Autopsy Round 23 V Brisbane Good, Bad and the ugly

Remove this Banner Ad

+ Naitanui eh?

+ Yeo is not dead. I was really concerned midseason that Elliot Yeo was in fact completely ded to football. We'll be a much better team if he can get a full preseason in again. Keeping Shuey fit too will be massive.

+ Gaff didn't blaze away, was pretty composed I reckon. Threw himself into a few holes. 5 tackles from him.

+ Rotham was massive, barely lost a contest. Played with a good amount of aggression. Loved his game. Nelson did pretty well too.

+ Cripps has had a good second half of the year, turned things around massively.

- How Allen's season ended tonight summed up his second half of the season: showing something, not quite finishing, getting banged up.

~ nice to get some goodbye games into Hutch and Vardy, may we remember them for what they did for this club instead of how they looked at the end. Thought both contributed at times tonight but clearly passed it.

Umpires ?
You won an umpire assisted premiership. Worst umpiring i have ever seen was to your advantage in your winning grand final

haha I meant to post that as part of my positives and negatives.

I came into that game barracking for the bulldogs massively, but never seen the umpires influence a grand final so much. Sydney couldn’t move without a free being given.

also jj won the norm smith, but if you watch it back he genuinely didn’t hit a team mate all day. People talk about last year having an asterik, but I’d give it to the tigers before I did the dogs. Might as well have given Murphy a medal.

Thank GOD this season is over now.

The worst season i've ever endured as an Eagles supporter. Spoon and rebuilding years included. Expectation vs what we produced, oh boy. Embarrassing.

How good is Naitanui in 2021 though? Seriously

23 Disposals, 21 contested, 10 clearances, 53 hitouts, 2 tackles, 163 ranking points from 73% TOG.

All the while, with a potato supporting him as backup.
Agree on the terrible season. Even expecting results to have meant that we wouldn't make finals even with a win, I'm not sorry this mess of a season is confirmed over on Saturday rather than having to wait for Essendon and GWS to put us out of our misery.

Absolute star game from Nic Naitanui.
Shame the rest of the mids didn't step up to the same level to give him the support he deserved. Shuey and Yeo were ok but at the end of the day 4 of the top 5 Fantasy point scores were to Brisbane mids (NN the obvious other one). And after those two, the rest were hardly sighted, let alone influential.

And the potato was still a spud with 7 hitouts and a season high 6 disposals and more goals than he's kicked all year. His best game of 2021 and it was still spudworthy.
Might get him a new contract as well.

Boy do we need a change of game plan, and a list reset.
If we accept that the premiership window is closed and nailed shut for a few years, let's bite the bullet and make the hard decisions. JK and Hurn (injuries aside) are good enough to go on, but is there any point?

Though I was sitting in front of the the TV, my eyes and mind was less than 50% of time focusing on the screen. Hence my comments could be quite shallow.
+ve
-Most players have tried hard.

-ve
-Tom Cole was too desparate to have a longer holiday.
-The same old Eagles problem: Brisbane could move the ball at ease.
-More than 30 points loss should never be WCE‘s standard

+'s:

- This dumpster fire of a season is over
- NN is an all time great, should be AA.
- Shuey, Yeo and Ryan showed glimpses of their true wonderful selves. Please have strong uninterrupted pre seasons boys.
- Showed some fight for 2 quarters
- Witherden will be a very good player for us.

-'s:

- Probably the most disappointing season in WCE history, when you consider expectations vs results.
- Gave up at the end.
- Umpires were disgraceful, fast ruining the game for me.
- Cole isn't an AFL footballer
- Petro isn't an AFL footballer
- Brander is a total bust, one of our worst drafting errors.
- NN won't be given AA
- Waterman is nothing more than a back up player.
- Club was unfit all season and completely fell apart after the bye

Well. This season was nothing short of a disaster.

Mass changes must be made in the off season or we're in for a world of hurt for 5+ years.

This side really feels like the Australian Cricket team. A coach who has most probably lost the players, relying on top end talent who are either injured or past their prime. Dubious quality coming up through the ranks plus a stale and redundant game plan.

Too many players are being backed in due to their reputation and it appears like no one wants to do the hard stuff when the game gets taken away from us (bar Nic).

Let's hope for some fresh ideas and change this coming off season.

My highlight was Berry marking a ball that travelled about 8m, missing the set shot then being gifted a second shot from the top of the square because Cole breathed on him. Soon after Darling marks on the behind line (after Gardiner makes front on contact with no eyes on the ball), snaps around the corner and goals only for the umpire to make him take the kick again. Really capped off a well umpired, objectively commentated game of football.

