Player Watch #28 Josh Gibcus

Remove this Banner Ad

Hope so.
But something not right that he fell so far.
Be a bonus for us if he tanked to get to us.lol
Agree.
If he’s committed he will be the steal of the draft. If he continues to show the same desire (or lack of) to put in the hard work as he did in 21, he won’t make it.

He’s a gamble but with three picks in the 20s, one we could definitely afford to take.

When you look at the players we picked before and after him you can see he was the higher risk one.

Brown- will be a solid 200 game player for us. I can see this guy being a Vlastuin type team contributor (as in how he contributes to the team as a key role player, not his position).

Banks- Another that was held back only by injury in 21. His desire to succeed is immense. Polarised clubs because of his lack of exposed form, but we obviously rated him high on his leadership and desire and liked what we saw when he got on the park. If Sonsie had his intent, he would have gone top 10.

Agree.
If he’s committed he will be the steal of the draft. If he continues to show the same desire (or lack of) to put in the hard work as he did in 21, he won’t make it.

He’s a gamble but with three picks in the 20s, one we could definitely afford to take.

When you look at the players we picked before and after him you can see he was the higher risk one.

Brown- will be a solid 200 game player for us. I can see this guy being a Vlastuin type team contributor (as in how he contributes to the team as a key role player, not his position).

Banks- Another that was held back only by injury in 21. His desire to succeed is immense. Polarised clubs because of his lack of exposed form, but we obviously rated him high on his leadership and desire and liked what we saw when he got on the park. If Sonsie had his intent, he would have gone top 10.

The lack of desire puzzles me. By all reports he was more then alright then he went on and ripped up a VFL game. To me that’s not lack of desire but more so looking for a greater challenge. Maybe the traits he showed turned clubs off and that’s fine by me. He is one of ours now. A long time passionate tigers man as well. Running with his idols should bring out the best in him

Weitering played 20 games first year.

Gibcus is lighter but might be able to play year1
When Weitering played it was when the list was at its weakest and they were starting the play the kids route to get games into them not worried about winning games

Our window is still open so mature bodies and experience will be prioritised over youth

The lack of desire puzzles me. By all reports he was more then alright then he went on and ripped up a VFL game. To me that’s not lack of desire but more so looking for a greater challenge. Maybe the traits he showed turned clubs off and that’s fine by me. He is one of ours now. A long time passionate tigers man as well. Running with his idols should bring out the best in him
It’s human nature boxxie.

A couple of recruiters believed he got by on talent in 21 and didn’t put in the hard work in building up his body in preparation to be drafted into the AFL system.

There were also questions on his ability to be able to fully play his role in the team because of this, even though his offensive work in his highlights were impressive.

The saying hard work beats talent when talent doesn’t work hard is true of some junior prodigies who don’t kick on. And the reason why many teams in multiple sporting codes have good honest players who extract the absolute maximum from their abilities and contribute to team success even though they may not be as talented as others. We have several of these on our list which is great to see.

Hopefully Tyler is in the environment to bring out his desire to succeed.

When Weitering played it was when the list was at its weakest and they were starting the play the kids route to get games into them not worried about winning games

Our window is still open so mature bodies and experience will be prioritised over youth
I'd prefer best available and if best 22 comes down to him vs a rinse and repeat established player, give the kid a run.

Its amazing what an injection of youth can do to lift a team.

I'd prefer best available and if best 22 comes down to him vs a rinse and repeat established player, give the kid a run.

Its amazing what an injection of youth can do to lift a team.
If we are talking about purely that interceptor role he isn’t fighting for a spot against a rinse and repeat types
It isn’t a small defender or small forward role it’s one of the most important roles in the way we play
He’s up against Vlossy, Broad, Grimes, Balta and now Tarrant
He isn’t getting a game ahead of any of those guys, Plus I would say Biggy and Miller would still get the nod before him just due to that extra development they have had

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Agree.

Yep.
His attitude will be the key.
No question he has talent.

Who comes out of the best 22 for him?

Personally I think three talls and Dusty makes us too light on when the ball hits the deck up forward.

Balta isn't George but he is hardly a lumbering type. If forward be should be able add some pressure defensive

Tell me what the 22 is and I'll nominate who comes out.

Balta has shown good upside in the midfield and has the tools to be a decent fwd prospect.

There is room for Gibcus and broad potentially

Remove this Banner Ad

Back