News 2021 St.Kilda Media Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Is that Surry Hills? Looks like the park near my cousin's house.

Surry Hill is a nice spot. I had friends that lived in Darlnghurst and Surry Hills back in the day. I love that part of Sydney. It's more gentrified every time I go there but it was fun back in the 90s.

Surry Hill is a nice spot. I had friends that lived in Darlnghurst and Surry Hills back in the day. I love that part of Sydney. It's more gentrified every time I go there but it was fun back in the 90s.
I spent three days walking around Surry Hills last month (hotel was in Foveaux Street). Caught up with friends who live in Bourke Street.
Absolutely love that part of Sydney: for the architecture, the lifestyle and the ease of getting around. The light rail is brilliant.

I spent three days walking around Surry Hills last month (hotel was in Foveaux Street). Caught up with friends who live in Bourke Street.
Absolutely love that part of Sydney: for the architecture, the lifestyle and the ease of getting around. The light rail is brilliant.

I want to go there now.

All shots:
View attachment 1150378

Set shots:
View attachment 1150379
that is ******* deplorable for AFL footballers

not to mention our 2 main targets are amongst the worst for set shot accuracy
View attachment 7F7AB88F-AA3E-4FE0-B088-58F2951F99F5.webp
Seriously no wonder we’re s**t and drop our heads when our forwards produce this.

Last edited:
that is ******* deplorable for AFL footballers

not to mention our 2 main targets are amongst the worst for set shot accuracy
View attachment 1151209
Seriously no wonder we’re sh*t and drop our heads when our forwards produce this.
Silver lining ...glad we passed on Petracca and Naughton

Hang on, aren’t all the clubs on that list made up of AFL footballers? Someone has to be at the bottom.
Yep ok then. It’s all fine, someone has to be the worst goal kicking team, might as well be us right?
Bullshit, we’ve had one good year in front of goal and that was last year. Every other year we’re at the bottom. That’s not coincidence.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Me too. Most of my family live a very short walk from Moore Park. The ones that give a stuff about footy are obviously Swans supporters. Not fair.
There’s so much history (well, for Australia) there, in that small stretch.
New South Head Road heads out through Rose Bay to South Head. Obvious.
But that name implies that there was an original South Head Road, and there was. It’s called Oxford Street now.
In Oxford Street there remains the underground reservoir constructed back in the day to provide the main water supply to Sydney. It fell into disuse and was converted into an underground car park complete with petrol pumps at the entrance (the old upright Shell ones). Back in the 70’s they were going to demolish it but somehow it was kept. Now it is a spectacular sunken Roman garden.
Then Victoria Barracks further down. That surprised me given the Victoria Barracks here on St Kilda Road. One is sandstone, the other bluestone.
Says a lot about the history of the two cities. Also their architecture.
For someone used to the bland, superficial history of metropolitan Australia, those walks through Surry Hills and surrounds were a blast. The only other place in Australia where I have been excited about my historical surrounds was wandering through Battery Point, Salamanca Place and the CBD in Hobart.
In both spots you would stumble across the most amazing things, often rarely marked, or if so, minutely.
Of course, this is all much the norm in France or the UK…..

But that name implies that there was an original South Head Road, and there was. It’s called Oxford Street now.
In Oxford Street there remains the underground reservoir constructed back in the day to provide the main water supply to Sydney. It fell into disuse and was converted into an underground car park complete with petrol pumps at the entrance (the old upright Shell ones). Back in the 70’s they were going to demolish it but somehow it was kept. Now it is a spectacular sunken Roman garden.
Then Victoria Barracks further down. That surprised me given the Victoria Barracks here on St Kilda Road. One is sandstone, the other bluestone.
For someone used to the bland, superficial history of metropolitan Australia, those walks through Surry Hills and surrounds were a blast. The only other place in Australia where I have been excited about my historical surrounds was wandering through Battery Point, Salamanca Place and the CBD in Hobart.
In both spots you would stumble across the most amazing things, often rarely marked, or if so, minutely.

Sydney hasn't been great at holding on to it's heritage so anything historical is pretty special there. Hobart has a real sense of history with some really well preserved areas. I just finished a book about the early days of the NSW colony, it wasn't that long ago that it was a tiny English outpost and encroaching on some of the more well occupied indigenous areas of the country. The climate and natural abundance there were what attracted the English and a lot of that was because the locals did land management that cleared plains and bushland.

A friend's car was stolen in that neck of the woods a few months ago

A friend's car was stolen in that neck of the woods a few months ago

One of my friends used to live on Victoria street in Darlo, we used to park in his secure carpark underneath the building and every few days they would have ransacked your car when ever you stayed. One junkie was going through my stuff in my car when I was bringing my bags down to leave and she seemed like she was ****ed off about the inconvenience of us being there, not worried that she might get caught. It looked like she was hoping I'd hand her the rest of my stuff to go through while I waited. It was certainly colourful back in those days. He used leave his car unlocked so they wouldn't break windows to get in and learnt to live without a car stereo.

My dad lived in a flat about a minutes walk from that sunken garden until he moved last year. Lovely big open streets with huge trees like most streets in Paddington & surrounding suburbs.
One of my friends used to live on Victoria street in Darlo, we used to park in his secure carpark underneath the building and every few days they would have ransacked your car when ever you stayed. One junkie was going through my stuff in my car when I was bringing my bags down to leave and she seemed like she was f’ed off about the inconvenience of us being there, not worried that she might get caught. It looked like she was hoping I'd hand her the rest of my stuff to go through while I waited. It was certainly colourful back in those days. He used leave his car unlocked so they wouldn't break windows to get in and learnt to live without a car stereo.
My family have lived in that area since 1990 and witnessed almost no crime, but my brother who lives in the family house round the art school of UNSW up behind Oxford Street says there's more meth heads nowadays, but he doesn't ever mentioned thieving. Colourful neighborhood though. I love getting back there when I can which isn't often. Never been to the SCG funnily enough. Usually nowadays when we go to Australia it's during summer, not footy season and I can't stand cricket.

My dad lived in a flat about a minutes walk from that sunken garden until he moved last year. Lovely big open streets with huge trees like most streets in Paddington & surrounding suburbs.My family have lived in that area since 1990 and witnessed almost no crime, but my brother who lives in the family house round the art school of UNSW up behind Oxford Street says there's more meth heads nowadays, but he doesn't ever mentioned thieving. Colourful neighborhood though. I love getting back there when I can which isn't often. Never been to the SCG funnily enough. Usually nowadays when we go to Australia it's during summer, not footy season and I can't stand cricket.

It's not unsafe, it's more petty property crimes. The worst thing I ever lost was a vintage jacket that I loved and couldn't replace and annoying things like breaking locks on the car door and stuff like that. We used to go out around the Cross and dodgy places and never felt in any danger of being hurt even though we were young and stupid. Most of my trouble in Sydney was getting lost and separated from friends when I was off my chops.

I nearly got murdered out in the out west there though, that was proper scary. It was out near Liverpool which in those days was a proper shithole.

That Howard interview quite decent to listen to. He speaks well and pretty honest. Not too much "footy media training". Speaks about the group's mindset, cohesion, how Higgins is coping, how he plans to play on Tex

That’s the Max and Ben dream.

We would have to send Dixon up to Gold Coast to start working on his goal to behinds ratio immediately before he develops good habits.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back