Game Day Practice Match - Bulldogs vs Bombers 3:00pm @ Tullamarine

Remove this Banner Ad

Lachie Hunter was brilliant last season and been very good for a long time. I will forgive him for not hitting a few targets in a meaningless game and expect him to play his best football when it counts. The only time under Beveridge I have ever seen them serious in a practice match was his first year at the club. Ever since then they have just gone through the motions and in three weeks time will look like a completely different side. O'Brien's hamstring is only a minor one and still a good chance to play round 1. Keath and Smith should be fine to go also. Like the looks of Jones and great to see Treloar up and running when he was in doubt for round 1 last season. The key is Naughton, if he can stay relatively injury free and improve his goal kicking efficiency, then I would put my house on them to make top 4.

The Good:
Treloar huge, especially front of the ball.
Hannan showed why Bev loves him. Looked to be rotating forward/wing.
Roarke - showed a bit. Expect him to have first crack at a wing
Naughton - Never out of a contest
JJ - Great game forward.
Richards - Not sure how he fits there, but encouraging down back.

The potentially bad:
JUH - didn't influence the contest at all, including defensively. May have played his way out of round 1.
Schache - not sold on him down back. Made a couple of bad errors which was uncharacteristic.
VDM - a few howlers.

The Good:
Treloar huge, especially front of the ball.
Hannan showed why Bev loves him. Looked to be rotating forward/wing.
Roarke - showed a bit. Expect him to have first crack at a wing
Naughton - Never out of a contest
JJ - Great game forward.
Richards - Not sure how he fits there, but encouraging down back.

The potentially bad:
JUH - didn't influence the contest at all, including defensively. May have played his way out of round 1.
Schache - not sold on him down back. Made a couple of bad errors which was uncharacteristic.
VDM - a few howlers.

Schache was unusually poor by foot, normally he's a lovely kick. Hopefully it doesn't knock his confidence at all, as I suspect he's a confidence player.

Our F50 delivery was appalling at best today, it seems we've done nothing to work on that at all during Bevo's time.... what I'd give to have the likes of Gilbee, Smith and Eagleton delivery to our forwards now...

Hunter's advantage is his fitness and running, of course he's going to look ordinary the less fitness intensity a match is being played in. Hardly his strength.

Duryea also didn't play in the Melbourne practice game last year for some reason, even though we theoretically played a full strength team that match, but he was fully fit throughout the pre-season and played every game until Round 20. So there's form in that regard, and it's happened before and not unusual.

Tactically in terms of playing players in certain positions - Richards HB, Johannisen HF, Dunkley 100% mid only, Schache a half forward and down back, English rucking 50+% of the game even though Martin also rucked, Hunter going on the ball for spurts and not just playing outside for the entire match probably most notable.

Thanks for the reports people.

So did we learn anything today? Were any of our midfield problems/setup in the GF second half appear to be fixed?

Honest opinion - no.

I think Martin and English rucked better today - but they were largely opposed to Draper all day (unless I missed someone), not Gawn and Jackson. Draper looks like he'll be good in time, but is still very raw in terms of games and development.

Essendon got a good bit of ball out of the middle, but I don't think we really switched out of 2nd gear for most of it.

Inside F50's were terrible. Forward structure wasn't really there. JUH doesn't seem to want body contact, so Naughton gets two defenders. Defence was good, few poor turnovers, bit fumbly at times. A few good performances as individuals but nothing to get too upset/excited by. Treloar was the standout, Richards very good, Jones looks exciting.

The obvious concern I have is that it appears English is seen as the number one ruck right now which leaves the forward line without Bruce far too Naughton centric. Ugle Hagen isn't a key forward and would be much better served with two talls down there with him. Martin spent time forward today which I would hope isn't going to be something used going forward, Schache seems to be viewed as a key defender at this stage and also is really a third tall forward, so it's hard to see a good tall setup happening for round one unless plans change significantly.

I hope the Brisbane game next week we go in with a proper forward line plan and structure. Jamarra needs to be a third tall, not second (yet). In time he’s going to run and jump over anyone. Confidence, fitness and body weight not there yet. And Hannan can’t be a third tall either. Martin cannot play forward either - he’s as slow as a wet day.
Tim needs to play 50% forward, to take the heat off Naughton. I hope we don’t go into 2022 with any stubbornness.

The obvious concern I have is that it appears English is seen as the number one ruck right now which leaves the forward line without Bruce far too Naughton centric. Ugle Hagen isn't a key forward and would be much better served with two talls down there with him. Martin spent time forward today which I would hope isn't going to be something used going forward, Schache seems to be viewed as a key defender at this stage and also is really a third tall forward, so it's hard to see a good tall setup happening for round one unless plans change significantly.

Keath coming in would potentially free up Schache up forward (Keath/Gardner/TOB down back) - but Schache isn’t a true KPP either.

I wouldn't read too much into English's ruck time - yet. Playing a 50 year old Martin in the ruck for anything more than 50% of game time in a practice game would be the dumbest decision imaginable.

