Vic How would you rate Daniel Andrews' performance as Victorian Premier? - Part 4

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
What did the Coate inquiry say about the curfew?
I suspect Andrews decided it was needed, and he was right. It did stop the movement, of mainly younger people from being out and about at night and gathering in each others’ homes. It made it easier for the police to keep track of people.
It wasn’t a great hardship given we were only allowed out for certain things anyway. Can’t really see why you’d object to it. I’d say it was part of a raft of measures that did in fact, make a difference.
Haven’t seen what vicpol said today, but our situation was far more dire than the one in NSW, so horses for course sounds a reasonable approach.
Again, did you follow the Coate enquiry.... obvious answer no.
The experts said the curfew had no effect. Dan did, go figure.

Andrews, who was once close to Morrison (the prime minister once told me their partnership was the “key fusion” in the federation) feels (entirely correctly) that the prime minister shafted him with all the politicking from Canberra during Victoria’s long (but ultimately successful) lockdown during the second wave.

Andrews and Berejiklian worked closely during the opening months of the pandemic to push Morrison into accepting public health restrictions when the prime minister resisted that approach.

But the feeling around the national cabinet table these days is Berejiklian succumbed to hubris during the period where NSW was held up regularly by Morrison as the gold standard in pandemic management.

Again, did you follow the Coate enquiry.... obvious answer no.
The experts said the curfew had no effect. Dan did, go figure.
I haven’t read the 500 pages in minute detail like you are suggesting you did, but I read bits of it. I read all the key findings, don’t recall the curfew comment though. Not as obsessed as you-but lots of mistakes were made and the Coate inquiry made findings and recommendations and lots of things a were addressed and now we have a good system in place- so that’s great.
Yep- did the inquiry outline how they were able to measure its ‘no effect’. Anecodotally, it was noticeable around our streets. It was very quiet overnight and cars would definitely come roaring home before 8.
Dan approached it like it was an emergency, and it was. Again- how was it an imposition on you, most of the public?

Wasnt, not the point.

Point is, their was "zero" medical or law enforcement studies or reasons to justify the curfew apart from power control from the person who ordered it and naturaly revenue

Prove me wrong.
Right- so it wasn’t an imposition on most people- so why make such a fuss? Didn’t you notice the absence of movement in your area-it was quite noticeable. That stillness must have been helpful in getting the spread under control. How was this ‘no effect’ measured by the inquiry? I suspect it’s not provable either way. It wasn’t a recommendation by health or law, but it’s the sort of thing that can help in an emergency or critical situation, which we were in.
Not sure why you bother arguing this one, other than to hate on dictator Dan, and who cares. You don’t like him. Fine. You are a little 2 legs bad, 4 legs good though.

The Coates inquiry that was set up for the specific purpose of reviewing the Hotel Quarantine Program.

The Coates inquiry whose terms of reference did not include either reviewing curfews or lock downs or any public health measure outside of the Hotel Quarantine Program.

The Coates inquiry whose 500 page final report does not include the word curfew.

What does the Coates report have to do with curfews?

The Coates inquiry that was set up for the specific purpose of reviewing the Hotel Quarantine Program.

The Coates inquiry whose terms of reference did not include either reviewing curfews or lock downs or any public health measure outside of the Hotel Quarantine Program.

The Coates inquiry whose 500 page final report does not include the word curfew.

You mean bazaar is full of shit (again)? Colour me shocked.

Wrong, the Coate inquiry’s sole job was to give Dan an excuse to not answer questions he didn’t like during his 100 consecutive press conferences, nothing else.

Most ridiculous part is it was completely inefficient as the police Union said. I traveled freely between Melbourne and Regional and never had to go through a checkpoint once and never took the back roads.

Only time I ever saw one was driving across regional Victoria and had to duck inside the border to go back out.

I don’t know if it’s changed now with Dans latest crackdown, but at least the NSW border controls this year are 20kms inside Victoria so not holding up people on their daily commute in some border communities.

