Analysis Giants Coaching. Congratulations Adam Kingsley & welcome to GWS.

Who is your preference to be next coach of GWS Giants?

• Alistair Clarkson

Votes: 22 26.8%
  • James Hird

Votes: 7 8.5%
  • Don Pyke

Votes: 7 8.5%
  • Nathan Buckley

Votes: 3 3.7%
  • Ross Lyon

• Mark McVeigh

Votes: 6 7.3%
  • Robert Harvey

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Scott Burns

• Blake Caracella

Votes: 1 1.2%
  • Adam Yze

Votes: 14 17.1%
  • Adam Kingsley

Votes: 13 15.9%
  • Daniel Giansiracusa

• Luke Power

Votes: 1 1.2%
  • Jaymie Graham

Votes: 2 2.4%
  • Ash Hansen

• Andrew McQualter

• Chris Scott

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
AK.png

The GIANTS are delighted to announce the appointment of Adam Kingsley as the club’s next AFL head coach.

As a former Premiership and Best and Fairest winner with Port Adelaide, where he played 170 games, Kingsley quickly moved into coaching following his playing career, immediately taking up assistant coaching roles with Port Adelaide and then St Kilda. After eight years with the Saints, Kingsley joined Richmond as assistant coach in 2019 where he played a leading role in the Tigers’ last two Premierships.

GIANTS Chief Executive Officer David Matthews said Kingsley's appointment marked the next chapter in the evolution of the football club. “On behalf of the Board and our entire organisation, I’m thrilled to confirm Adam Kingsley as our new head coach,” Mr Matthews said. “After a thorough and considered selection process, Adam’s vision for the club, our players and our people made him the standout candidate for the job. Adam has outstanding values that align with the GIANTS and with 16 years’ coaching experience he is an exceptional tactical coach, a strong, clear communicator, and someone who brings people together. In our 11 years in the competition we have undoubtedly become a successful club with a fantastic culture and a great playing list. But we haven’t been satisfied with our recent results. We - and Adam - believe success isn’t far away and we’re thrilled to have him lead us into our next chapter as a club. This is an incredibly exciting day for our club and Adam's appointment will not only take our playing group and football department forward but will help continue to grow our game across NSW and the ACT. We look forward to welcoming Adam, his wife Nadine and children Cayla, Ethan and Raf to the GIANTS family.”

Mr Matthews also paid tribute to caretaker coach Mark McVeigh. "We thank Mark for his efforts as interim senior coach and the tireless work he has contributed to our program since taking over in round 10,” Mr Matthews said. “It’s a difficult job to come in as caretaker coach but he attacked the role with fresh ideas and sought to improve our players, staff and program at every step. Mark is a person of the highest integrity and character, and he has always put the club first. He was steadfast in leaving the program ready for whoever would be taking over.”

Following an extensive interview process, Kingsley was deemed the best fit for the GIANTS by the club’s interview panel that consisted of Mr Matthews, Chairman Tony Shepherd AO, Football Director Jimmy Bartel and General Manager of Football Jason McCartney. Kingsley said he was honoured to have the opportunity to coach the club for the next three years. “This is an incredibly exciting opportunity,” he said. “It’s a privilege and an honour to be the next senior coach of the GIANTS. I’ve been clear in my aspirations to become a senior coach and over the last 16 years I’ve continued to learn and develop to the point now where I’m absolutely ready to take the next step in my coaching career. This is a club which has built a strong culture from the ground up in just a few short years. In just 11 years the GIANTS have made multiple preliminary finals, and a Grand Final, and while the ultimate success has eluded the club, it’s clear the building blocks are in place. It's clear the players, staff, members and fans are hungry for success, and we’re going to drive each other to get to where we want to go. I believe in this club and what we can achieve together.”

Kingsley played 170 games for Port Adelaide between 1997 and 2006 and was a member of the club’s inaugural team as well as their first Premiership in 2004. He won the Power’s club champion award in just his second season. In 2007, he became an assistant coach at Port Adelaide, a position in which he stayed in until the end of 2010. Kingsley joined St Kilda at the end of the 2010 season as an assistant coach before moving to Richmond in 2019.

This was taken from ‘The Roar’ (today) in an article entitled “Top-four contenders, finals hopefuls? Your AFL team reviewed" by Cameron Rose:

Greater Western Sydney Giants

What’s true after Round 8, 2022, is what has been true for a year or two now. Leon Cameron has to go. How some rate him as a coach is beyond comprehension given the talent he has had access to and the boring unimaginative football they so often play under him”.

Not knowing Rose or his ‘expertise’ I can make no comment.

