Past 5. Sam Petrevski-Seton

Remove this Banner Ad

It's actually smart, because:

1. He's actually struck, and to the point where he's flinched after taking the mark because he's looked to brace for contact
2. It wound up being so light that the umpire could have otherwise dismissed it as not having made contact

And he didn't roll around due to it, he rolled once to slow his momentum as he went to ground. I don't want players out there not looking to protect their own head when contact comes.
He effectively ruled himself out of the play in the event that the call was missed.
I have no issue with players protecting their head, however, I'm a firm believer of playing to the whistle and not for it.

He effectively ruled himself out of the play in the event that the call was missed.
I have no issue with players protecting their head, however, I'm a firm believer of playing to the whistle and not for it.
Literally the only thing he could have done differently is not reach for his head, so no.

So quick to sum things up which is what made it look easy, the kick itself is the easier part.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

I love the way this guy plays. He looks nothing like Bruce Doull, but he has a few tricks a little similar and starting to feel same confidence when he goes near it in back half. He still only young and at times gets a few kicks wrong but * it, I love he tries to take it on and more often than not what he tries works and only going to get more effective and damaging to opposition as he plays 100 games and more.

Huge amount of ability and is shining off HB.

However a few things to improve on.

1. Needs to stop hesitating and kick through the ball. Will break a line, dart his eyes around and eventually pick an option however stab at it and goes straight to an opposition player. This is 100% mental and he is just second guessing himself, just needs to pick his target once, kick through it and head over it.

2. Needs to put on some size. If he is going to play down back then there's often going to be a bulky little small forward he has to play on, really needs to get jacked so he can compete.

3. As above with conditioning in general - needs to get fitter and faster, add a bit of explosiveness to his game to really scare the oppo.

Really keen to see him in 2020 after a full pre-season.

2. Needs to put on some size. If he is going to play down back then there's often going to be a bulky little small forward he has to play on, really needs to get jacked so he can compete.
I cannot stress enough how bad this idea is.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why so? Pretty slight @ 182cm & 78kg...
That's a pretty standard weight for a mid his size. Slight would be 74 kg and under.

Heavy (i.e. those with a natural propensity to add bulk) would be over 85 kg. His endurance is a natural asset of his, and lends to a lighter playing weight because of how his body burns fat (amongst other metabolic factors).

The goal of high performance staff should be to bring out a players strengths while papering over their 'weaknesses' (mostly their injury risks). SPS will naturally move into the low 80s (if he hasn't already), and he will be just fine in <95% of 1v1 contests.

That's a pretty standard weight for a mid his size. Slight would be 74 kg and under.

Heavy (i.e. those with a natural propensity to add bulk) would be over 85 kg. His endurance is a natural asset of his, and lends to a lighter playing weight because of how his body burns fat (amongst other metabolic factors).

The goal of high performance staff should be to bring out a players strengths while papering over their 'weaknesses'. SPS will naturally move into the low 80s (if he hasn't already), and he will be just fine in <95% of 1v1 contests.
Yes I meant get to the 81-83kg range, not mid to high 80's.

Yes I meant get to the 81-83kg range, not mid to high 80's.
Yeah that's a fractional thing that will build up over the next two years. The important thing is not to create an imbalance that doesn't suit his natural build.

1. Needs to stop hesitating and kick through the ball. Will break a line, dart his eyes around and eventually pick an option however stab at it and goes straight to an opposition player. This is 100% mental and he is just second guessing himself, just needs to pick his target once, kick through it and head over it.

Agree with this. I feel that he's too often stationary or lacking forward momentum to really break lines and do his best work by foot. I reckon it's part almost bad habit, and part Carlton's developing game style. Would be good to see him be the run-through option and kicking it long more often. He does seem to have nice skills so there's plenty to work with.

Agree with this. I feel that he's too often stationary or lacking forward momentum to really break lines and do his best work by foot. I reckon it's part almost bad habit, and part Carlton's developing game style. Would be good to see him be the run-through option and kicking it long more often. He does seem to have nice skills so there's plenty to work with.
That's Carlton development. Was terrified of making a mistake under Bolton and would always take the 'safe' option, it's still lurking in his game but he'll work it out soon enough.

Huge amount of ability and is shining off HB.

However a few things to improve on.

3. As above with conditioning in general - needs to get fitter and faster, add a bit of explosiveness to his game to really scare the oppo.

Really keen to see him in 2020 after a full pre-season.
Size not a big issue, Doc, Simmo, Daisy ? vision, speed and execution are critical for good HB

I wasn't going to post this but what the hell...

So my local cafe tends to have a lot of AFL folk get through it, probably due to being right near TLA management HQ. I can only guess Samo is repped by them, because he was there on Thursday where I accidentally on purpose sat at a table nearby to get into my usual big breaky. I can essentially confirm he will be signing on for the Navy Blues, which is great news.

I'm not going to provide specific details for obvious reasons, but Samo is looking to invest in some rental property in Melbourne (doesn't mean much in terms of staying) but his advisors mentioned more than once in these conversations, "now that Carlton has taken care of you" or to that effect. Was also spoken about getting him a gun license so he can "go shooting like back home". Looks like he is staying ladies and gentlemen.

Ps. I don't give a s**t if you believe me or not :thumbsu:

How good does he look timing his overlap running and delivering inside 50?

I also think that's when he is at his damaging best, but he only had 3 score involvements according to AFL app, among his 14 touches.

Maybe it's a by-product of his defensive apprenticeship. We would benefit greatly if he became our Cyril - 14 touches for 11 score involvements and 3 scores of his own would be a tasty proposition every week.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back