Certified Legendary Thread Roos lodge plans for massive Arden St upgrade

Remove this Banner Ad

Why not?
If we want to continue to host games there we should have grandstand like punt road

instead of just sitting on the hill

Do you mean the 1914 heritage grand stand that the AFL has deemed to be unsafe for use during games? The same one that Richmond wants to demolish but the National Trust is fighting to stop them? Or the plans for a new stand which is included in a $60 million upgrade that won't be possible if the National Trust has their way?

What point are you trying to make here?

People getting on their high horses calling out other posters as today being some sort of victory parade are going to be severely disappointed I feel.

The BOQ provisions above are exactly that, for a community sporting field to service the increase in population. Not a second elite training facility.

Severely disappointed with the initial master plan. I'd be lying if I said I was surprised though. Always thought we were going to get shafted given the initial planning submissions basically never mentioned the club.

This is also coming from someone heavily involved with the Arden station development atm also.
This. Seems like some posters are more interested in "told ya so's" then looking at the actual plans.

Can't help but be a little disappointed. The only benefit seems to be a second oval with club rooms to keep the foot traffic off of our oval.

I had hoped for something serious like the Fremantle - Cockburn ARC project with investment from the local governement. Maybe something a little serious like Richmonds rebuild with some seating.

Those calling it a victory are only fooling themselves. The only victory is we are at least mentioned this time. For the amount of money going into the area and the time spent grafting to get something out of it I'd say we are barely at break even.

I expected more for the hard work North puts in to the community.

Do you mean the 1914 heritage grand stand that the AFL has deemed to be unsafe for use during games? The same one that Richmond wants to demolish but the National Trust is fighting to stop them? Or the plans for a new stand which is included in a $60 million upgrade that won't be possible if the National Trust has their way?

LOL, facts don't enter into this.

You’ve got to read the room, having additional green space with NMFC tagged all over it would be like a red rag to a bull amongst a certain noisy cohort.

Assume the club will be mobilising third party submissions with ‘themed’ preferred outcomes into the community consultation process.

Not aware of any of that but in general I’m sure we could build a safe grandstand

This. Seems like some posters are more interested in "told ya so's" then looking at the actual plans.

Can't help but be a little disappointed. The only benefit seems to be a second oval with club rooms to keep the foot traffic off of our oval.

I had hoped for something serious like the Fremantle - Cockburn ARC project with investment from the local governement. Maybe something a little serious like Richmonds rebuild with some seating.

Those calling it a victory are only fooling themselves. The only victory is we are at least mentioned this time. For the amount of money going into the area and the time spent grafting to get something out of it I'd say we are barely at break even.

LOL.

This isn't the end of the line for the project.

Again, the immense OH THE VFL TEAM HAS BEEN CAANED FOR THE W side energy on this thread is quite hilarious.

It is a major victory in that we've got the whole project redesigned according to what we want.

Imagine what the next stages might look like if we're now driving it like this?

You're a smart person - surely you understand what stage this is at and how much further there is to go in at all?

What point are you trying to make here?

People getting on their high horses calling out other posters as today being some sort of victory parade are going to be severely disappointed I feel.

The BOQ provisions above are exactly that, for a community sporting field to service the increase in population. Not a second elite training facility.

Severely disappointed with the initial master plan. I'd be lying if I said I was surprised though. Always thought we were going to get shafted given the initial planning submissions basically never mentioned the club.

This is also coming from someone heavily involved with the Arden station development atm also.

Thanks for the extra insights. That's a bit of a downer, keen to hear more about this though.
It just comes across as unfathomable as to how/why the club has such a low profile in the planning documents, especially in the visioning piece. It's almost like it was developed by Demetriou/*/Wilson and Associates. Surely you start with the vision of the ministerial launch at Arden Street in a few years with smiling Huddle kids, premiership captain Jy Simpkin and Brownlow Medallist Tarryn Thomas, turning the first sod on a massive new community facility/stadium complex and then work backwards from there.

If you are looking to plan for generational change to an area of the city with a unique attribute of a community-minded AFL club surely you'd be pumping it up and trying to make it a focal point of the plan. I'm sure having an amazing, vibrant hub of a club with all the trimmings smack bang in this precinct is much better for its liveability than lots of fancy water sensitive urban design.

