Autopsy Round 16, 2021: Collingwood v St.Kilda

Remove this Banner Ad

He was going ok with about 7 minutes to go. He then sat off for a few minutes and didn't see much of it after that. Still seemed to be moving ok, but got ignored a few times. He had a clearance and backed into a pack to take a mark and a few important possessions across half back earlier in the qtr.

I thought he didn’t look the same after copping the whack to his head (also surprised he didn’t cop a week for bruising the fist which hit him)

He did something a little while after it which made me question if he was seeing double and picked the wrong one.

Just did the ladder predictor and by my calculations we will eliminate Melbourne then bundle the dogs out in a prelim and smash Brisbane at the G in the GF.

This week is the win that sets up the psychological advantage in the last week in September.

No point in arguing whether the the last two weeks is more about us or our oppositions form. This week we will find out exactly where we stand against in form teams.

The final quarter fade outs are a worry and if we’re going to beat Brisbane we’re going to have to slog it out to the very end. On that basis I think we need cover for Highmore down back who I think has been fading badly.

Jones in for Connolly
Battle in for Billings
One of those 2 outs to medisub
McKenzie to Zac Bailey
Dunstan head to head with Lyons
Webster to Zorko

Saints by one, September here we come.

I thought he didn’t look the same after copping the whack to his head (also surprised he didn’t cop a week for bruising the fist which hit him)

He did something a little while after it which made me question if he was seeing double and picked the wrong one.
Don't t
Just did the ladder predictor and by my calculations we will eliminate Melbourne then bundle the dogs out in a prelim and smash Brisbane at the G in the GF.

This week is the win that sets up the psychological advantage in the last week in September.

No point in arguing whether the the last two weeks is more about us or our oppositions form. This week we will find out exactly where we stand against in form teams.

The final quarter fade outs are a worry and if we’re going to beat Brisbane we’re going to have to slog it out to the very end. On that basis I think we need cover for Highmore down back who I think has been fading badly.

Jones in for Connolly
Battle in for Billings
One of those 2 outs to medisub
McKenzie to Zac Bailey
Dunstan head to head with Lyons
Webster to Zorko

Saints by one, September here we come.
I like it!. Except you have one match up around the wrong way. Should be Zac Bailey sitting on DMac:)

Nor are Adelaide. You described them as “last year’s wooden spooner”, even though that has no relevance whatsoever to what they’re doing this year, yet you talk about those other teams only with regards to how they’re going this year, or lately.

So you’re being totally inconsistent, to falsely or deceptively try and strengthen your argument. As you do an awful lot.

BTW two games prior to beating us Collingwood beat top-of-the-ladder Melbourne, and this week they got De Goey back (who played against Melbourne, but not Freo), while 3 weeks prior to beating us, Adelaide we’re also good enough to beat an undefeated Melbourne, and they were far closer to full strength than us, when they beat us. Especially after an in-form Clark went off and was replaced by a kid who hadn’t played a game in 3 weeks.

We were doing remarkably well in the first half of that game, all things considered. We were miles off full strength.

Fair enough, hard to argue that. Do you think we look the form side of the competition? Do you think we are looking top 8 bound? It's probably not as bad as I made out but it's not exactly like we are destined for the finals all of a sudden. We have improved but we still look very average. Melbourne look like they are going to stuff it all up too by the way. They are starting to wobble.

Our injury list is very overrated, Jones and Hunter Clark are the only absolute top shelf additions and I'd say that Dunstan and DMac have made that a lot less drastic than their loss could have been. Webster has covered Paton pretty well. Gresham hasn't played much in 2 years so it's hard to mark him off the best list of the last 2 years.

We are playing good footy but there is no ability to sustain the performance. You can't play three quarters of footy and stop. By the way I think strengthening you argument is what debating is about. Your sniping what ever I post is designed to ridicule my position, your consent use of stats to overstate average performance is the same.

Fair enough, hard to argue that. Do you think we look the form side of the competition? Do you think we are looking top 8 bound? It's probably not as bad as I made out but it's not exactly like we are destined for the finals all of a sudden. We have improved but we still look very average. Melbourne look like they are going to stuff it all up too by the way. They are starting to wobble.

Our injury list is very overrated, Jones and Hunter Clark are the only absolute top shelf additions and I'd say that Dunstan and DMac have made that a lot less drastic than their loss could have been. Webster has covered Paton pretty well. Gresham hasn't played much in 2 years so it's hard to mark him off the best list of the last 2 years.

