List Mgmt. Carlton Draft 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

Assuming that we take Austin’s comments as being truthful, if we are to remove the rucks, tall forwards, tall defenders and even the general defenders, who are the 5 or so midfielder/forwards we would likely to be choosing from?

Im surprised Butler hasn’t been mentioned, early in the year he was ranked quite a bit higher but has slipped, which is strange as not much footy has been played.
I think the talent and upside of these guys are far better than what any of the KPP types look to have around our first selection range, I’d try and get up into a handful of earlier picks if the opportunity comes available…

Nasiah Wanganeen 187cm 70kg
Glenelg: winger/midfielder

Josh Sinn 186cm 82kg
Sandringham: defender/winger

Campbell Chesser 186cm 83kg Sandringham: winger/forward

Darcy Wilmont 183cm 75kg
Northern Knights: defender/winger

Sam Butler 184cm 73kg
GWV Rebels: forward/midfielder

Blake Howes 190cm 79kg
Sandringham Dragons: winger/forward

Last edited:
My thoughts as well - i fully expect we will select 2 in the draft, upgrade Kennedy, LOB in the Rookie draft and Cottrell to be added later for a LTI
The club has stated in black and white that they have made a commitment to O'Brien and Cottrell to be selected in the Rookie draft. This is a fact.
The suggestion about Cottrell having to be selected as a supplemental player if Docherty gets moved to LTI is not impossible but has no factual basis at this point. Probably why it is getting some momentum in this thread.

The club has stated in black and white that they have made a commitment to O'Brien and Cottrell to be selected in the Rookie draft. This is a fact.
The suggestion about Cottrell having to be selected as a supplemental player if Docherty gets moved to LTI is not impossible but has no factual basis at this point. Probably why it is getting some momentum in this thread.

Interview with Austin released earlier today confirmed club's intention to use just one pick.

Interview with Austin released earlier today confirmed club's intention to use just one pick.

“We’ll definitely use our first pick in the draft and work through some upgrades potentially at the back-end,” he said.

“We’re really comfortable picking at No.25. We feel like with this draft and the lack of exposure, there’s going to be a blanket thrown over a group of player probably from pick No.7 onwards. We’ve done a lot of work in that 10-40 range and we feel like we’re sitting in a good spot.

“We’ve had a few offers for it at the moment, but unless it’s something really appealing to us that we can improve next year’s hand with a slight shift back this year, we’re pretty comfortable.

I have to admit - I know nothing about the talent pool.
But, from a helicopter point of view

Let's get Rhett Bazzo with #25
I would much prefer a KPP over any other positions at this selection, including someone like Conway

I suggested we would take 2 picks with 1 rookie upgrade.
Turns out we may take 1 pick with 2 rookie upgrades.

Whilst yes I was incorrect about the composition of the three spots, you can surely see that regardless of which approach we take it involves three senior list spots?

You said we didn't have the spots to do it. We do. 2+1 and 1+2 both equal 3. I'm terrible with maths, but even I know that.

Not once have I edited anything you've posted. You have a habit of editing and deleting your own posts - often done to try and change your own argument - maybe you forgot you did that?

More than happy to admit when I get things wrong. I did it above when I said turns out we're going with 1 + 2 rather than the 2 + 1 I thought we would.

Beyond that though I haven't done it here as there's been no need to do it. You haven't been correct, regardless of how many times you chop and change your argument.

That's a rather mischievous thing to say...

Didn't say you edited any of my posts (looking back.. I see how you could have thought that, but that wasn't, what was meant)
What was meant was, you did a separate edited post, of your own opinion and changed it to the fact (which I attached)
The fact looks like being what I posted...

I have never edited a post to change an opinion or argument ever, that's a flat our lie...

I delete posts because I have OCD and struggle with clutter that's no longer relevant or bordering on inappropriate after thought..
I try to stop it but its hard for me... (happy for you or any other Mod to reinstate any of my posts you think are relevant)

I edit my posts because the sentence structures don't make sense when I read them once posted..
I post them first then read, because it's easier for me to read once posted, then to have links everywhere..
Also if I found that I missed including something in my post I will add to it, would think this would be rather normal, for posters to do...

If you have any issues with the way I post or my OCD, you or any other mod are always welcome to PM me.

As for the rest, the back and forth are doing neither of us much good...

Yep, Austin's interview provides the factual basis so we can all stop speculating!

“We’ll definitely use our first pick in the draft and work through some upgrades potentially at the back-end,” he said.

“We’re really comfortable picking at No.25. We feel like with this draft and the lack of exposure, there’s going to be a blanket thrown over a group of player probably from pick No.7 onwards. We’ve done a lot of work in that 10-40 range and we feel like we’re sitting in a good spot.

“We’ve had a few offers for it at the moment, but unless it’s something really appealing to us that we can improve next year’s hand with a slight shift back this year, we’re pretty comfortable.

Maybe he’s hinting at dropping a few spots back in the second round this year and getting back next years third round pick he needlessly threw away …?

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Jason Horne-Francis also another good option if still there at our draft pick.
ha ha..
53747566.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If we are only taking one pick in the draft, surely we will look to trade 64 or whatever it is to move up a few places in the order, a few have mentioned the Dogs pick 23, I would hope we don’t just waste it.
Knowing this, wish we had traded out 64 and maybe a future 3rd round pick swap for Young. And asked for a future pick for SPS.

I think the talent and upside of these guys are far better than what any of the KPP types look to have around our first selection range, I’d try and get up into a handful of earlier picks if the opportunity comes available…

Nasiah Wanganeen 187cm 70kg
Glenelg: winger/midfielder

Josh Sinn 186cm 82kg
Sandringham: defender/winger

Campbell Chesser 186cm 83kg Sandringham: winger/forward

Darcy Wilmont 183cm 75kg
Northern Knights: defender/winger

Sam Butler 184cm 73kg
GWV Rebels: forward/midfielder

Blake Howes 190cm 79kg
Sandringham Dragons: winger/forward
Wanganeen & Chesser both would be great, unfortunately definitely out of our grasp at 25.
Should we enter at mid twenties , Butler may be available with some luck, hopefully Austin values him too, a good asset, at 184 cm tall, not sml framed lightning fast , neat hands, some real dash and skill, at a reasonable cost.

Last edited:
Haha, well I think Gibcus and JHF are both equally zero chances of making it to 25. That was the attempted joke.
It fell flat. I knew whom the number one pick guy was before today. The rest of names in draft pool apart from Darcy and Daicos never heard of.
Gibsuc never heard of until looked up some stuff on what key defender options there were.

It fell flat. I knew whom the number one pick guy was before today. The rest of names in draft pool apart from Darcy and Daicos never heard of.
Gibsuc never heard of until looked up some stuff on what key defender options there were.
It fell flat with you because of your lack of knowledge. I am not naturally a funny guy but I thought that was some of my best work!

We’ve had a few offers for it at the moment, but unless it’s something really appealing to us that we can improve next year’s hand with a slight shift back this year, we’re pretty comfortable.

1634279734881.png

Wonder what the interest is for clubs getting better hands at this years draft seeing that it's a huge unknown for Victorian players ie. the bulk of the draft.

Is it because they think they can pick up gems that may have otherwise been early selections? Because they think they are contending now/soon and would rather get a year into a kid then wait another year?

Reckon it you could get a glimpse at clubs draft rankings, this year would wildly differ club to club - way more than any year previously.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back