Fixture Changes Bulldogs v Bomberos

Remove this Banner Ad

After being so locked into a 2 tall backline for most of his coaching career I'm struggling to understand why Bev has done a u-turn on that this season and been so hellbent on playing 3 talls all the time. Might make sense if they were any good but apart from Jones they're all pretty average at best.

Baffling.

After being so locked into a 2 tall backline for most of his coaching career I'm struggling to understand why Bev has done a u-turn on that this season and been so hellbent on playing 3 talls all the time. Might make sense if they were any good but apart from Jones they're all pretty average at best.

Baffling.
8c6502d971cce34ad73f48695f6cbb3f

?

Baffling.

Well you need it when one goes down - like last week....

The fact that Cleary can’t get a game over Dureya is shocking. This team selection is actually so s**t. What’s the point of putting Garcia in for one week and then immediately dropping him for 10 games. I’m not his biggest fan but that’s literally the worst way to develop a players confidence. He’s done the same with West so often, glad to see Rhylee hold his spot over McComb and Co.

Disappointing to not see Buss or Gallagher - These are the sort of risks you need when the team is looking uninspired. Really not happy with this. Feel like we’re going to leave Buku out to dry in that no man’s lane position.

Deplorable that without Darcy in that Lobb still isn’t picked. He’s not the best but feel like he’s been really harshly rated by the fans. He does a job and provides a decent ruck while Tim rests.

I still think we win but my confidence in Bevo is at an all time low

How in the hell does Cleary replace Duryea?

And what is the "no mans lane (land?) position for Buku?

Seems to me if you want to make stuff up to complain about its pretty easy to do so.

If there was a debut this week we whould’ve already heard about it I’m guessing?

Sent from my iPhone using
Not an inspiring team selection, going for pretty much the same group who have shown time and again they cannot implement the game plan for long periods in a game, where the opponent scores, a bit more slowly granted, and we don't score.

Real oppuntunity to bring in some pace and skill with Gallagher and Cleary and possibly Buss, but go back to the same olds.

Good news is we are playing the Bombres so may only need to execute 60% of the time and possibly win

On SM-G996B using BigFooty.com mobile app
I can’t believe how much our supporters whinge, complain and bag our players. We are the worst without doubt. Worse than Carlton.
Buddy isn’t ready. Great ball user but at the moment can’t defend 1-1 with any strength and leg speed is a concern. Gallagher played a good game against a low vfl team. Give him time to build his confidence and knock the door down.
Cleary is stiff and so is Sweet.
I’m saying that Buku deserves his opportunity.
Bruce is growing in his defensive role and he also deserves a chance.
Back the players/coaches club. That’s what SUPPORTERS do.

How in the hell does Cleary replace Duryea?

And what is the "no mans lane (land?) position for Buku?

Seems to me if you want to make stuff up to complain about its pretty easy to do so.

1. Cleary replaces Dureya because he could do his job and is younger. Cleary is a Medium defender with a good kick on him - with an aging defence that is something is much needed now and in the future. I wouldn't have Cleary as the ideal replacement for Dureya but I would much prefer to develop Cleary than keep having to play Doc.

2. Sorry for the slight spelling error. No mans land is a position that is very prevalent in the Bevo system. Bevo plays too many talls and one of them has no set position which means they are either playing on the wing (Lobb) or wasted in the forward line (JoD debut). Instead of playing them in preferred positions he puts them wherever just to select them.

It's not making stuff up at all - it's things that Bevo has constantly done. He sticks with players who are clearly not at the required level for too long (McComb, Hannah, Dureya etc) and doesn't put players in their optimal positions (Smith, JJ up until this year, JoD, Daniel, the list goes on....)

Last edited:
Duryea still in lol

It’s staggering.
Really don’t get the bagging of Duryea. Fans are so bad for writing off players in that age bracket after a dip in form. He’s a senior player and he’s had the odd poor moment but he’s still easily best 22.

May not help my argument but I’m still a little sick how Crozier has been managed.

I think players who have shown consistency over 3 or 4 years deserve to be backed through a 5 game dip in form.