We are playing good footy but there is no ability to sustain the performance. You can't play three quarters of footy and stop. By the way I think strengthening you argument is what debating is about. Your sniping what ever I post is designed to ridicule my position, your consent use of stats to overstate average performance is the same.
The Stop light was in the coaches box.

The back and forth about whether the teams we have beaten are “good” or not these past two weeks is largely irrelevant.

In a professional sporting competition like the AFL, if you can keep ANY teams to a measly 3 goals in almost 7 quarters, it is a huge positive (and keep in mind our defense has been our Achilles heel all year).

The last quarter against the Pies was a nice little reminder to the group about what happens when you take your foot off the accelerator.

Are we back? Way too early to tell and it’s why the Lions game comes at a great time. But if you can’t see that these matches since the bye have been a step forward and a small thing to celebrate, then you’ll never be happy.

You can be happy about our improvement with out getting ahead of yourself. That defensive improvement has to come down to the three headed clearance midfield. The ball is being won and pumped forward and we move up and hold it in better. They are playing with a lot more enthusiasm and energy and working both ways. Dunstan has been a revelation and forced us to play a different brand and it suits the side we have much better. Much more tough and combative and less trying to make ourselves look silky.

We contest well, we are agricultural, we are hard, we are beating sides by beating them to the footy and winning one on ones. Long may it continue. It's much better to watch regardless. Those 4th quarter fades are still a huge worry and their fitness or psychology is a worry- to let that nearly happen again after the Adelaide match was hard to process.

Still think he’s getting a game off the whiff of an oily rag... 3 goals in 5 weeks. 8 disposals and 3 tackles is nothing to write home about when we had so much footy inside 50.
Long isn’t racking up a whole heap of pressure acts but you feel like his count more, would not like him or DMac barreling in when I’m attacking the footy.

Your mate Lonie would have been at Sandy after 2 weeks of Butler like performance.

Byrnes didn’t get the rising star this week. He must be close tho, the winner Justin McInerney has very similar season average stats, idk what position he plays tho. His extra disposal on the weekend must’ve got him the nomination 😉

He's been good though McInerny, RS noms seem to come after a period of good form. I think he'll get one, probably just needs one stand out where he kicks a couple of goals or gets higher than average possessions. Even if he doesn't get one I'm pretty confident he'll embarrass the selectors long term.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The Stop light was in the coaches box.

They have to take some responsibility but the players stopped. The side should be able to go into a holding pattern with out testing our hearts out. It looks like if we back off in the midfield the whole side starts to fall apart. Our backline can't sustain constant attack without the midfield winning the bulk of contests.

LOL, okay. I can at least understand respect and commitment.

My kids have the same principles drilled into them that my father taught me:

"If you made a commitment, you bloody well stick to it".

Shouldn't be that hard when there is also an 800k carrot attached.

I don't know what has happened to a lot of you Boomers, so many of you have gone soft AF:tearsofjoy:
lol nice name

Coaches votes totals after round 16:

60: Steele (9 games with votes)
24: Dunstan (3)
22: Crouch (5)
13: Billings (2), Hill (2)
12: Membrey (2)
11: Ryder (2)
10: Jones (1)
7: Sinclair (2)
6: Gresham (1), Higgins (1), Ross (3), Wilkie (2)
5: King (2)
4: Howard (1)
3: Clark (2)
2: Marshall (1)
1: Highmore (1)

Ludicrous that Dunstan's now second on our list after only playing 6 games, getting votes in half of them.

Steele clearly winning the B&F by a mile, he's 7th in the AFL in this comp.

Not bad for a bloke most had as fringe 22 before the year. We really needed a couple guys like Jack to elevate into consistent high quality footy.
Will be interesting to see what happens next year, it feels to me like we have one or two bolters every year but very few manage to sustain the improvement (see Butler, Clark, Coff this year)

Your mate Lonie would have been at Sandy after 2 weeks of Butler like performance.
He's like a sacrificial virgin goat when we have a bad loss… dropped after Port, Dogs and then Adelaide.

sacrificial-goat.jpg

That's ^ lethers holding him for Ratts to finish off.

Sincas would be top 3 in the B&F now IMO

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Be in my top two. I honestly think it's daylight between Steele/Sinclair and anyone else at this point. In some ways Sincs has been even more consistent.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back