The McGovern conundrum

What comes to mind when someone says ‘McGovern’

• Up against JSoS for 3rd tall fwd. I prefer the hardworking JSoS.

Votes: 35 22.4%
  • Up against JSoS for 3rd tall fwd. I prefer McGovern as he has the 3xtra gear when fit.

Votes: 4 2.6%
  • Can play with JSoS, CC and Harry. I don’t believe that is too tall, and to hell with def tackling.

Votes: 10 6.4%
  • I see McGovern as a third tall defender. Ahead of Plowman, Kemp and Marchbank.

Votes: 19 12.2%
  • I don’t see McGovern as having the hardness, determination and concentration of a defender.

Votes: 6 3.8%
  • I rate Mcgoverns speed and kicking and just want him in the 22.

Votes: 33 21.2%
  • I see McGovern’s lack of commitment and feel he should prove himself fwd or back in the VFL.

Votes: 49 31.4%
  • How dare you insinuate anything negative about our player (provided for the believers/derailers)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Is that McGoverns stats since being at Carlton? He hasn’t shown as much impact as I feel Jack has over the past 3 years.
That's over their careers - a fair comparison since they've played a similar amount of games.
Jack has shown little as a forward - his best work has come when playing further up the ground.

Given you only see him as an intercept defender and have Marchbank ahead of him, and Kemp, then why not select the option of him going to the VFL and proving himself back or fwd?
The VFL probably does not start until April so he has intra-club games, practice games and pre-season games to try to get a spot there. If he not claimed a spot by April, yes, it into the reserves team path to earn his way into the 22 there. But he has opportunities in February and March to get into a position to start round 1 in seniors, especially if Jones decides he retiring rather than go with AFL vaccine policy to play on.

Last edited:
Is that McGoverns stats since being at Carlton? He hasn’t shown as much impact as I feel Jack has over the past 3 years.
In terms of output at Carlton over the past 3 years:

McGovern - 33 games, 280 disposals, 37 goals, 16 GA, 59 Tackles.

Jack - 35 games, 450 disposals, 24 goals, 21 GA, 101 Tackles.

In terms of output at Carlton over the past 3 years:

McGovern - 33 games, 280 disposals, 37 goals, 16 GA, 59 Tackles.

Jack - 35 games, 450 disposals, 24 goals, 21 GA, 101 Tackles.
Cheers! Stats also do not show that when Jack is sent to ruck, he gives it his all. Some tall forwards sulk when asked to go there. Has McG ever rucked for us?

Cheers! Stats also do not show that when Jack is sent to ruck, he gives it his all. Some tall forwards sulk when asked to go there. Has McG ever rucked for us?
Hit Out stats - Jack 17, McG 3.

Apart from the stats, Voss will be expecting hard at the contest efforts from all players including players in the forward half. McG is way behind Jack in this area.

Their averages since McGovern joined the club for 2019

Jack
GMKHDMGBTHOFFFAGAI50CLCGR50
Ave
11.6​
7.1​
3.7​
10.8​
3.5​
0.7​
0.7​
2.2​
0.36​
0.76​
0.63​
0.4​
2.1​
0.5​
2.2​
0.2​
Mitch
Ave
11​
6.7​
2.2​
9​
3.9​
1.1​
0.5​
1.9​
0​
1​
0.3​
0.4​
2.4​
0​
1.6​
0.4​

Their averages since McGovern joined the club for 2019

Jack
Ave
11.6​
7.1​
3.7​
10.8​
3.5​
0.7​
0.7​
2.2​
0.36​
0.76​
0.63​
0.4​
2.1​
0.5​
2.2​
0.2​
Mitch
Ave
11​
6.7​
2.2​
9​
3.9​
1.1​
0.5​
1.9​
0​
1​
0.3​
0.4​
2.4​
0​
1.6​
0.4​
Calculations are a little off BJ.

Jacks 450 disposals over 35 games equates to average of 13.6/game - McG 280 over 33 is 8.5/game.

Similarly Jack’s 101 tackles over 35 is an average of 2.9/game - McG 59 over 33 is 1.8/game.

Mitch to fullback…
The taller key forwards will eat him for breakfast.
Nah, if he makes it down back it more likely to be as a Lever type where he more there to intercept and be on second line of defence, rather than be last line of defence and responsible for a key forward of note.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In terms of being hard at the contest, I can recall several occasions where Gov absolutely buried some guy in a tackle and I wished that others in the team would show similar ferocity. But then he'd go missing for a quarter or more and I'd wish that he would show the same commitment that he showed earlier.

Gov is pretty much the embodiment of Teague's description of the team throughout the year: he's got the ability, he just needs to deliver consistently for four quarters.

Right now Jack is way ahead for mine because I know he's going to fight out every minute of the game. I have no confidence in Gov to do the same. But I'd be delighted for Gov to prove me wrong next year.

McGovern has Jack covered in goals, goal assists, marks inside f50, inside 50s, contested marks, 1 percenters and score involvements.
That McGovern is seen as lazy, despite the statistical advantage further drives home this point .
Jack is more of a general utility than anything.
Doesn’t pass the eye test. Give me GOS eight days a week.

Young & OMD will take on the giant star forwards , possibly rotating ,spoil and minimize their impact whenever possible.
Our general is Weitering whom will be supported by Marchy, Gov, Saad and Williams , cleaning up the ground ball, defense will be fine.
I’m sure Voss and co are already planning for all contingencies.

Perfect opportunity for McGov to trial down back. With the right commitment I think he could be an excellent defender like his brother

Last edited by a moderator:
Perfect opportunity for McGov to trial down back. With the right commitment I think he could be an excellent defender like his brother

I have it on good authority that we’ll see Gov playing as a defender.

I’m a bit sceptical as to whether it will work out but on the other hand he’s done SFA as a forward for us (even when fit), so it’s a bit of a free hit.

Last edited:
Back