News 2021 St.Kilda Media Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

The more I think about it I'm just incensed by that Caro piece.

It's like she just ignored the fact there's a pandemic and lockdown going on. "They could have just gotten help for his wife." She is at home with three kids under 4 two of them newborns, we have no idea what is going on there but we can assume it would be INCREDIBLY hard. It's not as easy as just saying "a family member can come and help". What about lockdown restrictions? Do we know that there are family members that can help? And maybe Seb's partner just needs him there which is totally understandable. Caro should know that. Just pathetic from her.

And she's also suggesting Membrey should miss the birth of his child? "And the child hasn't been born yet" she says. Oh thanks Caro, didn't realise you were a womb-sayer too now, they should have obviously asked you if Tim's wife was going to go into labour in that period.

Then Cornes brings up "these guys are well paid". Sorry but they are well paid because they are incredible athletes that are good at a sport that masses of people love. They aren't well paid to be away from their families at the last minute for extended periods of time, that's a sacrifice they may choose to make but it's not part of the deal.

Now the fact she also chose to bring up Paddy Ryder being granted leave on compassionate grounds, what the hell??? So because we are losing we just sink the boots in on us caring for our players' wellbeing.

Then you have Lloyd sitting there as well after his hatchet job on King last week.

I think the club should media ban channel 9 until they issue an apology to Ross, fu** them they are a pack of dogs at a bone and that is the most pathetic piece of "journalism" I've ever seen.
The thing with Caro is earlier this year she did the same thing. She flew half way around the world to help her daughter with her pregnancy.

You could argue she is a football journo who should stay in the country during the football season.

Hahaha, no need to duck!

I can definitely see why we could be illustrated as a “nice” club, and yes it’s possible perhaps she is ITK. I just reckon it’s unnecessary media fluff, I don’t think it’s fair to put the loss on Membrey and Ross when we blew a huge lead, and personal leave is personal leave, I’d rather the club take care of it’s players then not. Say what you will about Ryder missing the start of the season, it’s made him a better player in the long run even with Marshall out, and may give him the confidence to play on next year if he can.

IDK, everyone has different management styles I guess, we don’t really know what’s happening behind the scenes.
We stop Ryder from taking his break I reckon he would have burnt out by the third blow out loss. He’s remained competitive and hungry even while the team just gets thrashed over and over.

Why do we keep losing games we should win?
IMO It boils down to two things;
Leadership and consistent effort. Sadly we lack both. Not enough campaigners in our leadership group that think that anything less than 100% effort is unacceptable.

And that is why, ladies and gentlemen, Daniel Hannebery was recruited.

Leadership, effort and being an absolute campaigner to anyone taking short cuts.

Sadly his calves and hammies weren't up to the challenge.

Actually, I think she has a point, we are a “nice” club and I do believe she gets the inside info about the feeling around certain happenings in the club.
( *Ducks for cover….)

There's a massive difference in being a club that supports it's players so they can be in the best possible mental and physical shape and being nice (or soft as inferred).

A club that stops a player from supporting his family is a club in big, big trouble.

Hahaha, no need to duck!

I can definitely see why we could be illustrated as a “nice” club, and yes it’s possible perhaps she is ITK. I just reckon it’s unnecessary media fluff, I don’t think it’s fair to put the loss on Membrey and Ross when we blew a huge lead, and personal leave is personal leave, I’d rather the club take care of it’s players then not. Say what you will about Ryder missing the start of the season, it’s made him a better player in the long run even with Marshall out, and may give him the confidence to play on next year if he can.

IDK, everyone has different management styles I guess, we don’t really know what’s happening behind the scenes.

I'm not saying the club should have denied Ryder, Membrey and Ross personal leave if they thought it was necessary but it's still disappointing to be missing crucial players for important games when they aren't injured.

I also don't think it's unreasonable to say we would have won that game against Adelaide if Membrey and Ross were available, Membrey especially would have made a significant difference by providing us with a badly needed marking target and he's also one of our main goal scorers.

In reality though even if we had beaten Adelaide we still wouldn't be playing finals this year, we play Richmond in a couple of weeks who will probably beat us easily again and that would put a two win gap between us and them in 8th spot.

I'm not saying the club should have denied Ryder, Membrey and Ross personal leave if they thought it was necessary but it's still disappointing to be missing crucial players for important games when they aren't injured.

I also don't think it's unreasonable to say we would have won that game against Adelaide if Membrey and Ross were available, Membrey especially would have made a significant difference by providing us with a badly needed marking target and he's also one of our main goal scorers.

In reality though even if we had beaten Adelaide we still wouldn't be playing finals this year, we play Richmond in a couple of weeks who will probably beat us easily again and that would put a two win gap between us and them in 8th spot.
The worst thing out all this is IF there any truth to Caro's stuff who the F%%ked leaked it
If Tim's Mrs was due over that time of course he should be there
I've changed my mind 10 times on Ross today, what if his Mrs was struggling but they just didn't want it known

I've changed my mind 10 times on Ross today, what if his Mrs was struggling but they just didn't want it known

Totally. My wife had massive post-natal depression after our first, I had to cancel a US trip. Completely the right thing to do. If Seb's wife was in anything like that situation - and quite possible with three kids under 4 - he should clearly be with her, no question at all. Pretty much what Lloyd said on the show - that it's impossible to judge until you know what her emotional state is.

