Movie The Matrix Resurrections

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeh that’s not retconning dude, the whole universe is fake, can’t really retcon stuff that argurably never existed.

Feels like lazy criticism. You’re entitled to not like it and critique it however you like just as im entitled to critique your critique, hasn’t rubbed me the wrong way at all just seems flawed and presumptuous.

They wiped the slate clean, and deviated from the source material they took three movies setting up. No matter the movie, or the universe within it, that method in itself in writing terms is called retconning. Terminator - a franchise I am a massive fan of - tried to do the same thing craftily "because time travel", but fell flat.

Ah nice. We can add "lazy" to my "weird", "strange" opinion on the movie. Loaded language despite not being "rubbed the wrong way". I guess one could say this laziness is on par with their writing such as a throwaway plotpoint 95% of the way into the film that Trinity somehow gained powers, without any explanation as to how or why, just because. Venturing onto Reddit, it looks like I am not alone with this thought. 🤷‍♂️

Personally, I just hope they don't continue the franchise and run it further into the ground and perhaps being $40m below budget at the box office will fortunately force their hand. The fact Warner Bros tried to be meta and poked fun at themselves, pre-empting criticism of them using this entry as a cash grab is at least something they were on the mark with. I am on board with reviving franchises if the story warrants it, but this wasn't it for me unfortunately. :thumbsu:

Last edited:

Watched this over the weekend. Went in with very low expectations and it still disappointed. Really should've just left the trilogy alone.
I mean, realistically, they should have just left the first film alone. It's a stone cold classic. I found Resurrections about as enjoyable as Reloaded and Revolutions but without the disappointment I felt in those two. Whatever you say about it, it's Wachowski's story and she does it her way, no compromises. I respect that.

I mean, realistically, they should have just left the first film alone. It's a stone cold classic. I found Resurrections about as enjoyable as Reloaded and Revolutions but without the disappointment I felt in those two. Whatever you say about it, it's Wachowski's story and she does it her way, no compromises. I respect that.
I always thought Reloaded was a long way better than Revolutions (and certainly better that Resurrections). Seems to be an unpopular opinion though.

I always thought Reloaded was a long way better than Revolutions (and certainly better that Resurrections). Seems to be an unpopular opinion though.
Im in the distinct minority of thinking Resurrections wasnt bad (it wasnt great by any stretch) but i also rate Reloaded way higher than Revolutions.

At the very least Reloaded was a pretty cracking action film, the freeway chase is all time.

Im in the distinct minority of thinking Resurrections wasnt bad (it wasnt great by any stretch) but i also rate Reloaded way higher than Revolutions.

At the very least Reloaded was a pretty cracking action film, the freeway chase is all time.
Yeah that freeway chase was insanely good imo. Certainly not up there with the original of course but it's always seemed to cop a battering when discussed.

Yeah that freeway chase was insanely good imo. Certainly not up there with the original of course but it's always seemed to cop a battering when discussed.
I think alot of people thought Reloaded was a big dumb action movie that butchered the philosophy of the original (and to a degree i think thats fair) and then some think Revolutions went lighter on the action to explore the philosophy more (which i think is ridiculous).

The original balanced the two things so well and the next two had their focus (Reloaded action and Revolutions dialogue) so its probably natural to fall into one of those two camps.

I actually think Revolutions is by far the weakest entry in the series.

This is me, too. Resurrections was fine, rewatching Reloaded before it reminded me it was much better than Revolutions. But both were so disappointing given the quality of the first film and the hype surrounding them. It just didn't have the balance of the first film.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back