PS5 Horizon: Forbidden West

Remove this Banner Ad

absoultely loving it so far.
finally got into my first cauldron. after discovering another one that was 6 or so levels XP above where i was at the time.
just loving exploring. finding random sh*t.
making my way through the main quests now though.

p.s this game has been so much fun i didnt even know GT 7 had released! lol
I'd suggest turning off Machine locations in the map. It's something I wish I did as it'd make exploring more interesting, walking into an area not knowing which big * off machine (If any) will be there.

finished the Gemini story mission.
They did my man Varl dirty, first Aloy shamed him into shaving the beard he was rocking, then they kill him.
Still dont trust Tilda, dont care if she "Saved" me. Im guessing the deal Aloy plans to make with Sylens to get his weapon and walk away from Regalla and her army will be for Apollo since he always wants more knowledge.

i got the platinum. but still have a bunch of stuff to do.

I love the Sun Scourge bow that you get for doing all the bandit camps. but man its going to be some hunting to upgrade it to the final level.

Loved every min of it 87hrs so far. I wonder if the reveal
of Nemesis will be Horizon 3 or DLC for this one. Also love that Hephestis was set free again so there will still be new machines and cauldrons. and glad that Sylens didnt fly away.
As i said in the Gemini mission, I dont trust Tilda. expected that to happen

i got the platinum. but still have a bunch of stuff to do.

I love the Sun Scourge bow that you get for doing all the bandit camps. but man its going to be some hunting to upgrade it to the final level.

Loved every min of it 87hrs so far. I wonder if the reveal
of Nemesis will be Horizon 3 or DLC for this one. Also love that Hephestis was set free again so there will still be new machines and cauldrons. and glad that Sylens didnt fly away.
As i said in the Gemini mission, I dont trust Tilda. expected that to happen
I'm running around now trying to upgrade my legendary armour, blast sling and sun scourge bow. The requirements are ridiculous. You end up needing to beat about 10-15 Heavy Machines for each item. So that's roughly 45 Heavies to upgrade all 3 items. Crazy tedious.

I'm running around now trying to upgrade my legendary armour, blast sling and sun scourge bow. The requirements are ridiculous. You end up needing to beat about 10-15 Heavy Machines for each item. So that's roughly 45 Heavies to upgrade all 3 items. Crazy tedious.
and need to find apex versions of some. Havent bothered with the sling. I wish now you could keep the stuff you pick up in the arena after seeing the items needed to upgrade some things.

I sunk 5 hours into this last night and didn't get bored once. Did some side quests, cauldrons, upgrading, main quest and the time just flies by. This is going to be tough to beat for Game of the Year.

I sunk 5 hours into this last night and didn't get bored once. Did some side quests, cauldrons, upgrading, main quest and the time just flies by. This is going to be tough to beat for Game of the Year.
Elden Ring will probably win due to the same reason BotW beat Zero Dawn. Fanboyism. Haven't played ER, so can't say if it actually is better or worse but it just has that kind of following. Same as BotW did. Zero Dawn was comfortably better than BotW, I really feel it was robbed for GotY and Forbidden West is a better more well rounded game than Zero Dawn.

Deathly What would be your vote out of interest? (As someone who's played a fair bit of both)

It's just subjective after all but from what I've played of this I'd have Elden Ring over this every day of the week. To me this is just another typical open world game in a slightly prettier wrapper. Not once in my 20 odd hours so far have I done anything that I don't think I've done in any other open world game before and I'm already getting bored. Once I got over the first couple hours of hype at the massive world and impressive machine detail and animations (they were great in the first game as well) everything just started feeling like a chore. Open world games have always been my jam but the last few years I've just been getting really tired of them, they're all the same. Unfortunately I've had to start re-evaluating the kinds of games I want to play. This is imo stark contrast to Elden Ring. It's an almost entirely unique take on open world. Players will be going back to Elden Ring for years just like they've done with previous From games.

Come at me
Takes cover

Elden Ring will probably win due to the same reason BotW beat Zero Dawn. Fanboyism. Haven't played ER, so can't say if it actually is better or worse but it just has that kind of following. Same as BotW did. Zero Dawn was comfortably better than BotW, I really feel it was robbed for GotY and Forbidden West is a better more well rounded game than Zero Dawn.

Deathly What would be your vote out of interest? (As someone who's played a fair bit of both)

Yeah I have the platinum on both games and similar hours on each.

I think from a design and technical stand-point, HFW is a much better made game and is next-gen. HFW improved on nearly everything HDZ did (which I wasn't the biggest fan of mind you) so I think that deserves a lot of credit. ER is good, but it's not a next-gen game, it has a lot of design flaws for an open world game and it doesn't beat out a Bloodborne or a Dark Souls 1 in any key areas. The one thing that gives ER any identity from the other Soulsborne games (which is my biggest disappointment) is it's combat, which is the most versatile ever and is as responsive as Sekiro was, that's why it's fun to play and I'm on NG++.

