Are the Crows mad?

Aug 13, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
From the aged 26 and above players on the Crows list:

Gone: Talia, Lynch, Gibbs (cap holdover)
Going?: Crouch
Maybe: Tex, Mackay
Staying: Sloane, Seedsman, Smith, Brown, Kelly, Laird

From the 25-23
Proven: O'Brien, Keays, Doedee, Milera and I guess McAdam
Unproven: Strachan, Frampton, Davis

With reasonable injury luck they are looking at having about 11 experienced and mature bodies in the team each week unless they do some serious trading in and bargain basement shopping.

The tall defenders have held up, and the key forward options on the list provide options, particularly if Tex can provide something for them to work around (important issues aside).

And the midfield has a base too. But what's the need to free up so many spots? They aren't going to get a whole load of high end draft picks in. And surely there's not the need to free up a huge amount of cap space, that should already be happening.

The way I see it is they pretty much have to go out and get some mature bodies because if you go in with so little in the >24 age range and get injuries you could be left with just a stack of kids getting belted. So maybe the Crows have plans for another Ben Keays and maybe a tall and some flanker depth from somewhere too. But then you're moving out leaders and high quality players for guys who haven't got the job done elsewhere?

Our injury management has been truly diabolical over the last few years, resulting in a rapid decline by the likes of Jacobs, Sloane, Lynch, Jenkins, Walker (up until this year), Brown and Talia. Our guys are usually just about shot by 28. Milera is only 24 and might not play again either.

In the case of Talia, we have Butts and Murray who both look pretty promising.

Trent the flight Steward

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 30, 2006
Cessnock
AFL Club
Geelong
Agree butts and Murray have passed him, and they'd want mcasey to get games too next year, someone will use Talia as insurance maybe the tigers on the cheap as Bolta is out for a while

Our injury management has been truly diabolical over the last few years, resulting in a rapid decline by the likes of Jacobs, Sloane, Lynch, Jenkins, Walker (up until this year), Brown and Talia. Our guys are usually just about shot by 28. Milera is only 24 and might not play again either.

In the case of Talia, we have Butts and Murray who both look pretty promising.

MarcusP2

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 21, 2009
AFL Club
Adelaide
"Second round compensation pick?
How do you figure that?
You've delisted him.
He's a free agent. The list lodgment period (aka delisting) is after the free agency period. If he signs with someone we would still be eligible for a compensation pick.

Perhaps knowing he will be delisted a club will wait to sign him, but given they won't have to give up anything either way, you might expect a late round pick trade if anything.

Edit:
Also, he's 29, but turns 30 in 6 weeks. He has played 4 games in the last 18 months, which were all under duress. He's had 2 knee surgeries and a foot surgery since then, and for KPDs we have 2 in the team holding down the posts, a developing top draft pick, a Cat B rookie, and Frampton who looks like decent depth (only as a KPD, not a KPF!).

If he wasn't out of contract I don't think he would have been pushed out, but given that he was and the circumstances it's not surprising but a sad day.

Last edited:
Jul 25, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Leeds United
Offers will come for him and it might get us a second round compensation pick.

But yeah would have been happy to keep him on, there are other senior players who are less useful to us- Walker and MacKay.

You delisted him so you won't get any compo

Oct 13, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool, Glenelg, tigers
they wouldve been mad to keep him.

Butts, Murray, Mcasy are the one’s that need to be prioritised. Frampton can be used for backup in a break glass situation.

Talia may never play at the top level again and he certainly wouldnt be there for the crows next finals campaign even if he does..

now if only that can finally kill off David…

Great8

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 19, 2015
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Manchester United, Juventus,
Not shocked at the Talia move as it will be what, a couple of games in 2 years?
Lynch surprises me as I think he still has a bit to offer the Crows

Calm down mate

It’s clear we are focusing on youth for the future, I understand that Lynch and Talia have been fantastic for us for the last few years but realistically they’ve struggled to be on the park with their injuries where Talia may never play again or be very limited.

You can’t continue to be playing guys who are in their 30’s in the team and neglect youth.
You need to though. Young players are gonna develop better that way.

You’re in the bottom 2 and you find out your club has basically delisted a club champion and two time AA despite the fact he’s 29. Yeah Daniel Talia has had some injuries but he’s not 33 and he’s clearly best 22. I can understand delisting Tom Lynch but he’s also best 22.

It looked like they’ve been turning things around but, no, obviously they’re still in shambles. If I was a Crows fan I’d be absolutely pissed. They’re supposed to be building and they’ve just given their best defender away to probably one of the 16 clubs better than them currently on the ladder.

Between the whole Tex thing, the camp crap, some of their off field decisions are really astounding. Has this club done anything good in the past 4 years with the exception of drafting Thilthorpe? They even screwed that up because they tried to pick Jamarra first..

Pride of South Australia yep ok 🥱

What you are seeing is how a LTI can change the entire outlook of a football club. Especially when they happen in preseason.

