Strategy s**t **** **** B@LL$ (After Bye Expectations/Requests)

Remove this Banner Ad

OK great now that I have your attention -

With 9 rounds left in our fixture....what do you want to see on or and off field for the remainder of the season?

Off Field - See the year out with Noble...then use the beginning of the off-season to make a sound judgement on what's next.

- There's other things I could mention but I won't bother.

On Field - (Not that any these will happen)
- I want Powell playing in Scott's position. I think that allows him to gather more ball and get into the game more. His positioning, vision are his strengths and I think for now that's where he can help the team most. A bigger role in the midfield will come in time. Scotts been good this year but I'd move him up to the wing.

- Ben McKay to play CHF or FF......Do it!..... He played both Defence and Forward as a junior and at U18's. Arguably played his best footy forward. I don't expect to him to replicate what his brother Harry does at Carlton but I think he could do really well. Plus it helps Zurhaar & Larky who'd no longer be the main targets in the forward line.

Some might say taking our best defender and most important player out of defence is stupid but we're getting slaughtered every week and not kicking enough goals as it is.

- Ziebell continues playing forward but with more midfield time.

- Goldstein playing mainly as a defender and pinch hitting in the ruck. There's zero evidence that can he play can as a defender but with his motor, decision making and skills I think he can be a solid contributor. If Ben McEvoy (Hawthorn) can play defence why not Goldstein.

He isn't slowing down and if he was playing his usual ruckman role he'd still be in the top 3-4 ruckman in the comp. More importantly Goldy wants to stay so lets facilitate something that allows that and that he can continue contributing to the team. I don't particularly rate Xerri (Horrible ****ing name too....sorry) but he works hard and the club has anointed him as the next ruckman moving forward.

Not saying my opinion is worth an iota more than yours, but I disagree with just about all your onfield ideas lol. Off field, I'm with you. My onfield suggestions would be:

Scott to wing, Stephenson to other wing, Perez to HB, Powell to guts permanently in absence of JHF

While he's still in the team, Greenwood to rotate between guts and full forward. Makes us insanely ******* slow up forward but he took a contested mark a game in 2018, which was coincidentally his best goalkicking year. Worth a shot I reckon. At best he gives us productivity there, at worst his opponent is forced to be accountable to him, as distinct from waltzing away from him in the centre square

Goldy and Xerri to continue sharing the ruck load. None of this pinch hitting stuff. Goldy's still our best ruckman, Xerri can develop without jeopardising the team's output. It's that 'moving forward' thinking that got us into this ******* situation in the first place

Thomas to be trialled at HB. Seems uninterested and woefully out of form. Maybe being bombarded with inside 50s will wake him up. Also gives him the opportunity to use those foot skills

Taylor to be played exclusively in the forward half. I see a 1.5 goal a game player there, but he ain't gonna do that from a wing. His field kicking also lets him down too much to be played in a position where turnovers kill you

A gameplan that actually gives us a chance to score goals. I'd rather lose by 60 in a shootout than 50 the way we have been playing.

Positionally... LDU chained to the centre square, Sleevo onto a wing where he at least has a chance of generating attacks, Scott given a couple more bites as a lockdown winger (or even more freedom than that seeing as his disposal has improved), Greenwood to either find some form or trialled forward, and SOME form of big bodied tall down front to help us out. My gut is against sending McKay there because I hate messing with a good thing, but considering his lack of continuity anyway and the midseason recruiting it does make some sense to at least trial it. Previously I would have said Walker is 100% the one to go down there but he is arguably the player best performing his role right now, so more power to him. Keep the X and Goldy combination going, preferably trying to increasingly challenge X.

The fixture, and our player availability, opens up for us now. Not everything we have seen so far can be forgiven, but I do believe Noble still has the time and scope to earn another contract. He needs to actually show some coaching knowhow though, not just man management. And for the love of god audit the s**t out of everything (again :mad:), from the board on down, and figure out where the * the weak links off field are. Go into slight debt to fix them if we have to. Kick Gil in the shins and ask for some 'favours' headhunting folks in the name of equalisation if we have to. It would be slightly shameful to ask for the type of help Melbourne got years ago, but * it no one seems to care after they won that flag! The worst thing we could do is fail this rebuild because we were either too prideful or too scared.

season 1 door GIF by Good Girls Revolt

This thread kind of pulls together a range of thoughts from a bunch of other threads and compiles it into one, so kudos Dan.

Just have each player in the spot to which they have honed their craft. Goldy is our #1 ruck, so play him in the guts. Xerri can pinch hit as needed whilst he works on softening his hands for marking contests and crashing packs.