But that being said every GOTY candidate is losing to Ragnarok anyways so it doesn't matter what I think of them. :p

It's just subjective after all but from what I've played of this I'd have Elden Ring over this every day of the week. To me this is just another typical open world game in a slightly prettier wrapper. Not once in my 20 odd hours so far have I done anything that I don't think I've done in any other open world game before and I'm already getting bored. Once I got over the first couple hours of hype at the massive world and impressive machine detail and animations (they were great in the first game as well) everything just started feeling like a chore. Open world games have always been my jam but the last few years I've just been getting really tired of them, they're all the same. Unfortunately I've had to start re-evaluating the kinds of games I want to play. This is imo stark contrast to Elden Ring. It's an almost entirely unique take on open world. Players will be going back to Elden Ring for years just like they've done with previous From games.

Come at me
Takes cover
Yeh, see, this is the kind of bullshit I expected from an Elden Ring fanboy. It was the same crap that was written about Zero Dawn from BotW fanboys.

"Just another ubisoft open world game"
"Feels like a chore"
"It's nothing new"

Sorry, but these arguments just don't hold up. I'm happy to listen to genuine comparisons, but don't knock this with BS claims.

Yeah I have the platinum on both games and similar hours on each.

I think from a design and technical stand-point, HFW is a much better made game and is next-gen. HFW improved on nearly everything HDZ did (which I wasn't the biggest fan of mind you) so I think that deserves a lot of credit. ER is good, but it's not a next-gen game, it has a lot of design flaws for an open world game and it doesn't beat out a Bloodborne or a Dark Souls 1 in any key areas. The one thing that gives ER any identity from the other Soulsborne games (which is my biggest disappointment) is it's combat, which is the most versatile ever and is as responsive as Sekiro was, that's why it's fun to play and I'm on NG++.

But that being said every GOTY candidate is losing to Ragnarok anyways so it doesn't matter what I think of them. :p
Ragnarok could well top both!

Yeh, see, this is the kind of bullshit I expected from an Elden Ring fanboy. It was the same crap that was written about Zero Dawn from BotW fanboys.

"Just another ubisoft open world game"
"Feels like a chore"
"It's nothing new"

Sorry, but these arguments just don't hold up. I'm happy to listen to genuine comparisons, but don't knock this with BS claims.

Ragnarok could well top both!

I win because I prefaced it as subjective, used IMO and still managed to get a nibble on the fishing line.

FYI I'm far from a fanboy. I haven't finished every From game, haven't finished either Forbidden West or Elden Ring because I'm spending too much time in Destiny WQ. Have put in equal hours to both games though. If it's your GOTY then that's cool, you do you.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I win because I prefaced it as subjective, used IMO and still managed to get a nibble on the fishing line.
Subjectively in my opinion (IMO) you are a fanboi......
Kenan Thompson Reaction GIF by Saturday Night Live

Hey, don't go asking for opinions then calling the ones you don't like sh*t or fanboy. That's the exact behaviour of a fanboy. Thought a bit more of you previously actually.
Actually, I only asked for Deathly's opinion. Others are welcome if reasonable, but you've just come in here and shat on this and made ridiculous comments. I expected more from you.

I haven't knocked Elden Ring in the slightest. I've been upfront and said I haven't played it and can't compare. A fanboy knocks other games to make out like their preferred game is significantly better.

It's a public forum, take it to PM if you just want one user's opinion. Don't get sensitive if it's not what you wanted to read.

Imagine comparing games makes you a fanboy. fu** me dead. I've heard it all here now.

You did ask for people to "come at you".

Now lets all kiss.

It's a public forum, take it to PM if you just want one user's opinion. Don't get sensitive if it's not what you wanted to read.

Imagine comparing games makes you a fanboy. fu** me dead. I've heard it all here now.
Come on man, it was a drive by and you knew it. You're in a thread where people are really loving this game and you comment how it's boring and a chore and how ER is sooo much better. How do expect that's going to go down? I'm happy to listen to opinions and I'm even more than happy to hear yours, but those arguments are typically what you read from ER fanboys on youtube and other forums. My calling you a fanboy was mostly tongue in cheek, but you "got sensitive" and went the man with the "I thought a bit more of you" comment.

Both games are rightly in contention for GotY, naturally people are going to prefer one over the other.

Come on man, it was a drive by and you knew it. You're in a thread where people are really loving this game and you comment how it's boring and a chore and how ER is sooo much better. How do expect that's going to go down? I'm happy to listen to opinions and I'm even more than happy to hear yours, but those arguments are typically what you read from ER fanboys on youtube and other forums. My calling you a fanboy was mostly tongue in cheek, but you "got sensitive" and went the man with the "I thought a bit more of you" comment.

Both games are rightly in contention for GotY, naturally people are going to prefer one over the other.

Don't try backing over it now, own it. Calling somebody else's opinion bullshit isn't tongue in cheek. I praised everything technical about the game, but in my opinion it's no different from any other generic open world game which is a genre I'm burnt out on. You're also the one that took a jab at fanboys for prefering Sekiro over BotW. I never played BotW so can't speak for it, but said why I think From Software games have more longevity and generally rate better. That everyone is praising the game is the very reason I never posted my opinions sooner, not even after my first 25 hours with the game, not until you sought after comparison opinions. I don't go out of my way to try and be an edge lord. In my years on this board I've never been called a fanboy. I'm the furtherest thing from a From Software fanboy, I'm too s**t to be able to even finish all of them (never even got past the boss in the burning village area in Sekiro). I've made plenty of nuffy calls which I happily own up to because I have never seen an issue with admitting I'm wrong on something, but if someone is going to call my opinion bullshit and a fanboy then I'm going to take them to task over it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back