Talia doesn't make it back, and it allows Jordon Butts a clear run at Talias role, who takes it with open arms and had an admirable season (truly a baptism of fire seeing he only played 4 games prior to this season). It also allowed our supp pick for this year, Nick Murray, to cement a CHB spot and look an intriguing player in his own right. An impressive feat noting he had the shortest preseason and lost last year due to COVID.

Unfortunately for Talia, a potential 10-year KPD pairing just fell into our lap whilst he was out injured. Considering our position, and we're likely to be a bottom dweller for a year or two yet, it'd be absolutely mad to not give it as clear of a run as possible.

Not shocked at the Talia move as it will be what, a couple of games in 2 years?
Lynch surprises me as I think he still has a bit to offer the Crows

Yeah Lynch certainly could have been solid for another year. That said, we do have a pair of very intriguing prospects for that third tall/wing role that are beginning to knock the SANFL door down in Cook and Gollant. The pair nearly snapped Glenelgs unbeaten streak a month ago, and both I rate as some of the brightest prospects in our system.

Turnover

Cancelled
May 30, 2015
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Liverpool
Game has gotten to quick for these two. Age has nothing to do with it. Great players in their prime.

May 20, 2014
AFL Club
Geelong
From the aged 26 and above players on the Crows list:

Gone: Talia, Lynch, Gibbs (cap holdover)
Going?: Crouch
Maybe: Tex, Mackay
Staying: Sloane, Seedsman, Smith, Brown, Kelly, Laird

From the 25-23
Proven: O'Brien, Keays, Doedee, Milera and I guess McAdam
Unproven: Strachan, Frampton, Davis

With reasonable injury luck they are looking at having about 11 experienced and mature bodies in the team each week unless they do some serious trading in and bargain basement shopping.

The tall defenders have held up, and the key forward options on the list provide options, particularly if Tex can provide something for them to work around (important issues aside).

And the midfield has a base too. But what's the need to free up so many spots? They aren't going to get a whole load of high end draft picks in. And surely there's not the need to free up a huge amount of cap space, that should already be happening.

The way I see it is they pretty much have to go out and get some mature bodies because if you go in with so little in the >24 age range and get injuries you could be left with just a stack of kids getting belted. So maybe the Crows have plans for another Ben Keays and maybe a tall and some flanker depth from somewhere too. But then you're moving out leaders and high quality players for guys who haven't got the job done elsewhere?

With the soft cap on coaching and the minimum salary cap for the players I'd be keeping a pro like Talia on the playing list and using him as an assistant coach.

How the hell do the crows get anywhere near the minimum salary cap next year? Yeah it takes up a list spot but that is not overly important if you are cutting deep and need to take a heap of picks in the draft as you are only taking really speculative guys at pick 100 anyway.

I'd say someone would have to have already agreed to pick Talia up on a contract the Crows wouldn't match, surely.

WeedsMullet84

Cancelled
Oct 31, 2018
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Celtic, Glenelg
Agreed - in some sort of fairness to the Crows the AFL should’ve taken it out of the clubs hands and handed down a more severe punishment

The Crows didn't hand down the punishment.

The punishment is derived from a mediation process once a racial incident is raised.

The punishment is agreed by mediation with the AFL, the club, the player, the victim of the slur, and the person who reported it.

Duskfire

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 30, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
Geelong
I feel for Talia, being a champion of the club and getting turfed out like that. However, we have no idea the extent of his injuries. Also, do they actually need him? Defensively Adelaide seem pretty good, they just need a better functioning forward line and more cohesion together in general.

I just remember when Geelong got rid of Chappie and Steve Johnson and the flak that Chris Scott got for it, when in hindsight it was probably the right move. If there is a player there who you know won't be around for the next finals push, why keep them? Thats the purely pragamtic view point. Unless Talia is part of the leadership group (he may, I have no idea) then there isn't a huge reason to do so.

WeedsMullet84

Cancelled
Oct 31, 2018
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Celtic, Glenelg
I feel for Talia, being a champion of the club and getting turfed out like that. However, we have no idea the extent of his injuries. Also, do they actually need him? Defensively Adelaide seem pretty good, they just need a better functioning forward line and more cohesion together in general.

I just remember when Geelong got rid of Chappie and Steve Johnson and the flak that Chris Scott got for it, when in hindsight it was probably the right move. If there is a player there who you know won't be around for the next finals push, why keep them? Thats the purely pragamtic view point. Unless Talia is part of the leadership group (he may, I have no idea) then there isn't a huge reason to do so.

We do know the extent of his injuries.

Had persistent issues with his knee last year, then found out he had actually been playing on a torn meniscus when he went for a clean-out at the end of the year.

After the clean-out he developed an issue in his foot In April this year that was the result of a bone spur irritating a tendon. Had surgery on the spur, and has continued to have pain ever since, to the point that he hasn't been able to get back out on the park.

I predicted in April that if his foot issue didn't resolve by the end of the year then it could be career ending, some foot issues just don't get better.

Hasn't played a game in 18 months.

Back