$789 per Australian per Year to Subsidise Fossil Fuels

Remove this Banner Ad

May 13, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Australian tax payers pay $789 each - EACH - per year directly to fossil fuel companies.

Imagine being asked to write a cheque every single year to Santos or Origin or Chevron for $789 - every single year. That is what you do :oops:

This is 100% state capture.

How could any free market liberal defend this?

Why do Australians vote for this?

Australian tax payers pay $789 each - EACH - per year directly to fossil fuel companies.

Imagine being asked to write a cheque every single year to Santos or Origin or Chevron for $789 - every single year. That is what you do :oops:

"Maths" Zail, we say maths in Australia.

Whilst i strongly disagree with fossil fuel subsidies. Those subsidies are made to lower household energy prices for non tax payers like pensioners and the unemployed and to help energy consuming manufacturers so they can compete with foreign companies who also receive subsidised energy prices. They are there to benefit these groups. At least thats theory.

now i need to reiterate Im strongly against these subsidies. Just like im against the recent tax rebate for oil prices.

Whilst i strongly disagree with fossil fuel subsidies. Those subsidies are made to lower household energy prices for non tax payers like pensioners and the unemployed and to help energy consuming manufacturers so they can compete with foreign companies who also receive subsidised energy prices. They are there to benefit these groups. At least thats theory.

now i need to reiterate Im strongly against these subsidies. Just like im against the recent tax rebate for oil prices.
Lower our household prices or Japan's?

is this the diesel fuel rebate and now the fuel tax reduction?

oh dear

I just looked it up and they are taking headline numbers as the subsidy rather than the actual cost. ie $2.8B in gas forward purchases...............this is not a subsidy but rather off take.

who believes this type of report has credibility?

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I dont see many australians complaining about the recent petrol tax rebate. That rebate is using tax payers money to encourage fossil fuel use.
Government policy is encouraging fossil fuel use ….
If there were other options … ie an EV industry then maybe and reduction in fuel tax wouldn’t Even be needed.

Some countries you won’t be able to buy a petrol car in 2025 …. What are we at 2% …. Fantastic, well done angus.

If there were other options … ie an EV industry then maybe and reduction in fuel tax wouldn’t Even be needed.

Some countries you won’t be able to buy a petrol car in 2025 …. What are we at 2% …. Fantastic, well done angus.

Yeh, but do those countries still have weekends?

The cost of 'catching up' will become devastating in the long term, as non-EV cars increase in price and become harder to source, and we are required to invest in charging infrastructure. But that's ok... our current crop of politicians will be long gone, so it's not like they have to deal with the issue.

Yer didn’t want to add that Norways average working week is 33 hours and is moving towards 3 day weekends…. It might give his ideology about productivity a heart attack.
I would rather keep the 5 day work week and have 6 weeks extra annual leave personally. These 4 day work week types never consider that people may not want 4 day work weeks. They want more leave.

I would rather keep the 5 day work week and have 6 weeks extra annual leave personally. These 4 day work week types never consider that people may not want 4 day work weeks. They want more leave.

Most Awards in Norway have 5 weeks annual leave ….
Why do people keep voting LNP?

IPCC can't make it any clearer, this needs to stop now.
If the IPCC want to make it clear they actually have to bother to do a cost benefit analysis. They refuse to. Im all for going to net zero based on my own and others cost benefit analysis but the IPCC has not bothered to do an actual cost benefit analysis themselves and show us what we save from going to net zero.

Even if you ignore that, you clearly have not read an IPCC report. It is the most poorly written report imaginable. Just utterly terrible in its lack of clarity.

If the IPCC want to make it clear they actually have to bother to do a cost benefit analysis. They refuse to. Im all for going to net zero based on my own and others cost benefit analysis but the IPCC has not bothered to do an actual cost benefit analysis themselves and show us what we save from going to net zero.

Even if you ignore that, you clearly have not read an IPCC report. It is the most poorly written report imaginable. Just utterly terrible in its lack of clarity.
Help me then, who should I be reading regarding this sort of thing?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back