With all respect mate, except for coming into a potential premiership year with no additional ruck depth after losing the year prior due a lack of ruck depth (as a major contributor)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Meanwhile other clubs like Geelong can pick up Ceglar for a packet of chips whom would have been perfect for the short term to keep English forward.

First 6 rounds of the 2021 season the Naughton, Bruce, English combo was the most in form tall forward trio in the comp. I have my concerns about whether we can get close to replicating that.

JUH didn’t have the influence we all hoped for. But it is the first practise match against opposition for the year. He’ll get plenty out of that. And I have no doubt he’ll have a good year.

Martin struggled at times but made a contest at least. Surely Sweet gets a crack from mid season onwards if he isn’t ready physically to start the season. Martin needs to be backup only.

Don’t know how Sweet went in the reserves but he kicked two goals so that’s a plus.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Be weird as he’s just been added to the leadership group. One of our best last year.

As one other poster stated, I don't think being in the leadership group makes Dureya immune to being replaced during the season.
If the reports about Ed Richards are correct I'd be more than happy for him to replace Taylor. Richards adds speed and with JJ looking to play forward we don't have any pace down back except for Dale. Keath, Gardner and Williams are not fast so we need to surround them with some quicks. I'd like to see this backline in action:

FB: Keath Gardner Richards
HB: Williams O'brien Dale
Int: Daniel

I think that combination can cover most bases in terms of pace, size, and marking power.

That was my take too. Marra won't be playing as a KPF for a few years and Hannan just isn't a KPF (he was the lone marking player at times in the 3rd quarter).
Bruce is likely to be back in July/August. English was reasonable forward as he splits the defenders well enough to give Naughton some one on one opportunities. A lot seems to rest on the shoulders of English & Sweet this year

As one other poster stated, I don't think being in the leadership group makes Dureya immune to being replaced during the season.
If the reports about Ed Richards are correct I'd be more than happy for him to replace Taylor. Richards adds speed and with JJ looking to play forward we don't have any pace down back except for Dale. Keath, Gardner and Williams are not fast so we need to surround them with some quicks. I'd like to see this backline in action:

FB: Keath Gardner Richards
HB: Williams O'brien Dale
Int: Daniel

I think that combination can cover most bases in terms of pace, size, and marking power.

That’s one defender that actually defend. Duryea still our best lock down small option. No way Daniel doesn’t start either

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

It didn't for Wally last year.
Ed Richards is still more of a rebounder this year and is probably competing for Bailey Williams' spot - nobody on our list can lockdown the way Duryea does (although VDM or Roarke may end up the dark horse in that regard). Bailey Dale looked really good as as much as I may have had my doubts about him replicating last year's form he seemed every bit as comfortable in the back half during the practice game.

Hannan looks more settled as well and JJ will be our best small/runningforward this year.

Keath coming in would potentially free up Schache up forward (Keath/Gardner/TOB down back) - but Schache isn’t a true KPP either.
He doesn't have to be a contested marking beast - if he draws a defender away from Naughton that's a decent enough job.

He doesn't have to be a contested marking beast - if he draws a defender away from Naughton that's a decent enough job.

He was much better in a one-on-one contest late last year, so I'm hopeful after another 6 months hard work, he'll be a handy improver this year.

That was my take too. Marra won't be playing as a KPF for a few years and Hannan just isn't a KPF (he was the lone marking player at times in the 3rd quarter).
Bruce is likely to be back in July/August. English was reasonable forward as he splits the defenders well enough to give Naughton some one on one opportunities. A lot seems to rest on the shoulders of English & Sweet this year
Remember that we were at least one KPD down; two if the thinking is to have O'Brien as a first choice defender. We have seen the likes of Cordy and Schache spend time forward of the ball in match sim/training. When the season starts I would not be at all surprised to see Keath/Gardner/O'Brien down back and three of Naughton/Schache/Cordy/English up forward.

Tim English looked better, much more willing to take front spot at boundary throw ins which is a sign of increased confidence around the ground.

So many times last year he would yield front position at boundary throw ins and make a weak attempt at an over the shoulder tap of the front spot ruck who would completely dominate him. Today he willingly took front spot and tapped it down more often than not.

He also looks far more solidly built. The guy has a weirdly long neck which distorts his body shape but he’s thicker this year and looks far stronger in his upper body. Wouldn’t surprise me if he was in that 110kg range now.

His around the ground marking was back to being really proficient which is a good sign of confidence too. Looking forward to what Tim can do for us.

Martin looked pretty terrible in all honesty. Would love to directly replace him with Sweet. No further comment on him as of yet other than to say he looked every bit of his age. Not a good sign.

So after half arsed watching a practice game I feel qualified to definitively state the following will have big years:

• the Bont (of course). He is a monster!
  • Naughty (as above)
  • Adz and Dunks
  • Ed Richards. Love the idea of Ed and Williams rebounding off half-back all year.
  • return of JJ
  • our wings will be a key positive this year

Remove this Banner Ad

Back