Player Watch #28 Josh Gibcus

Remove this Banner Ad

Someone suggested Gibcus should be a r1 starter because he came 2nd in a preseason run. Most like myself discounted the idea for obvious reasons. However, after more thought, rather than forward, could he be tried on a wing. The Bummers used Cox quite well and he could stay out there on the wings. Thoughts?
Perhaps not r1, but preseason and then VFL if it's working?

Someone suggested Gibcus should be a r1 starter because he came 2nd in a preseason run. Most like myself discounted the idea for obvious reasons. However, after more thought, rather than forward, could he be tried on a wing. The Bummers used Cox quite well and he could stay out there on the wings. Thoughts?
no silly

I’m a big believer in playing guys where they are best suited based on body type, skill set and their ability to play a certain role.

Recruiting a key position defender to play a hard running wingman doesn’t make sense to me. I’d play him as a third tall either up front or back until a key position becomes available (or he’s better than the incumbent).

Michael Roach started as a wingman, as you say Cox went pretty well for a while. But difficult enough to get a gig, VFL will tell us more.

I think he will be capable of playing as a 3rd tall intercepting defender early on. There been a few of that type of defender make an impact early.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Honestly why?
Took the best KPD in the draft, let's train and play him on the wing....?

Maybe it’s Balta forward?
Balta will be back, Tarrant replaces Astbury.

Tarrant, Grimes, Balta will be the 3 KPDs keeping the same structure we've had for years.

Gibcus as a skinny KPD will have the opportunity to develop in the VFL as a KPD, his natural position.

Honestly why?
Took the best KPD in the draft, let's train and play him on the wing....?
It's his first year. Won't have the size for KPD until he has a couple of preseasons under the belt, a few more senior bodies ahead if him too, so a new role to get a feel for another part of ground.
Dimma is already saying he will be thrown forward at times with the hope he can be a swingman. So I am putting a 3rd option out there.

That's as honest I can get.

It's his first year. Won't have the size for KPD until he has a couple of preseasons under the belt, a few more senior bodies ahead if him too, so a new role to get a feel for another part of ground.
Dimma is already saying he will be thrown forward at times with the hope he can be a swingman. So I am putting a 3rd option out there.

That's as honest I can get.
I agree with playing him R1. He is ready.

Gotta risk it to get the biscuit

pump the brakes on this kid. He is athletic but is a rake. We have time to develop him. Play him on the wing?? Dimma said in that video he training with the backs. He will be very good for us in time. He is not a necessity to rush into a well developed backline. He'll get more then his fair share of chances. I'd be surprised if he played round 1

pump the brakes on this kid. He is athletic but is a rake. We have time to develop him. Play him on the wing?? Dimma said in that video he training with the backs. He will be very good for us in time. He is not a necessity to rush into a well developed backline. He'll get more then his fair share of chances. I'd be surprised if he played round 1
I'd be surprised if he played more than a handful of games if that, mainly due to the fact that he is not needed right now, and he is just a kid. We are still in the Premiership window if things go well this year injury wise. Not an easy side to get into.

It will be interesting to see if the club is prepared to play any of our draftees round 1. It would be exciting if the club considers any of our newbies to be ready to go.

I'd be surprised if he played more than a handful of games if that, mainly due to the fact that he is not needed right now, and he is just a kid. We are still in the Premiership window if things go well this year injury wise. Not an easy side to get into.
110% agree

bbe52c34cc3ed4aa897f83bcd21dcd9abd3171f2.png

Right.

I'm not saying play him r1, or move him away from the backline. He trains with the backs and plays back in the VFL (mostly). But from time to time, throw him forward or on a wing just to see what he can do.

Won't play a game...
Needs to bulk up...
Maybe 2/3 years time...👍

Remove this Banner Ad

Back