Last edited:
Really don’t get the bagging or Duryea. Fans are so bad for writing off players in that age bracket after a dip in form. He’s a senior player and he’s had the odd poor moment but he’s still easily best 22.

May not help my argument but I’m still a little sick how Crozier has been managed.

I think players who have shown consistency over 3 or 4 years deserve to be backed through a 5 game dip in form.

Dureya being easily Top 22 is a massive problem with this list. Same with Keath - we seriously need to revamp the defence if we want a shot a winning the premiership.

Really don’t get the bagging or Duryea. Fans are so bad for writing off players in that age bracket after a dip in form. He’s a senior player and he’s had the odd poor moment but he’s still easily best 22.

Doc has been on a pretty steep decline for 18 months though, and seems to be getting steeper. His last month has been horrendous and last week he was all time bad. I do love Doc he’s been one of my favs since we got him, such a great leader and whilst not blessed athletically he has been so so trustworthy, and i would love for him to turn it around but I’d be very surprised if this is just a dip in form. He’s treacle slow at this point, losing contests he’d usually win and constantly goes to ground now - he’s cooked Im afraid

Dureya being easily Top 22 is a massive problem with this list. Same with Keath - we seriously need to revamp the defence if we want a shot a winning the premiership.
Not wrong with the revamp but the current team Duryea despite his decline and the couple of shockers a game he still is able to command the defense with his experience and general defending ability. He'll be out likely once JJ comes back.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I've been a glass half empty kinda guy this season, but this board is becoming more negative than Jordan Peterson on a well earned mini break, only to discover his five star hotel is hosting a trans rights convention.

Duryea is this week's whipping boy & Cleary is our new saviour in the 2s. The first isnt so awful, nor the latter so great, to make much difference .

Team changes pass me by as it's the coaching and system that's the problem. Bruce and Buku are reasonable players. Duryea is good in patches. Cleary is Ok too. There's no disgrace in learning your craft in the VFL.

I've been a glass half empty kinda guy this season, but this board is becoming more negative than Jordan Peterson on a well earned mini break, only to discover his five star hotel is hosting a trans rights convention.

Duryea is this week's whipping boy & Cleary is our new saviour in the 2s. The first isnt so awful, nor the latter so great, to make much difference .

Team changes pass me by as it's the coaching and system that's the problem. Bruce and Buku are reasonable players. Duryea is good in patches. Cleary is Ok too. There's no disgrace in learning your craft in the VFL.

No one is saying that Cleary is a saviour at all. However, this has been a problem throughout Bevo's tenure. He stuck with McComb and Hannah last season far more than he should have instead of giving West, Garcia etc a game. If you aren't getting output from your older players why not give the youth a chance and develop their game a bit more in the AFL. Doc has been cooked the whole season and the last couple of weeks he has played pretty poorly.

Cleary is a medium sized defender a position that the Bulldogs vitally need. He might never been a great player but give him the chance and he could become serviceable and improve the talent we have in the bottom end of our roster. He'll never develop in the AFL if he never gets a chance, and replacing a declining Dureya who has been subpar the whole season is a good reason to give him a game in the 1s.

Last edited:

Duryea has in the last 3 weeks given up 4 goals to Walters/Elliott/Papley whilst also slowing down attacks with his poor kicking dropping chest marks and in one of the games running 20m without bouncing,

Doc has been an astounding pick up and was our best lockdown defender since Morris for a while there but its clear as day to see that he just isn't good anymore and he isn't the whipping boy at all he's just making far to many mistakes with little positives to ignore it especially with Cleary continuing to do so well in the 2s

Duryea has in the last 3 weeks given up 4 goals to Walters/Elliott/Papley whilst also slowing down attacks with his poor kicking dropping chest marks and in one of the games running 20m without bouncing,
I just watched all four of Papley's goals in the highlights and Duryea had nothing to do with any of them. Just saying stuff doesn't make it true.

I just watched all four of Papley's goals in the highlights and Duryea had nothing to do with any of them. Just saying stuff doesn't make it true.
I’ll take your word for it I’ve erased a lot of the last two games from my memory, but he’s still in the team to lockdown on the oppositions best small forward - otherwise he doesn’t offer much else at the moment, so whether he was directly involved or not 12 goals from the oppositions best small forward in the last 3 weeks isn’t good enough.