Scott and Stevo on the wings providing that link makes sense to me. They need to use their run and carry. Perez and TT off HB makes sense to me, with TT rotating through the middle.

LDU and Powell with as many CBA's as their bodies will allow. Throw Cunners in there and use Jy as the outside run. Get Phillips healthy and we're starting to build a midfield to froth over. LDU must assume the Cunners mantle over the next 1-2 years.

Taylor, Larkey, Zurhaar, Ziebell, Curtis and Ford up forward. When Comben stops breaking himself, it's going to put pressure on Ziebs. In 2023, Greenwood and Ziebell provide depth by educating our VFL boys as a segue into coaching and stepping up to seniors as injuries/suspensions dictate.

Get HB right and D50 starts to look a little settled. McKay, Corr, Walker, Dawson (if he's any good), LMac, Hall, Perez, TT. That's a group to get settled and build around.

Throw the fecking magnets around a little and see what happens. It can't get much worse.

Off-field:
Senior Coach - Noble to see out the season and then make the call. Either put some support around him if we're backing him in, or give him a pat on the back and move him on. No untested replacements thank you.
Assistants - full blown review. I suspect there will be significant change in this space but can only be done once Senior is sorted as any new person will likely want to select their own.
List management - go hard at recruiting in this space. Look at who's the best and throw the kitchen sink at them! We've been shite in this space for too long.
S&C - I liked the openness shown in this weeks video. This ones a wait and see, but we need an absolutely gruelling off-season program to build endurance and strength. Cunners joining main training makes me firm!

That's not too much to ask is it??

Stephenson as a sweeping wing/HB focusing on metres gained and working with Hall (7th defender) to generate our offence from half back.

Dawson, Walker and Corr to take KPP stopping duties.

Scott and McDonald to round out the defence. Get it sorted and lock it in for the rest of the year so they can get some synergy.

Run with LDU, Anderson and Powell out of the middle as the main rotation.

Simpkin, Greenwood, Taylor and JHF to assist this main rotation.

Thomas and JHF as super high HF/extra centres pushing up high to lead and mark and provide control across HF and then zip back to slingshot their kicking weapons into the forward 50.

Larkey playing CHF to get separation from the double teaming defenders.

McKay to transition to our FF beast to provide a contest and protect him from concussion.

Zurhaar, Ziebell, Curtis, Ford to round out the forward line. Instruct the players to make it a kill zone.

Goldstein and Xerri/Coleman-Jones rotate through main ruck and resting 3rd tall based on form- don’t care who is main ruck, just that they are the inform player.

Push for two more wins after break.

Cull the list more, bring in decent experience where possible, trade any value players (in and out), focus on getting some better heads assisting Nobes or transition him into HoF. Set an attractive, tough style of football, cane it over the preseason with 100% commitment from the playing group, win 6-8 games next year.

To start with I reckon we win this week.

Kinda boring but all I want to see is our team defence continue to evolve. Saw some things I liked against the Giants and I’m hoping this kick starts a trend. Would love McKay and Corr to play the rest of the season together as they are the pillars for that area of the ground.

Also want to see a refreshed JHF. Reckon this little circuit breaker will do him good and I think he can finish strong.

I’d also love to see Perez played back - also want to see Lachie Young continue to improve. I had him gone 6 weeks ago, he’s nearly won me back

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I would want us to be competitive against Adelaide first of all. Then Hawthorn and * I would also like to see competitive performances against, and one surprise performance as well. Overall though I think honestly just to see a win would be nice.

Then I think we should try some players. We’re the 2nd worst team in the league and have had an abundance of injuries but have had 3 debutants this season. Reward some VFL form, let us see some players so even if they’re inevitably delisted we can at least say we tried them.

Lastly, I’d like some semblance of direction to be shown in the higher up areas such as the football department. Make some appointments, fire some people, show some accountability.

The main concern for me is if it’s Nobles plan and he might not be around but we’re committed to Xerri & CJ and Goldy still unsigned.

You'd have to suggest Goldy is done, as you stated we've committed long term to those guys. Yikes.
And I highly doubt Nobles is coaching next year. Too many rumours around player unrest , coupled with getting smashed weekly. Coupled with having too many halves of footy where we only kick 2/3 goals.

Actually 9 games where we have kicked 3 or less in a half of footy. 6 of 9 two or less goals. lol

Nobles is fucl<ed

Funny thing about the thread (theread) title...

Where I used to work they implemented a randomly generated bill item number to each line item on customer bills to facilitate enquiries or complaints - basically, the customer could reference the code to help the offshore contact centre agent to find the line item being queried to save time and reduce confusion etc...

