Review 2022 Mid Season Draft - Wednesday June 1 @ 6.30pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Is Peel the Freo team? WC have their own team but you do not?
What Davo said and yes WC have their own team that gets pummelled every week because they've had no choice but to top up with basically amateur level players.

With a great name to boot I’ll be surprised if Oskar Faulkhead from Bendigo isn’t picked up. Only 179cm but can play back, forward and has been a revelation as a midfielder this year. He has a great mix of athleticism and natural talent and would certainly be a top 30 contender at the end of the year if he isn’t picked up in the MSD.
Look forward to watching him in the young guns this Saturday

He’s the one I would like the Hawks to look at. We need more balanced mids.
Yep, North are looking at him.

His numbers are staggering so far. Averaging 33 disposals, 6 clearances and 5.3 tackles a game for the Panthers.

Yep, North are looking at him.

His numbers are staggering so far. Averaging 33 disposals, 6 clearances and 5.3 tackles a game for the Panthers.
Wouldn’t have thought North would want/need another mid when Powell and Phillips are playing VFL.

Love the mid-season draft. It's a great opportunity for rebuilding and challenging sides alike. It must also make playing state league football that much more exciting knowing you could end up playing on grand final day like Marlon Pickett. Also, takes some of the pressure off those guys who think they only have one opportunity a year to make it to the next grade.

From what I've seen around here, the best one to ask is Futbolista who is paying a lot of attention on the WA guys. I'm just gaga over Derksen because I'm watching the Freo players at Peel each week. It does seem like Teakle and Derksen are the top two WA talls for MSD (if Derksen gets approval)
If I was Fremantle I would take him mid-season. I think he's exciting. He's a very good mover for someone listed at 197cm.

I wouldn't be surprised if Fremantle suggested he join Peel actually.

The AFL has closed the loophole which helped Hawthorn swoop on jet hard nut Jai Newcombe in last year’s midseason draft.

Rival clubs were unhappy Newcombe nominated for last year’s midseason draft under ‘other terms’ which saw him nominate a higher contract price on a deal until the end of 2023.

It meant Newcombe, 21, was paid more than all of the other midseason draft selections and helped ward off other clubs who were either unable, or unprepared, to pay the higher price.

Rival list managers were adamant the move interfered with the integrity of the draft.

But the league on Wednesday contacted clubs to inform them the loophole would be shut for this year’s midseason draft on June 1.

This year all nominees who have not previously been on an AFL list will be paid the same on their initial deals with their new clubs.

Newcombe’s deal at Hawthorn was believed to be worth more than $150,000 in his first year in brown and gold last season.

Hawthorn defended its approach to Newcombe’s recruitment last year, saying it worked within the league’s rules at the time to secure the 186cm ball winner.

Anyone know how Nathan freeman has been going in the SANFL?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The AFL has closed the loophole which helped Hawthorn swoop on jet hard nut Jai Newcombe in last year’s midseason draft.

Rival clubs were unhappy Newcombe nominated for last year’s midseason draft under ‘other terms’ which saw him nominate a higher contract price on a deal until the end of 2023.

It meant Newcombe, 21, was paid more than all of the other midseason draft selections and helped ward off other clubs who were either unable, or unprepared, to pay the higher price.

Rival list managers were adamant the move interfered with the integrity of the draft.

But the league on Wednesday contacted clubs to inform them the loophole would be shut for this year’s midseason draft on June 1.

This year all nominees who have not previously been on an AFL list will be paid the same on their initial deals with their new clubs.

Newcombe’s deal at Hawthorn was believed to be worth more than $150,000 in his first year in brown and gold last season.

Hawthorn defended its approach to Newcombe’s recruitment last year, saying it worked within the league’s rules at the time to secure the 186cm ball winner.
Such a weird thing for the AFL to be all over…

1. He was never going to North, so it didn’t impact any other side. He went Pick 2.

2. Jai was working as a plumber, having not been taken in the ND(2 year contract) or rookie draft(1 year contract) and wanted some security in order to be quitting full time work for as little as 6 months.

What the AFL have now signed off on is that anyone in the MSD has to quit their job, up and move wherever they’re drafted, for possibly 6 months only and then pick up the pieces if it amounts to nothing.

1. He was never going to North, so it didn’t impact any other side. He went Pick 2.

2. Jai was working as a plumber, having not been taken in the ND(2 year contract) or rookie draft(1 year contract) and wanted some security in order to be quitting full time work for as little as 6 months.

What the AFL have now signed off on is that anyone in the MSD has to quit their job, up and move wherever they’re drafted, for possibly 6 months only and then pick up the pieces if it amounts to nothing.
I agree it didn't affect the outcome but there are scenarios where it could have.

I wouldn't have changed it if I were the afl though. If someone wanted Jai they should have drafted him 6 months before

There were three nomination options:
1) 6 months on rookie wages.
2) 18 months on rookie wages.
3) Other terms - which could be anything.

It sounds like only 3) has been ditched, and only for first timers.

i can see both sides of it as it IS/WAS a grey area, they are just covering their arse so there can be no draft tampering.
BUT...i agree with you. Let them nominate what they want for those exact reasons, if a club is willing to do that than so be it.
Most of them (19 yr olds excluded) have had to move on from that, trying to get drafted full time footy mode and create a life with a job and some have started families.
They should be able to nominate a compensatory term or two for a safety net reason just in case it falls apart and then they have to pick up the pieces of their old life or move everything to create a new one.
This will make it a very hard decision for those slightly older guys (especially if they have started a family) to even nominate, i suggest a few may not now unless they and their families/partners want to start a new life somewhere else (depending on who drafts them) and whatever comes of the footy thing they are not putting all their eggs in that basket but will give it a big crack.
This draft (the MSD) is different from school kids being picked in the national draft as they literally have nothing except school, footy and a dream, but MSD should be allowed to be different for these aforementioned reasons.

Last edited:
Do Richmond have or get an extra MSD pick following Josh Caddy's retirement???

The Albury area produced 2 midseasonndraftees last year in Parnell and Turner. We haven't had many over the last few years though. Read there were 3 from here that played in the Young Guns vs Metro game yesterday. Euriah Hollard (Falcons), Toby Murray and Ryan Eyers (Bushrangers). How did they go and are they any chance in the MSD?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back