Preview Round 5, 2022: Hawks v Cats, Easter Monday.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
-We need another target, take your pick who that is, Gunston is not a second tall and never has been.
-Lewis development has been a steady incline and his projecting nicely. I think his even more valuable up around the ground.

There is not one player over 6'2 leading up to the half back flanks or used as long kick out option down the line. Teams will now sit off in the corridor (saints) and pick off our plays if we continue to always go to the same spot. Going thru the corridor is great, I love that game style but it's far to predictable and easy to read when it's your only option that you can take majority of the time.
The corridor will become a even greater asset when you find the balance in the line up to be able to mix up the direction of your ball use and execute it properly.
Totally agree. Lynch will come in as that extra tall option down the line for us.

There was some vision on 7 today from our training run. There was a real focus on tackling and contested work. Newcombe went off with blood flowing freely from a facial injury. Jaeger was in the recovery group. Sam was fired up and let them all know everyone was watching. Monkey was wrestling the players on his knees. It was like a throwback to Kennedy’s Commandos.
We love this

Sure he has endurance but slow off the mark. Or just slow of mind?
Literally wrong in any way you put it physically.

He's not slow in anyway. He'd be one of the quickest on our list, he's got the best endurance and the best gut running.

Have you seen anything in an actual game to suggest that he is quick? Looks mid paced to me.
Yes, look at the GPS numbers.

His top speed is almost 40km/hr which is absolutely lightning (off field) and most weeks he's leading in the sprinting efforts, top speed in offense and defense while being top of the most ran.

Yes, look at the GPS numbers.

His top speed is almost 40km/hr which is absolutely lightning (off field) and most weeks he's leading in the sprinting efforts, top speed in offense and defense while being top of the most ran.
I mean with your eyes. You can tell me that Tom O’BRIEN can benchpress 300kg. But if he doesn’t play that was, what is the point?

I mean with your eyes. You can tell me that Tom O’BRIEN can benchpress 300kg. But if he doesn’t play that was, what is the point?
With my eyes i see alot of his speed across the ground, maybe cause i watch closer.

Alot of his disposals aren't leading to this type of run because he usally doesn't have the space to, unlike someone like CJ, Impey, Bramble. Not that i am saying he's as quick as Bramble or CJ, but he's ******* quick.

Have you seen anything in an actual game to suggest that he is quick? Looks mid paced to me.
I think it is ok one he gets going but doesn't have that burst speed to get away to start with. Jiath is a bit similar in that his first few steps aren't really quick but he is quick once he gets going.

I think it is ok one he gets going but doesn't have that burst speed to get away to start with. Jiath is a bit similar in that his first few steps aren't really quick but he is quick once he gets going.
No, the thing that makes Finn so quick is his explosiveness. He worked on it all pre season with the speedproject. Jiath is lightning early anyway cause he's just quick.

Think About It Reaction GIF by Big Potato Games
Clever.

I'm not sure it will work, but maybe you could make the suggestion to the club?

Last edited:
Cats would prefer Sicily up forward for us.
We will need him down back at his best.

I would give DGB first go at Cameron , Frost can go to him as a back up .
Will Hartigan be fit , he is a good logical match for Hawkins.
I would prefer Hartigan for this match too. He is the best match for Hawkins.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's an interesting solution.

In all seriousness people still really don' quitet seem to understand what you can do with a really good movement coach and a phsyio/strength program.

I'm sure the club has worked with him a lot, but sometimes they need to look outside the box - like Hodgey did when he was cooked in 20212.

That was a very different situation, but he hanged his career and kept himself going for a few more years.

Last edited:
Horrible week for matchups. Mitchell to give the same blokes a chance at redemption. He put it to them at training and review and I reckon he wants to see who responds.

Lynch in for Day.

Sicily to hawkins.
Frost to Cameron.
DGB to play 3rd tall.

Jiath to have no respect for his immediate opponent and 3rd man up all day.

We could get punished here

Horrible week for matchups. Mitchell to give the same blokes a chance at redemption. He put it to them at training and review and I reckon he wants to see who responds.

Lynch in for Day.

Sicily to hawkins.
Frost to Cameron.
DGB to play 3rd tall.

Jiath to have no respect for his immediate opponent and 3rd man up all day.

We could get punished here
I lost braincells when you said Sic to Hawkins..

Should we be worried?
Yes, Sicily isn't ever going to Hawkins unless we have Frost, DGB, Hartigan and Kossie/Callow injured (who are better suited to going down back then Sic to Hawkins) Sic would get monstered i'd suspect.

Frost on Hawkins
DGB on Cameron (Sic too)
Sic 3rd tall.

I can’t help but think that the only time Howe showed really solid form was when his future at the club was on the line. Now he’s gone back to the same old Howe…
I think Howe showed good form last year when he was playing in defence. I think his best attributes are suited to that role. As we know, he doesn't fit in there now with our plethora of half-back flankers, and he doesn't seem to play the wing position as effectively. Maybe it's just a case of being squeezed out of his best position.
He's versatile and can even play forward, but I doubt there's a spot for him there too. I like Howe, but I just don't know where he could play right now...

I think Lynch and Shiels get a call up, with Day and Howe? making way. Finn the sub again. Worpel keeps his spot but realises he's on thin ice.
I'd like Hartigan to be recalled if uninjured, as Tom & Jerry will absolutely slaughter us. We don't have one monster defender let alone two!
Not to assume Hartigan will beat one of them, but we need his big body to throw around and keep one of their monster forwards honest.
We have one monster but not sure he is in good enough form to warrant selection. I think we will go the extra ruck who will drop back to support Frost and DGB. Frost is actually perfectly suited for Cameron. Tall athletic has pace etc. It's Hawkins im very concerned about.

Yes, Sicily isn't ever going to Hawkins unless we have Frost, DGB, Hartigan and Kossie/Callow injured (who are better suited to going down back then Sic to Hawkins) Sic would get monstered i'd suspect.

Frost on Hawkins
DGB on Cameron (Sic too)
Sic 3rd tall.
Frost is stronger than he looks but Hawkins is another level above that. The only guy we have ever had recently that's held his own against him physically is Lake. Used to be quite comfortable for those years we had him knowing we had every type of forward pretty much covered.

Reasonable chance Sam backs in team and especially worpel, JOM, howe etc to respond.

Is lynch an automatic in? Outside being a ruck is he any good? Or do we stick with Nash as a 2nd ruck and go with a tall in Jeka/Kosi or simply replace day with a runner in shiels/Phillips?

Hard to see any of our young players coming in but big positives for both Butler and Serong

Reasonable chance Sam backs in team and especially worpel, JOM, howe etc to respond.

Is lynch an automatic in? Outside being a ruck is he any good? Or do we stick with Nash as a 2nd ruck and go with a tall in Jeka/Kosi or simply replace day with a runner in shiels/Phillips?
Hell no

Lynch automatic in

I reckon a big statement will be made Worpel/Howe

Need nash as a mid, not a ruck

I don't think Howe is a form thing. He's just not a good fit anymore.

He suited the slow, take no risks gamestyle Clarko had us playing the past few years. He simply doesn't suit the style Sam want's to play. He's too slow a decision maker with ball in hand, isn't going to break lines and isn't a good enough kick to go quickly.

Maginness seems to be the new whipping boy, and his kicking is a long way off, but to me he reflects more where Sam wants to head given his running power is a real asset. He has one elite attribute.

I expected Harry would have had the same problem as Howe this year, but he's been really good.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back