inside midfielder Jai Newcombe with pick two, with Collingwood taking 193cm high-flying forward Ash Johnson at pick three.

Ex-AFL players including Tyson Stengle, Wylie Buzza, Riley Knight and Nathan Freeman were overlooked, with clubs taking untried talent.

Copyright © 2021 News Pty Limited

1622670517574.png

Sent from my iPad

Nice work by whatever journalist put that together, comparing an 18 year old man to literal actual piles of garbage left on the street within the first two sentences
Probably Robbo drawing parallels to himself rummaging through the bins outside Fox Footy for a quick feed before last nights show after being on the piss all day..

When you watch that you’d have to say hatred of Caro runs very deep in anyone who finds that question offensive. I think I’ve seen someone ask it in every interview with a new draftee ever.

When you watch that you’d have to say hatred of Caro runs very deep in anyone who finds that question offensive. I think I’ve seen someone ask it in every interview with a new draftee ever.
You’re defending Caro...

Please report to the North re-education camp for processing.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back