Politics Black Lives Matter

Remove this Banner Ad

Or you can make up "appropriate" actions and compare a person's words to those actions.

Things like making out that if you don't house refugees under your roof, any support for refugees is virtue signalling.

I think it's great if you personally choose to support refugees, but I doubt you do.. Actually I know you don't. BTW posting on a forum doesn't count as support for refugees.

If you're not willing to open your own house, why would you expect anyone else to?

Also, thinking it's 'appropriate' for people other than you to fund a place for more refugees to stay is also wrong.

I think it's great if you personally choose to support refugees, but I doubt you do.. Actually I know you don't. BTW posting on a forum doesn't count as support for refugees.

If you're not willing to open your own house, why would you expect anyone else to?

Also, thinking it's 'appropriate' for people other than you to fund a place for more refugees to stay is also wrong.
Your house is burning down. I don't want to pay for a fire brigade to turn up and put your house out.

Becoming a refugee could happen to anyone; it is literally an accident of birth. Do you owe a societal responsibility towards other people or not, and where do you draw the line?

Again, why is this a only two choices that exist on a spectrum of one to the other? Why is it either 'Yeah, I'm cool with refugees being in my home' or 'bugger you, I got mine'?

Your house is burning down. I don't want to pay for a fire brigade to turn up and put your house out.

You don't have to.

Do you owe a societal responsibility towards other people or not, and where do you draw the line?

To a degree, yes.

Again, why is this a only two choices that exist on a spectrum of one to the other? Why is it either 'Yeah, I'm cool with refugees being in my home' or 'bugger you, I got mine'?

Claiming virtue by saying 'I'm caring because I think Australia should take more refugees' but taking no personal responsibility is my point. ie not taking them in or not funding them with your own money. Expecting others to deal with the detail.

But hey, personal responsibility is foreign to a lot of people these days.

Claiming virtue by saying 'I'm caring because I think Australia should take more refugees' but taking no personal responsibility is my point. ie not taking them in or not funding them with your own money. Expecting others to deal with the detail.

But hey, personal responsibility is foreign to a lot of people these days.
This is an extremely silly take.

Virtuous hypocrites.. It's fun calling them out.
Except you're not calling them out. You're ignoring the parts of the reality in which you live - like taxes and charity - in which people contribute towards improving society.

They'd look at you as though you're mad, because you're behaving like a mad person.

Except you're not calling them out. You're ignoring the parts of the reality in which you live - like taxes and charity - in which people contribute towards improving society.

They'd look at you as though you're mad, because you're behaving like a mad person.

What do you contribute?

I was going to answer your question, but then I remembered you've yet to respond to the post you quoted. This isn't about me; we're talking your attitudes to this stuff.

You're the one with the problem with reality, not me.

You'd never honestly answer my question, don't pretend otherwise.

I'm not pretending I personally support refugees because I don't. Ironically, I'd pay a lot more tax than you so indirectly I support them. Most charities (especially Government run ones) are a joke as bureaucrats siphon most of it out with bugger all getting to those who need it so I typically don't bother. I'd rather 'directly' help my local community.

Again, what do you do?

You've again just proved you're hiding behind the collective when you claim you support refugees..

This IS about you.

You'd never honestly answer my question, don't pretend otherwise.
I'm curious. Do you call people liars offline as often as you do online?
I'm not pretending I personally support refugees because I don't. Ironically, I'd pay a lot more tax than you so indirectly I support them. Most charities (especially Government run ones) are a joke as bureaucrats siphon most of it out with bugger all getting to those who need it so I typically don't bother. I'd rather 'directly' help my local community.
Except you do, via your taxes.

Your deliberate ignorance of the world you live in strikes again.
Again, what do you do?
I pay taxes, I vote to try and get more humane refugee policy, and I give to charity when I can afford it.
You've again just proved you're hiding behind the collective when you claim you support refugees..

This IS about you.
You want rather desperately for it to be about me, when you're the one bitching that reality doesn't conform to your Randian imaginings.

Consider the following: if you pay tax, you contribute personally to the community around you. Your taxes go towards student payments, the dole, the pension, family support, refugee resettlement, police, teacher and politicians wages. You are pretending that doesn't happen, despite it being so obvious as to be redundant; that I need to state it makes me intrigued as to what actually goes through your mind when you post.

Continue gnashing your teeth in my direction, mate. You're not getting very far.

I can't remember where I read it but I recall Australian charities only needing to actually pass through less than 10% of donations to their stated objective with the rest able to be spent on administration, staff, marketing (huge one).
'I can't remember where I read it' isn't really the bar for assuming something as evidence or true, is it?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

'I can't remember where I read it' isn't really the bar for assuming something as evidence or true, is it?
It's me explaining that the figure shouldn't be taken as absolute fact, I didn't just state it as such. I think that's perfectly reasonable conduct in a discussion.

Can you believe the crazy left in America has put up a statue of George Floyd?!

Horrible that he was murdered but doesn't change the fact he was a criminal who did nothing in life of value to society..and held up a pregnant woman with a knife to her stomach.

This is wokeism.

Horrible that he was murdered but doesn't change the fact he was a criminal who did nothing in life of value to society..and held up a pregnant woman with a knife to her stomach.

This is wokeism.

Sounds like something the Country Women's Association would lobby Pauline Hanson about.

This is wokeism.
Do you believe in freedom of speech?

Do you believe in freedom of speech?
Of course but that doesn't mean that treating a piece of scum like George Floyd a some sort of hero makes sense.

He was a victim of a shocking crime but otherwise seemingly a terrible person. But celebrating and promoting victimhood is the ambition of the church of wokeism.

Maybe they could have done a statue of him with a knife to a pregnant woman's stomach?

Of course but that doesn't mean that treating a piece of scum like George Floyd a some sort of hero makes sense.

He was a victim of a shocking crime but otherwise seemingly a terrible person. But celebrating and promoting victimhood is the ambition of the church of wokeism.

Maybe they could have done a statue of him with a knife to a pregnant woman's stomach?

Assume you feel the same way about all the racist slave owner statues?

History suggests Captain Cook was a horrible person. Should we knock him down as well?

History suggests Captain Cook was a horrible person. Should we knock him down as well?
Revised history by the woke. Cook had more gumption in his little finger than the entire community of Bigfooty. In the kind of life he led, a few bad things were bound to happen.

I'm judging Floyd on what he did recently. You're judging people who lived 250 years ago by the moral code of today. Should we rename the month of July because Julius Caesar was a horrible person in the eyes of tens if not hundreds of thousands he conquered and killed?

Where does your ridiculous posturing end?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back