News Giants in the Media

Remove this Banner Ad

Was very interested to hear that from TFG .... thinking Zac is one for sure

I think TFG was being very, very diplomatic.

Who has left the club’s playing group and wouldn’t share TFG’s opinion?

Maybe Tom Boyd? Although it’s not as though the Dogs looked after his welfare.

Treloar may have thought so, until he was dumped empty-handed.

Possibly WHE or TA until Eddie and Bucks turned the place into a smoking ruin.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

The Williams recruitment has the potential to cost someone their job and also a chain on the clubs salary cap

What are the terms 5 years at between 700-800k?

Some are saying close to 900k

I can see him being moved on and Carlton paying some of his salary to get him off the books

Several factors in this including the review they are having, coaching appointment and from for the rest of this year and he wioll still be around at Carlton next year so he has plenty of games to show what he can do and what he cant do

I think there's a fair few that went home and got a substantial pay packet while going to a knowingly bad team that would be fine with their decision. Guys like Lobb or Wilson, anyone who got paid overs to go to Carlton, etc. The ones like Treloar talking up clubs they moved to... less so.

From Narrandera to the 'G
Matt Flynn's journey rom the Riverina town of Narrandera to Melbourne's sporting cathedral.

GIANTS ruckman Matt Flynn vividly remembers walking onto the AFL's most hallowed turf as an awe struck child taking a tour of the MCG. On Sunday, Flynn will take the field for the first time in an AFL game at the iconic venue and square off against Hawthorn captain Ben McEvoy. All going to plan, the match will pale in comparison to future milestones. But it will nonetheless be a special moment, with the 23-year-old realising a childhood dream that grew while making regular pilgrimages from the Riverina town of Narrandera to Melbourne's sporting cathedral.

"My old man and his best mate used to to take my best mate and I down to Melbourne for Dreamtime at the G' or the Anzac game, every year," Flynn said. "On the tour, just getting to walk alongside the boundary felt pretty amazing. It's surreal to think I'll run out there. It's been a long time coming but I think that extended apprenticeship has held me in good stead. This season has been really exciting and a steep learning curve."

more in the linked article

Stevie J's return has helped the GIANTS put together one of the most efficient forward lines in the AFL. The return of a freakish forward has helped the GIANTS put together one of the most efficient forward lines in the competition and overcome the loss of its all-time leading goalkicker. Steve Johnson played 40 games for the GIANTS in 2016-17, spent a few years at Sydney and returned to the GIANTS after Jeremy Cameron departed the club in last year’s NAB AFL Trade Period. But rather than taking over Cameron’s role out of the goal square, Johnson arrived to coach a forward group entering a season without the 2019 Coleman medallist for the first time in the club’s existence.

Under the guidance of a line coach who is as creative now as he was as a player, the group centred around Toby Greene, Harry Himmelberg and Jeremy Finlayson has become one of the most efficient in the League. Although the GIANTS only move the ball into their forward 50 an average of 50.3 times a game (13th in the League) they are scoring with an impressive 51.5 per cent of those entries. Only Western Bulldogs (52.3 per cent) have a better scoring strike rate once inside 50.

Some ongoing concerns for Johnson and the forward group are the low number of marks they take inside 50 (9.6 a game, ranked 17th) and their pressure once the ball hits the deck with an average of only eight tackles inside 50 (ranked 16th). "As a forward line we have to be good at that instinctive play. Stevie knows we've got a bit of flair but harps on about really good forward lines starting with great defence,” Himmelberg said.

more in the linked article

In each case we made an offer but within a range that we could keep our other players, which left us up to 50% lower than other offers. They could've stayed, it was their decision. However I also completely understand maximising earnings.

Jacob Hopper well worth a listen on today’s Footy Phil.

He appears to get conscripted into the podcast in the weeks following team train wrecks (R3, and now R15).

Allison Z asks JH “How do we fix consistency?”.

As JH typically shoots from the hip without much filter (a very valuable quality in a high performance team) his answer at the 11:00 mark is an interesting one.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jacob Hopper well worth a listen on today’s Footy Phil.

He appears to get conscripted into the podcast in the weeks following team train wrecks (R3, and now R15).

Allison Z asks JH “How do we fix consistency?”.

As JH typically shoots from the hip without much filter (a very valuable quality in a high performance team) his answer at the 11:00 mark is an interesting one.

Unsure if he was talking the plan, the reactive behaviour or whether he meant it to be targeted to the players or the coaches

FWIW I am a huge JH fan, rarely fails the effort test

Unsure if he was talking the plan, the reactive behaviour or whether he meant it to be targeted to the players or the coaches

His comment “structurally we were confused” doesn’t sound like a ringing endorsement of the game plan and/or it’s training, and he appeared to suggest there was an inability to “adapt and change” in-game to a Plan B or C in response to oppo tactics.

His comments appeared to unsettle the hosts, with AZ’s final words being “you’re not wrong”.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

FWIW I am a huge JH fan, rarely fails the effort test

Agreed. Definitely a potential future Captain.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Maybe Tom Boyd? Although it’s not as though the Dogs looked after his welfare.

Treloar may have thought so, until he was dumped empty-handed.

Possibly WHE or TA until Eddie and Bucks turned the place into a smoking ruin.

A number of the guys went for life changing differences in income. Corr, Tomlinson the most obvious, they really didnt have a choice. Pre-injury it was working great for Tomlinson, finally had a defined spot, was making good cash in the team on top.

Guys like Cameron, Shiel and Treloar commanded a huge wage wherever they went would be weighing it all up for different reasons.

I often wonder how Marchbank and Setterfeld feel. they were highly touted and haven't really fired a shot. Wonder if they regret their decisions.

I remember someone saying that of all the players that left Marchbank was the one that hurt most. Surprised me to hear that.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back