No, it shows the ring of steel is useless in keeping the virus out as there are still permitted workers carrying the virus.

All it did was massively delay essential workers every single day.

So it delayed people, but you drove around the state freely with no dramas.

Another flip flop

When you work at home all day, have kids doing home schooling, finish up the day and then need to do grocery shopping or get dinner ready for the family, a curfew severely limits your opportunities to do exercise/walk the dog etc. This was my major issue with it last year. If they'd said 12am-5am I'd have found it far more workable.

With the new delta variant I'd argue that having even more compressed supermarket hours would increase the risk of spread as more people do their shopping at more peak times. It also cuts the hours people, often younger, can work at supermarkets, takeaway etc, which can have a severe impact on their finances.

Add in people working day/night shifts and things got even more difficult for many.

Yeah I was always amazed that people thought the answer to combatting the virus was to increase the amount of people in a supermarket at one time.

With this delta variant a curfew would probably see the cases spiral out of control even quicker.

So it delayed people, but you drove around the state freely with no dramas.

Another flip flop

Delayed plenty of people who had to use the major freeways to travel. I doubt there was a better way for people to travel to Geelong especially when there were daily reports from the Princes car park.

Just because the more intelligent people that don’t live or work in the dirty west weren’t inconvenienced doesn’t mean those who do weren’t.

It’s always funny to see people from thousands of kms away telling people how it didn’t affect them…

But it’s very simple, if you had to go to work and there is one way there you were severely impacted and they were permitted workers.

If you just wanted to escape there were plenty of ways around it so what is the point? It hurts those who are permitted and doesn’t stop those doing the wrong thing. Yep, real smart use of thousands of police resources when a simple ANPR setup is 1000 times more effective.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hope you're taking advantage of all the days off work you're enjoying while the state is in lockdown.

What have you done? I've cleaned the backyard and gardening.
It’s been ok. Seriously long dog walks, gardening, reading. Watching footy, looking forward to olympics. Looking forward to getting out of it of course.

The premier’s remarks followed comments from the police commissioner, Shane Patton, to radio 3AW that he did not even know if police had been briefed on the curfew before it was introduced. “I was never consulted,’’ Patton said. “I’ve made enquiries to determine if anyone in the organisation was briefed on the matter.”

Delayed plenty of people who had to use the major freeways to travel. I doubt there was a better way for people to travel to Geelong especially when there were daily reports from the Princes car park.

Just because the more intelligent people that don’t live or work in the dirty west weren’t inconvenienced doesn’t mean those who do weren’t.

It’s always funny to see people from thousands of kms away telling people how it didn’t affect them…

But it’s very simple, if you had to go to work and there is one way there you were severely impacted and they were permitted workers.

If you just wanted to escape there were plenty of ways around it so what is the point? It hurts those who are permitted and doesn’t stop those doing the wrong thing. Yep, real smart use of thousands of police resources when a simple ANPR setup is 1000 times more effective.
lol Eddie doing dukes of hazzard thru the dirty west. Avoiding a virus which doesn’t exist to get to his NSW safehaven. U moved yeah?

Geelong is more like the Blue Mountains than a real regional area like Orange/Woolongong.

Well I always believed it should have been a part of Melbourne for restrictions sake and would have allowed rest of regional Victoria to be released far sooner and probably far less imposition on people's daily lives with the ring of steel outside Geelong instead of on the way in.

Wasnt, not the point.

Point is, their was "zero" medical or law enforcement studies or reasons to justify the curfew apart from power control from the person who ordered it and naturaly revenue

Prove me wrong.
No problem
Screenshot_20210723-234955_Chrome.jpg

I can also provide anecdotal evidence that drug dealers hated it.

Where to from here for Vic? Can we absolutely guarantee nobody can cross the border from NSW? They are a huge risk right now.

Where to from here for Vic? Can we absolutely guarantee nobody can cross the border from NSW? They are a huge risk right now.

If they let it rip it has to be a wa style hard border

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back