Preview Round 5, 2022: Hawks v Cats, Easter Monday.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm absolutely spewing Day misses again not long after returning. I hope Round 6 onwards he strings a bunch of games together.

Day's getting targeted or tested becasue he's a super valuable player for us, and teams have worked out you can get him off injured because of his physical makeup.

The club needs to work out how to help him get past this stage of his career.

Day's career isn't exactly at stake, but something needs to be done for both his and the team's sake.

moving eric cartman GIF by South Park

Outs: Day, Worpel, Howe
Ins: Lynch (or Callow), Long and Phillips/Shiels

Even though he looked tired, I’d like Ward to get another week with CMac as sub. One of Phillips or Shiels and Long to add endurance and toughness. Long, Ward and DGB get invaluable experience in a big game.

Dimma Frost DGB
CJ Sicily Scrim
Morrison Newk Phillips/Shiels
Bruest Gunston Long
Moore Lewis Lynch
Reeves Nash Mitchell
Jaeger Ward Impey Finn
Sub: CMac (managed)

Not sure both Howe and Worpel out, but probably time for one of them. Worpel needs to step up or step out Box Hill. Howe has looked slow to react, given what the game plan looks like, but he is a big body and just back in.

I want to see Callow in the team. We need a big marking option in the forward line, when they just bomb it in. He has the best hands at Hawthorn.

I can’t help but think that the only time Howe showed really solid form was when his future at the club was on the line. Now he’s gone back to the same old Howe…
100% correct

Back to being way too slow, and predictable enough the oppo sees his next kick from miles away.

I want to see Callow in the team. We need a big marking option in the forward line, when they just bomb it in. He has the best hands at Hawthorn.
Big call. Mitch Lewis leading the comp for contested marks and and just got nominated for mark of the year.

Day's getting targeted or tested becasue he's a super valuable player for us, and teams have worked out you can get him off injured because of his physical makeup.

Day's career isn't exactly at stake, but something needs to be done for both his and the team's sake.

Would like to see day on the wing it suits his build and wont have to worry about 2 or 3 big forwards crashing into him when he takes marks.

Not sure both Howe and Worpel out, but probably time for one of them. Worpel needs to step up or step out Box Hill. Howe has looked slow to react, given what the game plan looks like, but he is a big body and just back in.

Worpel needs to go back to box hill and learn how to hunt the footy again at least Long can provide some grunt and possibly create a mismatch going fwd he is taller than gunston. Some people think 15 touches is not enough to crack in the seniors but are happy to keep worpel who had 5?

Think About It Reaction GIF by Big Potato Games

:thumbsu:

Mitch is doing well, but i reckon he's behind Callow in the marking ability. Albeit that Callow has yet to do it on the big stage, but hopefully we'll get to compare the two soon :)
Callow only took 4 marks on the weekend. The week prior he took zero.

There was some vision on 7 today from our training run. There was a real focus on tackling and contested work. Newcombe went off with blood flowing freely from a facial injury. Jaeger was in the recovery group. Sam was fired up and let them all know everyone was watching. Monkey was wrestling the players on his knees. It was like a throwback to Kennedy’s Commandos.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There was some vision on 7 today from our training run. There was a real focus on tackling and contested work. Newcombe went off with blood flowing freely from a facial injury. Jaeger was in the recovery group. Sam was fired up and let them all know everyone was watching. Monkey was wrestling the players on his knees. It was like a throwback to Kennedy’s Commandos.

That's awesome. Want to see some fire this Monday.

Lynch is a test for this week. Just had to get through some full contact training tomorrow.

Bramble a week away. Good news.

Out - three slow, average mids (Worpel, Howe, Finn) plus Day
In - two slightly better mids - Sheils & Phillips plus a big man - Lynch (if fit or Kosi or Jeka).
Either Howe or Finn come back in as the sub.
Finn (slow). Two words you never put together Walshawk.

Callow only took 4 marks on the weekend. The week prior he took zero.
-We need another target take your pick who that is, Gunston is not a second tall and never has been.
-Lewis development has been a steady incline and his projecting nicely. I think his even more valuable up around the ground.

There is not one player over 6'2 leading up to the half back flanks or used as long kick out option down the line. Teams will now sit off in the corridor (saints) and pick off our plays if we continue to always go to the same spot. Going thru the corridor is great, I love that game style but it's far to predictable and easy to read when it's your only option that you can take majority of the time.
The corridor will become a even greater asset when you find the balance in the line up to be able to mix up the direction of your ball use and execute it properly.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back