Sheed zero tackles again as a supposed “inside mid”. Keep him away from stoppages in2022.

Negative judging by Simmos comments, sounds like he will again prefer older players in 2022. Vardy 10 year contract.

Positive/negative our forward line function again better with one less tall.

Positive: players decided to fight.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

+'s:

- This dumpster fire of a season is over
- NN is an all time great, should be AA.
- Shuey, Yeo and Ryan showed glimpses of their true wonderful selves. Please have strong uninterrupted pre seasons boys.
- Showed some fight for 2 quarters
- Witherden will be a very good player for us.

-'s:

- Probably the most disappointing season in WCE history, when you consider expectations vs results.
- Gave up at the end.
- Umpires were disgraceful, fast ruining the game for me.
- Cole isn't an AFL footballer
- Petro isn't an AFL footballer
- Brander is a total bust, one of our worst drafting errors.
- NN won't be given AA
- Waterman is nothing more than a back up player.
- Club was unfit all season and completely fell apart after the bye

Well. This season was nothing short of a disaster.

Mass changes must be made in the off season or we're in for a world of hurt for 5+ years.

This side really feels like the Australian Cricket team. A coach who has most probably lost the players, relying on top end talent who are either injured or past their prime. Dubious quality coming up through the ranks plus a stale and redundant game plan.

Too many players are being backed in due to their reputation and it appears like no one wants to do the hard stuff when the game gets taken away from us (bar Nic).

Let's hope for some fresh ideas and change this coming off season.

best post of the year

My highlight was Berry marking a ball that travelled about 8m, missing the set shot then being gifted a second shot from the top of the square because Cole breathed on him. Soon after Darling marks on the behind line (after Gardiner makes front on contact with no eyes on the ball), snaps around the corner and goals only for the umpire to make him take the kick again. Really capped off a well umpired, objectively commentated game of football.
I watched at the local pub, and didn't have any commentary (although I did hear Lyon was on when I went to the bar so that was probably a good thing) but the umpiring in the second half seemed like the fix was dead-set in.

I'm not sure which was my favourite - probably the second (both incorrect) down the ground free kick where Cameron wanted to stop and take the kick (which should have been 30m back where it landed) and then just played on when everyone stopped. Or the Berry taking a dive (yes Cole was dumb in this one but the ump should have told him just to get up). Or the numerous high contacts that were there on way but not the other. Or the century of prior opportunity which should have seen us kicking on goal but instead saw the umpire remonstrating with Brander. Or the baffling ruck free kick against Nainanui that no-one had any idea what it was or who it was for. Or....

Yeah, great game.

+ NN absolute star.
+ Team playing with some heart for large patches, nice seeing the corridor being used and the boys not playing too negatively.
+ Shuey and Yeo playing with a bit more grunt like old times.
+ Rotham outstanding. Why was he dropped in the first place.
+ Ryan's first half and Cripps 2nd half
+ Edwards and Foley were decent.

- Sheed slow moving, slow decision making. Looks like he runs with invisible skis and poles, is quite bizarre.
- Waterman a complete disappearing act aside from that nice mark and goal.
- Brander trying to kick goal of the year on a couple of occasions and turning it over. What a waste of a pick.
- Umpire vision must have been obscured by the dangling genitalia on their heads.

Biggest negative is we've chosen to sh*t the bed in the one season in many of our lifetimes that WA will host the Grand Final. FML.

In the same year we have arguably the most dominant player in the league too.

I watched at the local pub, and didn't have any commentary (although I did hear Lyon was on when I went to the bar so that was probably a good thing) but the umpiring in the second half seemed like the fix was dead-set in.

I'm not sure which was my favourite - probably the second (both incorrect) down the ground free kick where Cameron wanted to stop and take the kick (which should have been 30m back where it landed) and then just played on when everyone stopped. Or the Berry taking a dive (yes Cole was dumb in this one but the ump should have told him just to get up). Or the numerous high contacts that were there on way but not the other. Or the century of prior opportunity which should have seen us kicking on goal but instead saw the umpire remonstrating with Brander. Or the baffling ruck free kick against Nainanui that no-one had any idea what it was or who it was for. Or....

Yeah, great game.

It did have the look of a 'fixed' game but other than the usual home crowd factor I can't see what conspiratorial benefit there is to Brisbane finishing 4th over WB.

Brisbane are the only team other than Port that can have a home final with a crowd that makes the AFL some money. So I guess they get a home semi/prelim instead of a home elimination final. OK?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back