Jacinta Allan - 49th Victorian Premier.

Remove this Banner Ad

After delving deep into the fine print of the "Helping Families" Budget, The Age is reporting today that the Allen government has created a 2026 election war chest estimated to be worth at least $75 billion.

Something like $30b of the $75b is for unspecified / as yet unknown spending initiatives, you know the ones that will be trotted out ion the lead-up to the next election to buy votes. This is nothing short of criminal and utterly immoral, IMO. I can't wait to see who jumps to the defence of Jacinta Andrews.

Services have or are being cut left right and centre. The Airport rail link has been all but cancelled (despite Ch 7 revealing last night the Airport asked to meet with the government in April to negotiate, and was turned away). Community hospitals in growing places like Torquay have been shelved because there's no money. Our roads are in dangerously deplorable condition across the state. And we will have to endure this for the next 2 1/4 years until the government miraculously finds money?

After delving deep into the fine print of the "Helping Families" Budget, The Age is reporting today that the Allen government has created a 2026 election war chest estimated to be worth at least $75 billion.

Something like $30b of the $75b is for unspecified / as yet unknown spending initiatives, you know the ones that will be trotted out ion the lead-up to the next election to buy votes. This is nothing short of criminal and utterly immoral, IMO. I can't wait to see who jumps to the defence of Jacinta Andrews.

Services have or are being cut left right and centre. The Airport rail link has been all but cancelled (despite Ch 7 revealing last night the Airport asked to meet with the government in April to negotiate, and was turned away). Community hospitals in growing places like Torquay have been shelved because there's no money. Our roads are in dangerously deplorable condition across the state. And we will have to endure this for the next 2 1/4 years until the government miraculously finds money?

I think everyone on bigfooty at this point would agree that they don’t care about the people they serve, they care about themselves (all government).

Last edited:
They rejected it so will be interesting to see what happens from here
the union leader unlike james hird shocked was really shocked

from the age

However, the pay deal – which Victorian branch secretary Lisa Fitzpatrick said could be a pay increase of up to 23 per cent over four years – was knocked back at a statewide meeting of about 3000 public sector nurses and midwives at Festival Hall on Monday.

A clearly rattled Fitzpatrick said she had expected the offer, which included cash payments for all and new allowances, would be accepted by union members.

from the age

However, the pay deal – which Victorian branch secretary Lisa Fitzpatrick said could be a pay increase of up to 23 per cent over four years – was knocked back at a statewide meeting of about 3000 public sector nurses and midwives at Festival Hall on Monday.

A clearly rattled Fitzpatrick said she had expected the offer, which included cash payments for all and new allowances, would be accepted by union members.
I'm currently on leave so haven't been able to talk to any nurses about their EBA but from my limited understanding they are like us and want better conditions over pay. The fact your own secretary was shocked by the vote is concerning.

Yet we still have fire trucks built in the 1980s on the frontline because they don’t have enough money to replace them…

from the age

“Despite our best attempts at explaining it for a very long time, our members haven’t been able to grasp the concept of the aged care wages case. So that’s a misunderstanding, unfortunately,” she said.

Yeesh. That's a bit rough.

I think everyone on bigfooty at this point would agree that they don’t care about the people they serve, they care about themselves.
I'm not sure I follow the logic here. A Government canned for spending too much not spending $75bn and that's a problem?

Or that they're going to spend it on something the public like so much that it will sway the election, but they don't care about the public?

Neither of those positions make a lot of sense.

I'm not sure I follow the logic here. A Government canned for spending too much not spending $75bn and that's a problem?

Or that they're going to spend it on something the public like so much that it will sway the election, but they don't care about the public?

You’re obviously trolling!?

Does it make sense to you that social services, medical research, tourism etc have had their budgets slashed? Or that regional hospitals face amalgamation and closure? Or that there is no money for road repairs so permanent speed limit restrictions have been imposed? All because there is supposedly no money. Yet hidden in the fine print of the budget is the reality that the government could pay for the above but has chosen to squirrel the money away.

You’re obviously trolling!?

