Proposed new Darwin stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Eighteen Seventy

Senior List
Apr 4, 2021
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
DARWIN’S new $300 million sporting stadium has moved a step closer to reality with updated designs for the ambitious project being released to the public this week.
Project co-ordinator and AFLNT chairman Sean Bowden is working with a range of top level architects, structural engineers and designers to put plans in place for the 25,000-seat covered stadium in Darwin’s CBD to be up and running inside a decade.

d9462325db383220a2436550c31df9a0

ae7f19f3a8c50506cfa0949a726ee801

cbcb802380504158dd6917cf5e52b8e6

Not worth it for just 1 game a year. Maybe could help them with an expansion team. Add Tasmania Devils (7 games Hobart, 4 Launceston) and the Northern Crocodiles (7 games Darwin, 4 in Cairns)

Option 1 looks mint but building this type of stadium for cyclonic conditions would put the costs through the roof ... literally!

Building anything in the North of Australia has to be massively over engineered to cater for the weather up there.

Considering option 2 looks like someone's tried to set a tent up over the stadium but half of it was missing, option 1 it is.

Hard to justify a new stadium with no full time Team.

Wonder if it would be better investing in a world class indoor entertainment centre and try to attract events in a comfortable air con environment.

Probably like the stadium in Perth, 22 AFL games alone do not make it viable.
Tourism is a good excuse ...
Well they spent $250 million to build a 25,000 capacity rugby only stadium in Townsville for 11 rugby games per year. I think that it has been used for one State of Origin, a boxing bout and a concert in addition to the 11 games per season since being opened. It probably makes better sense to spend money developing cricket grounds because at least they do get used all year round. I think that in Townsville's case it possibly might have made better sense to re-develop the Riverway's Stadium as a 20,000 capacity cricket ground that could have been used for the trifecta of T20 Cricket, a couple of AFL games per season and NRL.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well they spent $250 million to build a 25,000 capacity rugby only stadium in Townsville for 11 rugby games per year. I think that it has been used for one State of Origin, a boxing bout and a concert in addition to the 11 games per season since being opened. It probably makes better sense to spend money developing cricket grounds because at least they do get used all year round. I think that in Townsville's case it possibly might have made better sense to re-develop the Riverway's Stadium as a 20,000 capacity cricket ground that could have been used for the trifecta of T20 Cricket, a couple of AFL games per season and NRL.
Surely it should be used for union, Rugby League and Cricket and then gets used all year round

Surely it should be used for union, Rugby League and Cricket and then gets used all year round
The ARU don't play in Townsville and its dedicated rectangular stadium is too small for cricket ... French cricket possibly :)

The thing that must thoroughly irritate the Federal Liberal Party is that even though it was funded in the 2016 Federal election as a blatant vote buying exercise, they still didn't win the seat then or in 2019. ;)

Play soccer on it and its a summer sport here
They have to A. Get an A-League soccer team, and B. Have you been to Townsville during wet season? It's 90% humidity, the constant 30 degree days feel like 40 degrees and the temperature only drops a few degrees at night but humidity remains. It's hardly conducsive for soccer teams (all from the South) to be running about for 90 minutes. :(

They have to A. Get an A-League soccer team, and B. Have you been to Townsville during wet season? It's 90% humidity, the constant 30 degree days feel like 40 degrees and the temperature only drops a few degrees at night but humidity remains. It's hardly conducsive for soccer teams (all from the South) to be running about for 90 minutes. :(
Didn't they have a A league team up there before?

Didn't they have a A league team up there before?
I'm really not sure. The climate up there wouldn't support Australia's soccer season. The season would align with the wettest and most humid time of year in what is coloquially referred to up there as "cyclone season".

I'm really not sure. The climate up there wouldn't support Australia's soccer season. The season would align with the wettest and most humid time of year in what is coloquially referred to up there as "cyclone season".

Two visits to the wiki page in a minute. Bells and sirens ringing at Wikipedia HQ!
Aww comon! Everybody knows that Wikipedia is the standard go to, it's just that nobody admits to it ;)

Where do you buggers think that I get all of my info on Mars Stadium from? An old Wiki mate called RooBlu. I do know his real name and he used to drink at the North Ballarat Social Club back in the day when I worked there, so I follow his twitter and Instagram, Comm Games accounts to get all of the goss :)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back