Review 2022 Mid Season Draft - Wednesday June 1 @ 6.30pm

Remove this Banner Ad

ANY MID-SEASON NOMINATION EXEMPTIONS?​

THE AFL will lean on clubs' level of interest in prospects before deciding on making any exemptions for nominees for the NAB AFL Mid-Season Rookie Draft.

Rules state that for a player to be eligible they must have been overlooked in the most recent national draft or have previously been on an AFL list. AFL-listed players who retire must wait more than 12 months to enter.

There will be a number of applicants for exemptions this season but there will be no blanket exemptions from the AFL, with each nomination to be reviewed case-by-case.

Clubs are expected to be a part of the process as well, with genuine interest in drafting the players at the June 1 mid-season intake to be a key factor in decisions on exemptions.

Often players did not nominate for last year's draft due to being off the radar, playing in regional competitions and not viewing the mid-season draft the following season as a possible destination after two COVID-19 affected seasons.

Port Melbourne VFL prospect Will Reinhold did not nominate for last year's draft but has gathered interest as a possible mid-season pick if granted an exemption. Reinhold, who is a cousin of Brisbane spearhead Joe Daniher, is a tall defender with an excellent left-foot kick who has taken the eye at VFL level.

The 20-year-old has also been used up on the wing.

Hugo Hall-Kahan, who is playing for the Sandringham Dragons as an over-ager this season, would also require an exemption if he wanted to nominate for the mid-season draft after not nominating for last year's national draft.

Hall-Kahan's exciting start to the NAB League season – he has kicked 11 goals in the opening four games – has put him on the map, with bags of five and four goals so far. The medium forward, who is the nephew of former Makybe Diva racehorse trainer David Hall, is a strong mark over his head with an athletic leap. He turns 19 in September.

Last year there were around a dozen players given exemptions for the mid-season rookie draft, including former basketballer and young ruckman Alex Mirkov, who landed at Carlton.

Clubs are for the large part supportive of exemptions being given to players if it means an opportunity to be drafted is available. – Callum Twomey

Who would he compare to...forward mid type? and why didn't he nom last year?
No real AFL level comparison, maybe a bit of Jaidyn Stephenson but I think HHK has more capacity to play as a full time wing

Liked a couple of the now VFL Blues in there draft years.

Zavier Maher has had a terrific start to the year. Aver almost 18 touches a game.

Joel Trudgeon is another doing reasonably well with the blues.

Fully expect them to take Josh Cripps (yes Patty’s brother iirc) who is showing decent signs having moved from WAg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammelmann elected to play QAFL this year for Redland after Aspley dropped out of the VFL. Has managed a lazy 26 goals in 4 games. I have no connection to him personally, so I'm not sure if he even wants to play AFL again, but surely a club would have a look.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Liked a couple of the now VFL Blues in there draft years.

Zavier Maher has had a terrific start to the year. Aver almost 18 touches a game.

Joel Trudgeon is another doing reasonably well with the blues.

Fully expect them to take Josh Cripps (yes Patty’s brother iirc) who is showing decent signs having moved from WAg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ll be amazed if we take Cripps. Hasn’t done anywhere near enough at VFL level, though his past two weeks have been an improvement.

I doubt he has moved across the Nullarbor just to play VFL football at seconds level if you know what I mean

He moved across the Nullarbor because we had a vacant list spot and he was one of a number we invited to put their case forward to fill it.

If it were a certainty as you are suggesting, we would have already done it.

He moved across the Nullarbor because we had a vacant list spot and he was one of a number we invited to put their case forward to fill it.

If it were a certainty as you are suggesting, we would have already done it.

I suspect you take him, didn't state it was a foregone conclusion that you assume I meant.

North are desperate for some KP cover, both forwards and defenders

I've mentioned Dyson Hilder before in this thread, and Blake Schlensog is another that could fit the bill.

But are there any other state league KP's who are sub 25 y.o that could come in and play a decent role at AFL level? Just want to keep an eye out.

I've mentioned Dyson Hilder before in this thread, and Blake Schlensog is another that could fit the bill.

But are there any other state league KP's who are sub 25 y.o that could come in and play a decent role at AFL level? Just want to keep an eye out.
Jack Maibaum

Will North participate in the MSD?
If they do who goes?

Wade Derkson (Peel) is the most interesting KPP state league player right now. Averaged ~20 disposals and 3 goals in his first 2 games playing ruck forward. Only 20 years old too.

Connor Ballenden has been very good for the Eagles in the SANFL (leading the league in contested marks) and he deserves another shot at it.

The other players I would keep an eye on are Dyson Hilder, Harry Boyd and Jack Buller.

Wade Derkson (Peel) is the most interesting KPP state league player right now. Averaged ~20 disposals and 3 goals in his first 2 games playing ruck forward. Only 20 years old too.

Connor Ballenden has been very good for the Eagles in the SANFL (leading the league in contested marks) and he deserves another shot at it.

The other players I would keep an eye on are Dyson Hilder, Harry Boyd and Jack Buller.

Derkson sounds interesting. An article I just read had him down at 189cm but the WAFL site has him at 195cm. Any idea what his actual height is?

Is Ballenden playing key forward or defence? We ideally would go with a defender over a key forward I’d say

Remove this Banner Ad

Back