Either he’s not being trusted defensively on the best small, or he’s getting beaten either way what else is he offering if he can’t do that? He had zero touches in the last qtr last week, I’m not sure if he even stepped foot on the ground? How can that be beneficial for us

I can’t believe how much our supporters whinge, complain and bag our players. We are the worst without doubt. Worse than Carlton.
Buddy isn’t ready. Great ball user but at the moment can’t defend 1-1 with any strength and leg speed is a concern. Gallagher played a good game against a low vfl team. Give him time to build his confidence and knock the door down.
Cleary is stiff and so is Sweet.
I’m saying that Buku deserves his opportunity.
Bruce is growing in his defensive role and he also deserves a chance.
Back the players/coaches club. That’s what SUPPORTERS do.
So you have quoted 2 posts, mine included, where there was not a solitary player bagged just a comment on missed opportunities for selection this week going in with a team structure that has not been able to execute the game plan consistently since 2019. You do realise this is a forum, not a Yaaaaa for everything Bulldogs board where there is robust discussion that as long as there are not personal attacks on players, coaches and others involved at the club concerns can be raised.

Now to the points you appear to have raised. Buss (I gather that is Buddy) has played more football than the one he is replacing in JOD who also needs to build his strength 1 on 1.

Gallagher has played 3 very good games in a row and is a step up already on Mc Neil

I can't understand posters getting their nickers in a not over the Duryea conversation. One of our best mature aged recruits, however as has been rightly pointed out is struggling this year with age and the last 3 weeks his opponents have kicked 4 goals each, he is also making simple mistakes such as dropping chest marks and poor disposal and decision making that he did not in the past. Cleary plays a similar role, has been amongst the best in the VFl for a while, can mark is quicker with good skills as we are coming up against a quick forward line.

The only thing Sweet is unlucky with is the only role he can play is as a ruck and you do not move one of the best 3 ruckman to accommodate a back up ruckman as Melbourne have worked out and their back up ruckman was once an all Australian.

I am happy for Buku but we have enough trouble keeping Naughts and Jammara apart in the forward line. Not sure how he will fit in with our forward structure.

Players do not deserve a chance they earn a chance and are selected on a body of work, or that is how it should be. To bring Bruce in whilst having Keath and Gards and other key backs against a mobile forward line, well we say how that worked against Port Adelaide.

In order to execute our game plan for more than 80% of the game, which is required to beat the better teams we need an injection of pace and skill, things that Gallagher, Buss and Cleary all have. We are playing a middle of the road team so should be able to still win, but if you don't think supporters, members, coterie members and sponsors have a right to make comments when there is a body of work going back to 2019 to show what we are doing will only scrape us into the finals and you say they are not true supporters, I do not know what to say about that.

The fact that Cleary can’t get a game over Dureya is shocking. This team selection is actually so s**t. What’s the point of putting Garcia in for one week and then immediately dropping him for 10 games. I’m not his biggest fan but that’s literally the worst way to develop a players confidence. He’s done the same with West so often, glad to see Rhylee hold his spot over McComb and Co.

Disappointing to not see Buss or Gallagher - These are the sort of risks you need when the team is looking uninspired. Really not happy with this. Feel like we’re going to leave Buku out to dry in that no man’s lane position.

Deplorable that without Darcy in that Lobb still isn’t picked. He’s not the best but feel like he’s been really harshly rated by the fans. He does a job and provides a decent ruck while Tim rests.

I still think we win but my confidence in Bevo is at an all time low
I’m a Cleary fan but he’s not really a Duryea type.

Okay the first one Doc has clearly pushed high up and left Dale on Papley do you seriously think that would be the required matchup?

2nd one was high up the ground camera angles don't show who was on him however given no one outside of McDonald were inside 50 you'd think he would be the one supposed to be on him

Was on Heeney for his goal early in the 3rd when Papley started on ball

3rd sure wasn't on him 4th was from him dropping a chest mark on the wing

Give him Heeneys then as the 4th either way he has been woefully out of form

Remove this Banner Ad

Back