News 2021 St.Kilda Media Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Whoever the Media Manager is at St Kilda with all due respect needs to look at the first 30 seconds of the 'Dare Coaches Message' after last night's loss.
Granted that the concept is probably meant to show Ratten's immediate reaction without any club polish but as the club has control over the video it does him no favours releasing that.

Cherny doing the lord's work here - basically channelling everything we talk about on here.

Cherny doing the lord's work here - basically channelling everything we talk about on here.

Cherny is a Saints supporter. Pretty sure he’d read through here often….

Actually, having read it, it’s all from here so confess….which one of you is Daniel Cherny???

Why do we keep losing games we should win?
IMO It boils down to two things;
Leadership and consistent effort. Sadly we lack both. Not enough campaigners in our leadership group that think that anything less than 100% effort is unacceptable.

Leadership and consistent effort. Sadly we lack both. Not enough campaigners in our leadership group that think that anything less than 100% effort is unacceptable.

Most of our players went to Steiner school and breast feed into their early teens. We need to import some leaders until Byrnes is ready to turn the lights off for them.

Most of our players went to Steiner school and breast feed into their early teens. We need to import some leaders until Byrnes is ready to turn the lights off for them.
I reckon we also have a few Montessori MOFOs who have spent too much time doing sandpaper letters and perfecting their montessori utensils

Have to factor in players on the park. Leadership group - Geary - injured, Membrey and Ross - managed. Half of our leadership not playing from the week before.

Marshall - injured. Clark - now injured. Paton - missed the season. Jones - injured. Gresham - injured. Hannebury - unsurprisingly injured. Frawley - injured. Roberton - retired. Carlisle - injured.

We're about 10 players off a full strength side and we know what our depth is like. When you get that far down on depth, conditioning, skills, all goes to ####. 90+% humidity on top of that doesn't help.

Have to factor in players on the park. Leadership group - Geary - injured, Membrey and Ross - managed. Half of our leadership not playing from the week before.

Marshall - injured. Clark - now injured. Paton - missed the season. Jones - injured. Gresham - injured. Hannebury - unsurprisingly injured. Frawley - injured. Roberton - retired. Carlisle - injured.

We're about 10 players off a full strength side and we know what our depth is like. When you get that far down on depth, conditioning, skills, all goes to ####. 90+% humidity on top of that doesn't help.
Hey Goodie. Hope you are well.
The disappointment for me comes from the fact that we gave up a huge lead. We have done this too many times, even when we have had our full compliment of players available.
Suggests to me we have too many players on our list who are willing to accept mediocrity.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hey Goodie. Hope you are well.
The disappointment for me comes from the fact that we gave up a huge lead. We have done this too many times, even when we have had our full compliment of players available.
Suggests to me we have too many players on our list who are willing to accept mediocrity.
We're all disappointed in that. But it's worth looking at all the factors:
  • We've used 35 players this year - including 4-5 games each from our top-up players (Wood 5, Hunter & McKernan 4)
  • 9 players have played every game (Steele, Billings, Sinclair, Hill, Howard, Wilkie, Higgins, Battle, Butler)
  • Players different to our Elimination Final team vs the Doggies last year - 9 (missing from one of our strongest line-ups last year - Hannebery, Ross, Membrey, Paton, Jones, Geary, Carlisle, Kent, Marshall)
  • Players coming in:
    Long - 7 games this year, plenty of them as medical sub. Last played round 9
    Bytel - 10 games this year, last played round 10
    Lonie - 9 games this year, last played round 10
    Hunter - 4 games this year, last played round 5
  • Players going out:
    Membrey - our best player this year? If not, definitely close
    Ross - senior player, leadership group, been kicking as straight as the rest of the team at goal though
    Geary - co-captain who just can't take a trick
    Clavarino - very different player to the three above
Last year we did well because we made the most of the hub, this year we're a travelling circus, we're haemorrhaging players and the four we brought in were undercooked. There's no VFL to give the second tier game time (Sandy have missed the last two matches).

In contrast - Melbourne have used 31 players, 12 of whom haven't missed a game. Must be nice having Gawn, Petracca, Oliver, Lever and McDonald fronting up for every game (arguable how much they turned up today, but it was that sort of round).

I was livid Saturday night. I roared at my TV (especially when the umpire told Doogs he couldn't defend) and was absolutely gutted at the final siren. But putting emotion aside, conditioning and injury toll are definitely significant factors in this train wreck of a season.