Does it make sense to you that social services, medical research, tourism etc have had their budgets slashed? Or that regional hospitals face amalgamation and closure? Or that there is no money for road repairs so permanent speed limit restrictions have been imposed? All because there is supposedly no money. Yet hidden in the fine print of the budget is the reality that the government could pay for the above but has chosen to squirrel the money away.
Depends if they actually have the money to spend and what they spend it on.

I judge Govts on their actions. Definitely not on what they say, or what MSM says about them.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If they are purposely withholding money to use later to sway an election, and are cutting funding for important items now - that to me means they don’t really care about the people they serve. I’m also not going to rant and rave about it, because it doesn’t shock me one little bit (politicians to a tee).

And that’s for any government, not just Victoria. I stand by my initial comment.

I'm currently on leave so haven't been able to talk to any nurses about their EBA but from my limited understanding they are like us and want better conditions over pay. The fact your own secretary was shocked by the vote is concerning.
i remember about a decade ago a team at work that was complaining about work life balance, working conditions, the whole lot

when asked what they wanted done you could split them into two groups

pay me more to put up with it

make it better - eg hire more people to spread the load

depending on who the Secretary had been talking to they might have thought pay more was the popular solution, which would then be the usual issue of not knowing the workers you rep well enough

it doesn't have to, it means you can always say the government is wrong

but if I'm being kind, its possible to think a government is overspending on one area and under spending on another

I don't mind people complaining that governments won't pay their workers well enough, that's the kind of position that is good for all workers

I mean, there's a point where you can't improve the conditions without changing the very nature of the job. There's a point where the money will be good enough.
Do you think that is where healthcare work is though?

That the conditions are as good as they can be

Do you think that is where healthcare work is though?

That the conditions are as good as they can be
Excuse the lack of precision in what I said.

There are some parts of jobs that are both undesirable and essential. The improvements in conditions need to be achievable without affecting the output (what needs to be done). In those areas, financial compensation is usually the way of addressing those concerns.

Conditions, of course, could be much better. The only things stopping there being a single nurse for every patient is cash and not everybody wants to be a nurse. But this is a negotiation, and I'm sure there will eventually be an agreement.

How do you judge this government then?
I think they're spending too much on established area infrastructure (SRL) and should be doing more in the growth suburbs on nuts and bolts (road upgrades, Western Rail Plan).

If there's $75bn contingency, maybe they know it's going to get eaten up by projects as their Departments perrennially over-spend (or under-budget)

In the past they have solved too many problems by throwing more money at it.

Allan seems to have put a stop to that, which is an improvement.

They also shy away from doing what's right for political expediency. And they trust Big 4 advisors too much and made rash decisions.

I think they're spending too much on established area infrastructure (SRL) and should be doing more in the growth suburbs on nuts and bolts (road upgrades, Western Rail Plan).

If there's $75bn contingency, maybe they know it's going to get eaten up by projects as their Departments perrennially over-spend (or under-budget)

In the past they have solved too many problems by throwing more money at it.

Allan seems to have put a stop to that, which is an improvement.

They also shy away from doing what's right for political expediency. And they trust Big 4 advisors too much and made rash decisions.

So you are saying they have ‘solved too many problems’?

I used to work at the Dept of Transport, we had rail network maps for the next 30 + years, detailing all future projects.
This white elephant was never included, wasn't even an idea from the planning division.
Lets be fair, you transport planners follow land use planning. Being a transport planner you would be aware of the UGB - the imminent need for additional land supply opportunities

Dont think of it as a pure transport plan, think of it as a land use plan inclusive of transport - consider how much accessible housing opportunities it will create

No, I'm saying any time they saw a problem, they saw money as an easy fix. Instead of policy, strategy or education/explanation.

Sorry, but your assessment is tending to be a generalisation. For sure some initiatives turn out better than others.

For all the andrews Allan govt faults they have raised the bar better than most predecessors… and got things done.

Kennets mob also did that, but the trumpian tendencies before there was trump were a major flaw

I was very disappointed that the world class Commonwealth athletes would not be coming down under to show their stuff.
I was even more disappointed that Dan the destroyer of Victoria lied about it.
=which regional centre were you planning to spend your hard earned in during the games?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back