News Buckley standing down; Robert Harvey interim coach for 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

Good time to go for the club’s sake you’d think. At least his tenure won’t be a distraction for the board challenge.

He’s too good not to be in footy circles. Wouldn’t surprise me if he ended as a senior assistant or senior coach again.

Senior assistant maybe, but senior coach? He has a little over 50% WL (54% same as Leon Cameron) record with the best resourced club in Australia, full backing to do what he wanted, very little travel and he inherited a side that had just gone 20-2 and played in a GF. If you have all that, and you still win only a bit more than half of the time.....

Some people are missing key elements to Buckley's tenure at Collingwood...

The team showed significant promise early on.

In 2014, they started 8-3.

In 2015, they started 8-3.

They were particularly unlucky in 2015, as they lost a lot of close games to top sides.

When you understand this, the gap between 2013 and 2018 doesn't look nearly as bad. He was absolutely on the hot seat by 2017/2018, but promise in 2014 and 2015 kept him alive long enough to be there in 2018 for the come-up.

I'd argue that Ken Hinkley had a similar coaching trajectory.

100k is a lot of money. People make mistakes I’ll fully agree with that but you do not put someone in charge of an organisation after that type of issue.

Sorry to break it to you but it’s not chaos thinking it’s how society works. All the push about Lyon just wreaks of boys club bs. But I’ll agree that’s it’s getting off topic so will just leave it there. We can agree to disagree. Cheers have a good day 👍

You said it was an accusation. You mentioned nothing of a video.

Seeing as there was a video, that would be classified as evidence - which was the initial argument I posed to you. Evidence being a part of the branch that includes thorough investigations and consistency.

And no, ruining someone's entire life and entire track record, regardless of their race or gender, on the basis of just an accusation of one individual is not how "society works" and I stand vindicated with my post as it was evidence being referred to it that needed to be made thereafter.

In regards to Lyon's situation - which has been backed more in claims than simply an accusation (which you ran with and used as the basis for your point in your reply) - I would say since the matter was closed and a sum of $$$$$$ was more sufficient than a criminal charge for the victim, then that should at least lead us to not assume the worst (in terms what we usually think of as unforgivable) and destroy his future entirely. Therefore, to definitively reply to your original post and question - yes, he can be a candidate for coaching again.

And again, I say, I am glad that the world, and the judgement of many, does not run on pure accusations as that is not a sane, nor a rational way, to go about the livelihoods of individuals, while spitting in the face of those who have been victims of real events that can be proven in some way alongside consistency, and providing ammunition for people that have ulterior motives - who again I stress - have existed.

Your attempt to disprove otherwise is a delusion of grandeur motivated by an ulterior motive, as evidenced by your stubborn approach to what requires a vast amount of rationale and consideration which you are obviously not capable of and never will be. And I'm glad people like that do not make decisions for every day folk who all deserve a fair chance at defending their character at just an accusation.

And with that, we can derail the thread no further. Good day.

Good time to go for the club’s sake you’d think. At least his tenure won’t be a distraction for the board challenge.

He’s too good not to be in footy circles. Wouldn’t surprise me if he ended as a senior assistant or senior coach again.
How many coaches win flags at their second club, without winning one at their first club?
It feels to me like recycled coaches don't often work out, happy to be corrected though.

The 2018 team was a flash in a pan side imo. Our key forward was Cox, yours were Darling, Kennedy. We played well above ourselves just to make it imo.
Backed it up with a solid 2019, in which Collingwood had a home prelim final. They should have gone to back-to-back grand finals.

2020 was, I believe, injury prone? Things fell apart for Collingwood. I do think they could've made top 4 if things were more stable/less injuries.

While I am quite happy as a Bombers supporter to see the Pies (and Blues) struggling so much, it also would have been nice to see all of us in the Big 4 going at it in the big-time.

Oh well.

I hope the Pies and Blues go after those who can steer them toward being respectfully hated, rather than hated but also pitied. It's more fun the other way.

I'll be watching from the sidelines as we chase that elusive 17th.

Last edited:
Buckley proved himself to be a great coach. He was able to build Collingwood back up after the demise of the 2007-2013 squad.

Was he as good as Malthouse? Not quite. Mick was able to get Collingwood to overachieve, bottom out, quickly rebuild/reboot, and secure a premiership.

is it official that Harvey/Sando will coach to end of year ? like, what's the point ? From reading pies board, a lot
are sick of Harvey/Sando.

I am not sure about Bob Harvey but Sandy is Buck's BFF and he certainly won't stick around past the end of 2021.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Backed it up with a solid 2019, in which Collingwood had a home prelim final. They should have gone to back-to-back grand finals.

2020 was, I believe, injury prone? Things fell apart for Collingwood. I do think they could've made top 4 if things were more stable/less injuries.
Imo 2019 Collingwood weren't fantastic. They were heading directly for a 5th place finish until West Coast inexplicably choked at home in the last round to Hawthorn. Then beat Geelong in week 1 who didn't turn up in the first quarter (and still nearly pinched it). Their issue post 2018 was not putting teams to the sword. Their ball movement was sluggish and didn't suit their forwards (Cox, De Goey and Stephenson were hard to defend if the ball came in quickly, but could be negated if you had time to drop numbers back). 2018 if you let your guard drop they punished you for it.

Lies. Terry set him up with killer drafting.

I don't think TW can claim credit for the drafting. And none of those four key players (Riewoldt, Cotchin, Rance, Edwards) were standouts before Hardwick arrived. Riewoldt might've snuck into the top ten in 2009 (spoon year) but was a completely different player under Hardwick.

Although I'm sure the club had a fair idea how good these players were when they knocked back any suggestion of charity draft picks after Hardwick began with the worst record of any coach in history after 7 games.

Last edited:
Senior assistant maybe, but senior coach? He has a little over 50% WL (54% same as Leon Cameron) record with the best resourced club in Australia, full backing to do what he wanted, very little travel and he inherited a side that had just gone 20-2 and played in a GF. If you have all that, and you still win only a bit more than half of the time.....

Didn’t say what league

I think you’re overstating the advantages Buckley supposedly enjoyed. They would be up there, but not sure Pies are the “best resourced club in Australia”. West Coast, Essendon and Geelong would certainly challenge them for that mantle. A few other Victorian clubs travelled as much/little as the Pies.

Im confident Buckley’s 54% win ratio would have been improved considerably if Pies had the advantage of playing most of their home games on an odd shaped oval, where they were the only tenant.

You've just described quite an average bunch of years up until the grand final wins. There was a complete lack of tradjectory till 2017. Not sure what improvement you're on about. It was a stagnant tradjectory, then a very steep fall in 2016 before pulling out a random af dynasty.

When Buckley took over they were similar. Stagnant but reasonably competitive, made finals. And then made prelims and grand finals with not a great list. Where's the sh*t record exactly? You can't improve year on year on year it doesn't work that way. Otherwise clarko would have 10 flags in a row.

Would have to disagree here. Richmond were nowhere, in 2009 we finished second last on the ladder. We had made the finals twice (yep Twice!) between 1983 and 2010 - Hardwicks first year. He took us to our first finals campaign in over a decade in 2013. and again in 2014 and 2015.. 2016 was an aberration, and then, well, from 2017 onward our fortunes truly changed.

Team performance irrelevant. Buckley had to fall on his sword after sticking McGuire in the eye by backing Korda. Looks like Browne has the numbers sewn up for chairman job; Buckley position untenable.

Sad to see him go. A rare point of light and decency in a toxic dysfunctional club.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back