We're getting better! I don't know how many people feel as bad about a game from way back in round three but the bombers are just as awful as the Crows and they kicked the everliving s**t out of us. At least against Adelaide we turned up even if we faded. Against Essendon we were a shambles from the very start.

One of these days we might actually decide to throw every thing we have at the opposition and try to win the game! I wonder what it will take for these players to do what needs to be done.

I've been beating this drum for months now.

Fitness & conditioning
Training intensity and accepted standards
Leadership

Three areas that we can change as early as right now.

I've been beating this drum for months now.

Fitness & conditioning
Training intensity and accepted standards
Leadership

Three areas that we can change as early as right now.

It's tiring isn't it (no pun intended). Months and months of the same old excuses, but no one at the club has yet acknowledged the lack of conditioning or standards. It worrying that this oversight happened in the first place, but even more worrying that it hasn't been acknowledged... surely they've worked it out by now??

Reckons St.Kilda are the best employers in Australia? I’d argue channel nine is given how Caro has a job, honestly.

This is an insensitive, attention seeking blah blah blah, whatever just the media doing whatever they can to fill air time.

We didn’t lose because Seb and Tim weren’t playing, how is that not obvious? I feel for their families, I hope they don’t see this crap.

Reckons St.Kilda are the best employers in Australia? I’d argue channel nine is given how Caro has a job, honestly.

This is an insensitive, attention seeking blah blah blah, whatever just the media doing whatever they can to fill air time.

We didn’t lose because Seb and Tim weren’t playing, how is that not obvious? I feel for their families, I hope they don’t see this crap.

When you are winning everything is cool, you can get in fist fights at 3 in the morning and your "culture" handles it. When you're losing everyone comes under scrutiny. We seem to have had an above average amount of fit guys that sat out games in 2021 but it's not something I've thought about before so I'm guessing it was just coincidental that a few happened in quick succession. If Tillthorp hadn't done his low percentage kick on goal over the shoulder we wouldn't even be thinking about it.

Actually, I think she has a point, we are a “nice” club and I do believe she gets the inside info about the feeling around certain happenings in the club.
( *Ducks for cover….)

She is full of s**t, especially bringing up Ryder what a dog act.

Last edited:
Cherny is a Saints supporter. Pretty sure he’d read through here often….

Actually, having read it, it’s all from here so confess….which one of you is Daniel Cherny???
I hope he doesn't read the crap that's posted here , he will end up like Caro if he does

Thats just crap from carro. Absloute crap.

The more I think about it I'm just incensed by that Caro piece.

It's like she just ignored the fact there's a pandemic and lockdown going on. "They could have just gotten help for his wife." She is at home with three kids under 4 two of them newborns, we have no idea what is going on there but we can assume it would be INCREDIBLY hard. It's not as easy as just saying "a family member can come and help". What about lockdown restrictions? Do we know that there are family members that can help? And maybe Seb's partner just needs him there which is totally understandable. Caro should know that. Just pathetic from her.

And she's also suggesting Membrey should miss the birth of his child? "And the child hasn't been born yet" she says. Oh thanks Caro, didn't realise you were a womb-sayer too now, they should have obviously asked you if Tim's wife was going to go into labour in that period.

Then Cornes brings up "these guys are well paid". Sorry but they are well paid because they are incredible athletes that are good at a sport that masses of people love. They aren't well paid to be away from their families at the last minute for extended periods of time, that's a sacrifice they may choose to make but it's not part of the deal.

Now the fact she also chose to bring up Paddy Ryder being granted leave on compassionate grounds, what the hell??? So because we are losing we just sink the boots in on us caring for our players' wellbeing.

Then you have Lloyd sitting there as well after his hatchet job on King last week.

I think the club should media ban channel 9 until they issue an apology to Ross, * them they are a pack of dogs at a bone and that is the most pathetic piece of "journalism" I've ever seen.

Actually, I think she has a point, we are a “nice” club and I do believe she gets the inside info about the feeling around certain happenings in the club.
( *Ducks for cover….)

Hahaha, no need to duck!

I can definitely see why we could be illustrated as a “nice” club, and yes it’s possible perhaps she is ITK. I just reckon it’s unnecessary media fluff, I don’t think it’s fair to put the loss on Membrey and Ross when we blew a huge lead, and personal leave is personal leave, I’d rather the club take care of it’s players then not. Say what you will about Ryder missing the start of the season, it’s made him a better player in the long run even with Marshall out, and may give him the confidence to play on next year if he can.

IDK, everyone has different management styles I guess, we don’t really know what’s happening behind the scenes.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back