If a ‘caretaker coach’ is considered I believe Alan McConnell is still at the Club but with no publically announced role. He is very experienced in coaching and knows the Club better than anyone. Perhaps he could provide a steady interim hand.

If the ‘Clarko’ option is not a goer and the Club looks to one the many AFL ‘Assistant Coaches’ out there, I would seriously consider Blake Caracella.
I think it is time for Leon to go now, I cant go with the cant coach mantra that gets put out there. The injuries the squad has endured every year has meant that they have played very young sides throughut and he has consistently still made finals.
A lot has to go right to win the comp, and a big part of that is a healthy list in September, we have never had that.
The Melbourne side which is so dominant now had an emerging side that made the prelim in 2019, had injuries in 20 and 21 and was unable to make finals before getting a run at it.
You hear all the time that Caracella is a coach in waiting and he may be awesome, but unlike others, I think we have an excellent squad that is capable in the next few years and would like to see a proven coach get a shot. Clarko, Pyke and as maligned as he is Ross Lyon would get a look from me.

Last edited:
I dont have faith in any of the assistant coaches as with how the team is performing across all lines it is not all on the senior coach
Stevie J is either disinterested or is already out the door also

Cameron will be gone the game after the bye in my opinion with Hird to oversee until the end of the season

Hoping Clarkson goes all in on the Giants as he will get the best out of the players and also get in some decent assistants and back room staff instead of the incompetent staff the club has had

I dont have faith in any of the assistant coaches as with how the team is performing across all lines it is not all on the senior coach
Stevie J is either disinterested or is already out the door also

Cameron will be gone the game after the bye in my opinion with Hird to oversee until the end of the season

Hoping Clarkson goes all in on the Giants as he will get the best out of the players and also get in some decent assistants and back room staff instead of the incompetent staff the club has had

If it is to be Clarkson, then for goodness sake get him in the door ASAP and let’s kickstart the next phase.

Otherwise, get Hird in and start running the eye over the Line Coaches and the players.

I cannot see how any of the line coaches gets the interim HC gig.

Our backline used to be awesome, now it’s wobbly.

McVeigh went from being a good Backline coach to a poor Mids Coach.

Stevie J is a conundrum, but in his defence trading away both Jezza’s, Leon’s unwillingness until now to play a Ruck-Fwd, selection of Hill, etc has been a farce.

I’d choose SJ over MMcV as interim, but Hird a clearly superior option as a fresh set of eyes.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Last edited:

You hear all the time that Caracella is a coach in waiting and he may be awesome, but unlike others, I think we have an excellent squad that is capable in the next few years and would like to see a proven coach get a shot. Clarko, Pyke and as maligned as he is Ross Lyon would get a look from me.

The question of the quality of our list is a real mystery, ex the obvious absence of a quality KPF1.

Why does the Board and, more recently, LC talk about “rebuild/transition”?

Are they just covering their 6 by offering an excuse for Board and Management failure, or do they really believe that?

We can’t begin to answer that qu until Leon is gone, so let’s hope the insanity ends soon.

Hird will move into a support role for McVeigh / have a greater role in the football department as of next week

Nothing will get advised this week, speculation will be plenty. McVeigh carried himself well in the Community games will need the support from Hird

Ball is in his court to move up to Sydney in the coming weeks, part time leadership mentor role to a full time role within the club

Finally writing was on the wall and interesting to see how the players react

I would say he is overall being a Ok coach and Between injuries and covid that has ended his time

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Finally writing was on the wall and interesting to see how the players react

I would say he is overall being a Ok coach and Between injuries and covid that has ended his time
I would give him a rating of 3/10 tbh. Pretty poor. Yes I know he has got the team to the finals numerous years but imagine any other coach in charge of this talent.

I wish Leon well from here. He was a good coach and the players clearly respect him. He brought us to the big stage and even though we dropped the ball and had our pants pulled down in front of a packed MCG, for a week there, I'm sure most of us really thought we could actually do it. The whole "keys to the ferrarai" rhetoric was huge media beat up that AFL fans fully bought into and it was to his detriment in the end. Glad he and the club could mutually agree to call his time here rather than dragging this on.

Leon gave it has absolutely best shot for a decade.

He’s done a lot of things right, and been let down by a lot of those above him at the Club.

This is a decision of great character by Leon to step down.

It cements his legacy.

I will be watching the playing group very closely on Sunday.

Nothing less than a four quarter player performance and win is acceptable in LC’s farewell game.

I love this in one of the AFl.com.au articles:

"The presence of James Hird at GWS has also added intrigue to the coaching situation at the club all year, with the former Essendon coach back in the fold at AFL level and being lauded for his work with the club's leadership group in recent months."

What an absolute classic. Bar North Melbourne the GWS leadership group would easily be performing the worst of any AFL group.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back