• Van Demons

Votes: 19 6.0%
  • Devils

Votes: 270 85.4%
  • Tasmanian Tigers

Votes: 27 8.5%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Will be interesting to how long they stay united when there based in Hobart full time with a couple of pre season games in Launceston?

I’d have thought it was more likely they’d play a handful of premiership games in Launceston like the Giants currently (pre-covid at least) do with Canberra.

I’d have thought it was more likely they’d play a handful of premiership games in Launceston like the Giants currently (pre-covid at least) do with Canberra.
If they want to attract sponsors from within Tasmania or from the mainland plus if they want to play out of a new stadium it’s a no brainer Hobart is the place you need to start up from.

If they want to attract sponsors from within Tasmania or from the mainland plus if they want to play out of a new stadium it’s a no brainer Hobart is the place you need to start up from.

You would have said the same about the Giants and Western Sydney but they’ve played regular games in Canberra since they were formed.

I think Tasmanian Devils is an obvious choice and it works for me as a name. Don't see an issue with demons/devils

If you wanted to steer clear of it though you could do some fun things...
Tassie Titans has a nice ring - possibly too similar to giants though
Tasmania Wild or Tasmania Brave or Tasmania Bite are all names that could work with a Tassie devil mascot
Tasmania Triumph? For the alliteration

While the team is likely to be Hobart based (Capital city preference) I note in the Taskforce document it is proposed the 'marque matches' where Tas play the bigger AFL clubs will be at York Park, mainly due to proposed upgrade (already has approved part funding) that will increase the venues capacity to 27,500.

Agree, but unless someone like Twiggy Forrest decides to spend some loose change ($4/500M) we are a long, long way off this becoming a reality...

In my view, it would be better to spend half of that and upgrade KGV Oval (same dimensions as the MCG) and throw in a light rail service from the city on the existing lines...?

Mac point stadium.jpg

Last edited:
Are you sure, we already have; Hawks/Eagles - Crows/Magpies - Cats/Lions/Tigers, so the Demons/Devils is hardly gonna look out of place..?

Could probably argue Demons and Devils are too of the same thing as oppose animal nicknames.

Im sure they can find a name that is not as bizarre as Jackjumpers.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Could probably argue Demons and Devils are too of the same thing as oppose animal nicknames.

Im sure they can find a name that is not as bizarre as Jackjumpers.

You could, if you ignore the fact one is a mythical entity based on theology, while the other is an actual existing animal and Tasmania's official emblem...?

Last edited:
Haven't read the thread, but favourite would be Devils or Mariners surely.

I'd like to propose "the Cartographers" however.

Haven't read the thread, but favourite would be Devils or Mariners surely.

I'd like to propose "the Cartographers" however.
Oh, it will be Tasmania Devils - if it happens at all. It shouldn't be the state name, but will be; and they must not wear the map.
It would be nice to see something less obvious as the mascot, but really after the first few months it would make zero difference.

Oh, it will be Tasmania Devils - if it happens at all. It shouldn't be the state name, but will be; ...
Why shouldn't it be the state name? What's the alternative, given the new club would need to represent the whole state? Naming it Hobart will offend the whole north of the state, whereas naming it Launceston will write off any support from the South. So Tasmania it has to be - and "Devils" seems to be the obvious nickname, being a fiercesome, carnivorous (albeit little) native beast.

Back