Player Watch #28 Josh Gibcus

Remove this Banner Ad

It's his first year. Won't have the size for KPD until he has a couple of preseasons under the belt, a few more senior bodies ahead if him too, so a new role to get a feel for another part of ground.
Dimma is already saying he will be thrown forward at times with the hope he can be a swingman. So I am putting a 3rd option out there.

That's as honest I can get.
Hes a 10 year player, not really fussed about 22.

His best bet is to learn and develop his craft as a KPD in the VFL, we have no reason to force him into the AFL best 22 where in all likelihood he is not that for us in 2022.

Currently I can't get him in ahead of Tarrant, Balta or Grimes and there's no way I fit him into a wing role for us with the other young mids.

We have a hole if we wanted 3 KPFs is about the only remote chance he would have, but even then you would think Ryan or Miller back/Balta forward would be more likely in 2022 than Gibcus.

I actually wouldn't mind seeing us try Gibcus in the backline, try to let Grimes and Vlastuin be a little more attacking, and move Short to a wing. But no rush for him really, let him hone his craft against bigger bodies in the VFL for a little while until he's completely ready.

Gibcus, Tarrant, Broad
Grimes, Balta, Vlastuin
Short, Cotchin, Lambert
Edwards, Riewoldt, Bolton
Rioli, Lynch, Caddy
Nankervis, Martin, Prestia
Soldo, Graham, RCD, Baker

Man looking at that side still really makes me wish we'd traded in or drafted a top-tier midfielder. I reckon it's our biggest weakness yet just one gun away from being top tier again... Ah well.

I actually wouldn't mind seeing us try Gibcus in the backline, try to let Grimes and Vlastuin be a little more attacking, and move Short to a wing. But no rush for him really, let him hone his craft against bigger bodies in the VFL for a little while until he's completely ready.

Gibcus, Tarrant, Broad
Grimes, Balta, Vlastuin
Short, Cotchin, Lambert
Edwards, Riewoldt, Bolton
Rioli, Lynch, Caddy
Nankervis, Martin, Prestia
Soldo, Graham, RCD, Baker

Man looking at that side still really makes me wish we'd traded in or drafted a top-tier midfielder. I reckon it's our biggest weakness yet just one gun away from being top tier again... Ah well.
Stack.

Sonsie? Was expected Top 5, even number 1 prior to the 2021 season

Sonsie? Was expected Top 5, even number 1 prior to the 2021 season
Gun. Already proven it VFL level. Sounds like struggled a bit with motivation and dedication. Now at the club he supported hanging around his idols. Perfect antidote to reach his potential

Look at his highlights. Silky off both feet, kicks goals from 50, lays a big tackle, evasive, wins clearances. An absolute stroke of luck he fell to us. If he was more dedicated this year would have been a certain top 10 pick imo

Gun. Already proven it VFL level. Sounds like struggled a bit with motivation and dedication. Now at the club he supported hanging around his idols. Perfect antidote to reach his potential

Look at his highlights. Silky off both feet, kicks goals from 50, lays a big tackle, evasive, wins clearances. An absolute stroke of luck he fell to us. If he was more dedicated this year would have been a certain top 10 pick imo
Yep. But there was a reason all other clubs passed on him until our third pick.
Some have all the talent, but the commitment isn’t there.

Rankine was probably the more naturally gifted junior over Walsh, but Walsh had incredible drive to succeed couple lad with ability. The difference between the two now is stark.

Sonsie has immense talent, but I’m not sure about his willingness to succeed. If he does it will be a great boon for the club.

Time will tell.

Yep. But there was a reason all other clubs passed on him until our third pick.
Some have all the talent, but the commitment isn’t there.

Rankine was probably the more naturally gifted junior over Walsh, but Walsh had incredible drive to succeed couple lad with ability. The difference between the two now is stark.

Sonsie has immense talent, but I’m not sure about his willingness to succeed. If he does it will be a great boon for the club.

Time will tell.
Absolutely true. I don’t think there’s a better club he could have landed at though. If 23 touches and a goal a game at TAC is he being uncommitted, he’s going to kill it if he finds the dedication

Absolutely true. I don’t think there’s a better club he could have landed at though. If 23 touches and a goal a game at TAC is he being uncommitted, he’s going to kill it if he finds the dedication
Ben Lennon

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ben Lennon

Lennon was almost the opposite of Sonsie. Sonsie has all the talent in the world at his fingertips - beautiful by foot, footy smarts, confidence, reads the play, knows how to find the ball, quick and a goal kicker but has lost motivation. Lennon was a one dimensional forward who was a good mark and kick for goal but was slow off the mark, had poor lateral movement and struggled below his knees. He was motivated to earn his spot but his skill set and lack of height, made him redundant. Lennon's selection was a poor one not because of a poor attitude but because his ability made him useless to our team and game plan.

I have big hopes for Sonsie because he has so much to offer. Dusty wasn't picked up by Melbourne with their first two selections because of concerns about his attitude, Buddy was the same. Sometimes the best players just need leadership, support and a strong, nurturing culture to get the best out of themselves.

Lennon was almost the opposite of Sonsie. Sonsie has all the talent in the world at his fingertips - beautiful by foot, footy smarts, confidence, reads the play, knows how to find the ball, quick and a goal kicker but has lost motivation. Lennon was a one dimensional forward who was a good mark and kick for goal but was slow off the mark, had poor lateral movement and struggled below his knees. He was motivated to earn his spot but his skill set and lack of height, made him redundant. Lennon's selection was a poor one not because of a poor attitude but because his ability made him useless to our team and game plan.

I have big hopes for Sonsie because he has so much to offer. Dusty wasn't picked up by Melbourne with their first two selections because of concerns about his attitude, Buddy was the same. Sometimes the best players just need leadership, support and a strong, nurturing culture to get the best out of themselves.

your making too much sense here…

Fair points you make there but.
Don't you think 17 other clubs(ok maybe not Stk/Suns & Bloos)couldn't offer the same enviorment as us if motivation is the only factor?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back