You'd think the developers would love things like boutique stadiums, state of the art sports facilities and a café and pub that you can sip drinks and enjoy nibbles whilst watching the VFL boys or girls playing on a Friday night to draw in future residents. Hopefully our govt liaison person can also schmooze some of those guys too.

Yeah but they only have one oval and have to be in a place called Cockburn.

In all seriouslyness though, this urban redevelopment project was never about building a sports and aquatic centre like ARC was so they are two very different things completely. That said, given the potential footprint that the club could gain from this the potential for significant upgrades in the future to our existing base is certainly there.

In all seriouslyness though, this urban redevelopment project was never about building a sports and aquatic centre like ARC was so they are two very different things completely. That said, given the potential footprint that the club could gain from this the potential for significant upgrades in the future to our existing base is certainly there.
Cockburn is also 30 minutes out of the city without traffic, and is really still a developing suburb. You can't compare the two suburbs at all.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

LOL.

This isn't the end of the line for the project.

Again, the immense OH THE VFL TEAM HAS BEEN CAANED FOR THE W side energy on this thread is quite hilarious.

It is a major victory in that we've got the whole project redesigned according to what we want.

Imagine what the next stages might look like if we're now driving it like this?
I know you're chomping at the bit to engage in a snake type discussion but a little news flash for you...he isn't here. So stop trying to bring it up in every 2nd comment in this thread. You're fighting an invisible person and it's derailing the thread.

People want to get serious about the North AFLW, VFL and AFL teams. At the moment this isn't cutting it. It's not a steo backwards like the last proposal but it sure as hell isn't a step forwards. At the moment North jumped and landed in the same spot.

You can spin it all you want and promise this and that but the proof will be in the puddin'. Save the political speak.

There definitely are positives. But the positives involve continual grafting from the club and it's members. I think some (myself included) thought there'd be some positives and potentially some help for the club from the local government (like other clubs seem to get time and time again).

So that's the disappointment. We are existing in an area that is being redeveloped as opposed to redeveloping with it.

I know you're chomping at the bit to engage in a snake type discussion but a little news flash for you...he isn't here. So stop trying to bring it up in every 2nd comment in this thread. You're fighting an invisible person and it's derailing the thread.

People want to get serious about the North AFLW, VFL and AFL teams. At the moment this isn't cutting it. It's not a steo backwards like the last proposal but it sure as hell isn't a step forwards. At the moment North jumped and landed in the same spot.

You can spin it all you want and promise this and that but the proof will be in the puddin'. Save the political speak.

None of that addressees my post.

Do you think this is the end of the process?

As in, this is all we get and all we'll ever get from the Arden renewal project?

Or do you think there could yet be more to come?

There definitely are positives. But the positives involve continual grafting from the club and it's members. I think some (myself included) thought there'd be some positives and potentially some help for the club from the local government (like other clubs seem to get time and time again).

So that's the disappointment. We are existing in an area that is being redeveloped as opposed to redeveloping with it.

We had to overturn local government's original plan to get this lol.

Can't quite put my finger on the influence...

Edit: LOL I know people don't like him being brought up but I saw him respond to a GR tweet, checked out a few more of his takes on this development, and it's totally fair to say that he is having an absolutely normal one about it and the reaction to it on here.

Imagine throwing a hissy fit over the huddle 💀

Imagine throwing a hissy fit over the huddle 💀
I’m dealing with these types at my gridiron club, as we have juniors, women’s and men’s teams with many races, sexualities, genders and all that, we have had to institute a inclusion/equity policy, the amount of strawman bullshit arguments people have thrown out in opposition is really poor

are people in a spin because 'North Melbourne Football Club Oval' isn't used in the planning documents? I assume we all understand that the oval is not actually owned by the club, but by Melbourne City Council? In which case, naming it as 'belonging' to the club simply wouldn't be accurate - and as a comparator, lo and behold, Google tells me Punt Road Oval is called.....Punt Road Oval

Last edited:
None of that addressees my post.

Do you think this is the end of the process?

As in, this is all we get and all we'll ever get from the Arden renewal project?

Or do you think there could yet be more to come?
You don't address any points either. The only thing you're suggesting is it'll be better which is just an empty promise. You might as well be a member of the local council or brad scott himself.

Naturally things can change but perhaps you should save the victory lap until it does. At the moment the only laps you're doing is at the park next door while a family is celebrating a first birthday under a gazebo...and the birthday cake ain't a North Melbourne one... :drunk:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back