Live Event 2021 AFL Draft live discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

It's hard to have confidence in stack long term atm.

DRioli is a defender by the looks of things.

It's a bonus if MRioli comes good

Bolton is a mid

Edwards won't play forever

Baker yeah but not be played forward.

Ideally you want to upgrade on aarts/George

Stack is a gun, will light it up next year

D Rioli isn’t a defender long term they’ve just drafted 2 fast rebounding defenders.

Bolton is a fwd/mid and a brilliant one at that. He will aways run through the fwd line in patches.

Baker like Dan doesn’t have a place in defence based on what we just drafted and everyone keeps saying he’s too small for mid full time so he’ll be rolling through the small fwd role as well. Haven’t even mentioned Cumberland, Parker either. TOO MANY

Last edited:

Well..Clarke reaches for multiple kids every year to try and outsmart everyone.

And none of our kids since 2017 have proven anything. Go back and look at our selections. Dow considered a reach, Ross, RCD considered a reach, CCJ gone, Cumberland gone, etc.
LoL.3 flags plus covid.

Yeah when we were sh*te! Hard to draft stars with sh*t picks, not to mention these guys haven’t got many opportunities yet

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
It's the type and strategy that seems odd.

We keep trying to find the unexpected gems from left field positions.

FFS, get some guinuine mids and forwards with size!

so many sooks in here.

These so called players we should have picked...

Well guess what all other clubs are passing on these players as well. I will back our club in over people watching some you tube videos and what Knightmare rates.

Very excited by what we just picked up.
Lets not look at what they play in their juniors but what maybe the club will turn them into.

Gibcus could play forward,Naughton was drafted as a defender and if Gibcus becomes just as good im very excited by him climbing above packs in our forward 50.

Brown can play wing and can run all day and looks like he has some speed to burn

Sonsie this time last year was touted as pick 1.

Banks looks like he can play mid as well and is a good user of the ball

Clarke wowee with that pace. If you ask me another weakness for us last season was our small forwards. If Clarke can come on him MRJ will create havoc in our forward line and create turnovers at will. Can finish as well
Its not who we took, its their positions.

The club desperately needs big forwards and pure midfielders. Instead we took 2 players in a position we are generally stacked in, and a small forward.

I see Matty Knights.

Dow yes, albeit slightly. RCD was expected to go a few higher.

Your unlikely going to get the next good young midfielder at 30 to be fair. I think it seems the way the draft has gone, the mids in this years draft are considered overrated.

I don’t get Banks. Seems similar to Tom Brown. You take the player not the position, but I’m not sure he is too different from Brown. But could be a midfielder? One I felt was strange.
I take it banks is outside mid with good disposal a feature , our current young mids are almost entirely inside, rcd, Martyn and Dow so banks and brown are a balance , banks size means he’ll be 18mths away , Gibbo, brown and sonsie could play games in ‘22

LoL.3 flags plus covid.

Doesn't change the fact the draft record since 2017 would be among the worst in the league.

Yes they had average picks but there's barely one proven player. And it's going to look horrific if RCD, Ross and Dow bomb this year.

The confidence in Clarke from some is based on reality from 4-5+ years ago not recently. How can people defend picking 1 mid and no key forward. There is literally no one even developing or ready to play behind a 32 year old Riewoldt. Think about that.

Clarke just said we filled all our needs with our 5 picks 🤣

Talking about attributes, not just position.

Positions are overrated in the modern game anyway. Players aren't born to be stucked in one position in the field and are only capable of playing in that one position for the rest of their career, they need to be versatile.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

And none of our kids since 2017 have proven anything. Go back and look at our selections. Dow considered a reach, Ross, RCD considered a reach, CCJ gone, Cumberland gone, etc.

They won a ******* VFL flag in 2019.

People acting like the players we picked this draft will actually play next year lol Something would have to go horrifically wrong for any of these guys to get significant time/games over the next 2 years.
1637832301801.png

People acting like the players we picked this draft will actually play next year lol Something would have to go horrifically wrong for any of these guys to get significant time/games over the next 2 years.
I reckon Sonsie will play next year.

A few years down the track I reckon we'll look back and see that we nabbed the best key defender, and one of the best mids of this draft class.

Sent from my CPH1951 using Tapatalk

Doesn't change the fact the draft record since 2017 would be among the worst in the league.

Yes they had average picks but there's barely one proven player. And it's going to look horrific if RCD, Ross and Dow bomb this year.

The confidence in Clarke from some is based on reality from 4-5+ years ago not recently. How can people defend picking 1 mid or no key forward. There is no one behind a 32 year old Riewoldt. Think about that.

This isn't a great draft for tall forwards and one great one was taken before our first pick...

The confidence in Clarke from some is based on reality from 4-5+ years ago not recently. How can people defend picking 1 mid or no key forward. There is no one behind a 32 year old Riewoldt. Think about that.

We have Caddy behind Riewoldt :think::D

I love the positive thinking, but this is the problem. The best midfields, the ones that win finals, are always made up of the best pure midfielders going around. You rarely see bit-part forward/mids turn into big possession winners all around the ground, or contested players.

What we needed were ball winners, your guys like Ward, Hobbs, Johnson, Taylor even, what we got was a key defender and 4 flankers. Sonsie is a great get but I’m concerned he’ll always be a rung down from the pure mid we need.

My grandpa passed away at 86 in 2014 but used to always, ALWAYS say that Richmond had long had an issue picking too many flankers, we never got the good key position guys nor the best midfielders that would dominate games. Despite the recent success it’s crazy that this still continues, although we’re getting better at drafting key defenders.

It's not that easy to find A grade mids in the 20s

The club can't force other clubs to trade. For all we know we tried to use those second rounders to move into the first round again or grab 21. Somethings don't work out. We aren't the only club to pass over many names mentioned in here.

On SM-G781B using BigFooty.com mobile app

They also tried to trade for Horne / Callaghan which is a good sign

With a bit of luck sonsie comes good

You don't make sense our hauls have delivered 3 flags that's the facts simple as that.How about we back the the club who delivered that.

The confidence in Clarke from some is based on reality from 4-5+ years ago not recently. How can people defend picking 1 mid and no key forward. There is literally no one even developing or ready to play behind a 32 year old Riewoldt. Think about that.

So picking up a dud key forward is the answer? LMAO.

so many sooks in here.

These so called players we should have picked...

Well guess what all other clubs are passing on these players as well. I will back our club in over people watching some you tube videos and what Knightmare rates.

Very excited by what we just picked up.
Lets not look at what they play in their juniors but what maybe the club will turn them into.

Gibcus could play forward,Naughton was drafted as a defender and if Gibcus becomes just as good im very excited by him climbing above packs in our forward 50.

Brown can play wing and can run all day and looks like he has some speed to burn

Sonsie this time last year was touted as pick 1.

Banks looks like he can play mid as well and is a good user of the ball

Clarke wowee with that pace. If you ask me another weakness for us last season was our small forwards. If Clarke can come on him MRJ will create havoc in our forward line and create turnovers at will. Can finish as well
1637832411586.png

All the kids picked in the draft are obviously very talented and their highlights reels might look great but you have to remember it's still kids playing against kids so no certainty how their careers pan out. Dusty was like a man child playing seniors at 16 for Castlemaine. Big difference.

Yeah they should be dominating by now. It's not like we won 3 flags and made a prelim in that period or anything.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back