Having one baby can be overwhelming I can’t imagine having three young kids and not having your partner to help you. Obviously some people have to do it but that would be super tough and you never know the mental effect it can have on a person. For some mums it can all become too much and for someone I know of it was too much and she’s no longer with us. What in god’s name were we going to accomplish this season anyway, just ridiculous.

He does not get enough credit on our board and has his lazy moments but this is a great stat to show his commitment in our backline..View attachment 1155854
He is the third ranked key defender in the AFL player ratings.

This ranks him equally as Darcy Moore and ahead of Jake Lever, Weitering and May.

He has certainly been one of our best this season and a great acquisition. Not sure where our defence would be without him and from all reports he has the leadership we need as well.

He does not get enough credit on our board and has his lazy moments but this is a great stat to show his commitment in our backline..View attachment 1155854

The guy was clearly knackered and been under relentless entries all year. He'll get fitter and clear up the brain farts in time, it's further up field that needs to tighen up and help him and the other defenders out. I think he was trying to be a leader taking all the kick-ins, but he'll learn it's ok to hand that over.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Really annoys me that this guy hasn't been in since round one, it was clear in pre-season he's a talent.

Some truth to Caroline's comments regarding Ryder. I said as much shortly after it happened. The rest I'm not sure. Overall plenty of more important things in life than football and the players should know that. Getting upset at team-mates for attending major life events is just another sign of the immaturity of this group.

Get on with it. We made a GF with our skipper out all year once before. Players need to own up and win games of football.

Worth noting that - prior to 2019 - it was exceptional for AFL teams to be out of the state for more than 2 nights. I remember it was a big deal about ten years ago when the Lions went and played two games in a row in WA and stayed in Perth in between. Obviously there's China too, so a few exceptions. But as i say it was just that - exceptional. And those exceptional circumstances were known months in advance.

So, the idea that guys have left their wives with newborns - especially TWINS - for two weeks at a time is rubbish. This is brand new stuff. And though I haven't had newborn twins, I've had friends who have. It is next level parenting.

Regarding this specific situation, if we'd played Sydney in Melbs as planned and then flown up to Cairns for two nights, it's probable that at least Sebby and potentially both of them would have played.

It's kind of impressive that Caro appears to be unaware that a global pandemic is underway. Bravo, Queen.

We stop Ryder from taking his break I reckon he would have burnt out by the third blow out loss. He’s remained competitive and hungry even while the team just gets thrashed over and over.
yes, we stop ryder and he may not have finished this season, and most likely he would not return next season

Reckons St.Kilda are the best employers in Australia? I’d argue channel nine is given how Caro has a job, honestly.

This is an insensitive, attention seeking blah blah blah, whatever just the media doing whatever they can to fill air time.

We didn’t lose because Seb and Tim weren’t playing, how is that not obvious? I feel for their families, I hope they don’t see this crap.

Absolutely agree with Caro 100% about Ross , and posted exactly the same last week. Agree on the several points including professional athletes duties , supporters and sponsors expectations, and team mates prob thinking “ you’re kidding aren’t ya?”
Would’ve been the difference between a win in the end but nobody seems to care about that anymore.

Absolutely agree with Caro 100% about Ross , and posted exactly the same last week. Agree on the several points including professional athletes duties , supporters and sponsors expectations, and team mates prob thinking “ you’re kidding aren’t ya?”
Would’ve been the difference between a win in the end but nobody seems to care about that anymore.
Family over a football win any day mate.

Id like to see players and clubs really go after the scumbags in the media. There are a lot of them.

There's good ones too, clearly.

But the say anything to get a headline muppets need to be held accountable.

I reckon the blokes playing who managed to get a 6 goal lead should have been able to get the win whether or not Seb was there.

Any team mates (or supporters) thinking that should get there arse’s kicked. Total clowns.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Our coach is sh*t

That's our problem

All the rest is just fluff until we fix that
Look at all the AFL dynasty teams and they all have/had strong on field leadership. Where's ours? Blame the coach if you must but IMO it wont change things. We need more leaders. The leaders don't have to be part of the leadership group. They just need to crave ultimate success and want to set a benchmark for all others to follow.

Below is an excerpt from Sam Walker's book "The Captain's Class"

The most crucial ingredient in a team that achieves and sustains historic greatness is the character of the player who leads it,” Walker wrote.

Walker doesn’t discount the importance of the coach who oversees the team and sets its strategies. But he argues that history shows attaching a winning coach to a team with no internal leadership does not make much difference, and that team dynasties are more closely correlated to the quality of captains rather than coaches.

The greatest coaches may “have shown the ability to reframe the game with tactical innovations, to build cultures that are more powerful than any individual, or to move people to do spectacular things through their words, if not the force of their will,” Walker wrote. “In sports, however, these coaches only achieved their greatest success when they had a player serving as their proxy on the field.”

Our coach is sh*t

That's our problem

All the rest is just fluff until we fix that

Rubbish, we can't just sack the coach every ******* time we have a poor season or poor form 🤪 We would have a new coach every 6 months if we listened to fools on the internet who blame everything on the coach.

That absolutely reeks of a poorly run club, time to hold our nerve and back Ratten to turn this around.

Maybe blame our recruiting team from 5-6 years ago - They are why we have no genuine stars apart from Maybe Steel and Marshall.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back