The bright spark who designed the solution created a randomly generated four alphabetic character code - the bill would display something like...

Detail of item 1 being charged for. $x.yz abcd
Detail of item 2 being charged for. $f.yz rstu
Detail of item 3 being charged for. $w.yz zstd
Detail of item 4 being charged for. $w.yz campaigner
Detail of item 5 being charged for. $r.yz adeb

During week one, a legal claim was brought against the company by a female customer who copped the C-Bomb on her bill.

We rapidly intervened and applied a swear filter to rival the Chief, he of unmatched wisdom's very own. The way we did it was to download a list of offensive words from some organisation or other and this was used to wash any random generator result. To improve performance, we also applied a rule that prevented the first letter from being C, D, F, T or S, the third letter could not be C and the last letter could not be K. This was 15 years ago so the detail may have been a little differet but that's basically what I remember.

I don’t care where he plays. The season is done so it wouldn’t hurt having a look at him up forward.

The only thing I really want is for him not to get another concussion.
I get that, with the season being done and all, but what im saying is the outcome is predictable. We could still do it to actually know, hell itd be nice to see mckay clunk and kick goals in of itself.

Previously I would have said Walker is 100% the one to go down there but he is arguably the player best performing his role right now, so more power to him.

Walker also a very average forward. McKay - who knows.
Funny thing about the thread (theread) title...

Where I used to work they implemented a randomly generated bill item number to each line item on customer bills to facilitate enquiries or complaints - basically, the customer could reference the code to help the offshore contact centre agent to find the line item being queried to save time and reduce confusion etc...

The bright spark who designed the solution created a randomly generated four alphabetic character code - the bill would display something like...

Detail of item 1 being charged for. $x.yz abcd
Detail of item 2 being charged for. $f.yz rstu
Detail of item 3 being charged for. $w.yz zstd
Detail of item 4 being charged for. $w.yz campaigner
Detail of item 5 being charged for. $r.yz adeb

During week one, a legal claim was brought against the company by a female customer who copped the C-Bomb on her bill.

We rapidly intervened and applied a swear filter to rival the Chief, he of unmatched wisdom's very own. The way we did it was to download a list of offensive words from some organisation or other and this was used to wash any random generator result. To improve performance, we also applied a rule that prevented the first letter from being C, D, F, T or S, the third letter could not be C and the last letter could not be K. This was 15 years ago so the detail may have been a little differet but that's basically what I remember.
That's ******* great.

Off-field:
  • full review. Especially the development side of things.
  • Execute the skills coach.
  • Get a PP sorted.

On field:
  • Stephenson and Thomas to rotate between HB and midfield. Need to get the ball into their hands more and create some run out of the back half.
  • Move on ziebell.
  • Keep LDU in the midfield.
  • Figure out a way to get some help for Larkey.
  • Trade goldstein for a 2nd rounder.

Off-field:
  • full review. Especially the development side of things.
  • Execute the skills coach.
  • Get a PP sorted.

On field:
  • Stephenson and Thomas to rotate between HB and midfield. Need to get the ball into their hands more and create some run out of the back half.
  • Move on ziebell.
  • Keep LDU in the midfield.
  • Figure out a way to get some help for Larkey.
  • Trade goldstein for a 2nd rounder.
If we can trade an UFA for a 2nd rounder then whoever is acting for Luffs can have the role FT.

On SM-S901E using BigFooty.com mobile app

I dunno, you assume the coach came in with a plan that has been endorsed by footy people like Paul Roos, Anthony Stevens, John Blakey, Brady Rawlings, and that it's been based on a successful rebuild at Brisbane.
DN said only a few weeks ago that is a hard system to learn, and the only way to truly get it going is to repeat it game after game until it becomes natural for the players.
So why stop now? The season's ****ed. If he's right, another 5 or 6 weeks could see us actually using that system effectively. If it doesn't, well we aren't much worse off.

I reckon that's the only way he's going to keep his job anyway. To prove the investment in this shitty season was actually worth it, or demonstrate for once and for all that it wasn't

Pull it apart now and start experimenting he may as well hand the keys back already.

You'd have to suggest Goldy is done, as you stated we've committed long term to those guys. Yikes.
And I highly doubt Nobles is coaching next year. Too many rumours around player unrest , coupled with getting smashed weekly. Coupled with having too many halves of footy where we only kick 2/3 goals.

Actually 9 games where we have kicked 3 or less in a half of footy. 6 of 9 two or less goals. lol

Nobles is fucl<ed

That’s why it’s concerning if they signed those two on longish deals, when a new coach might prefer to go with one ruck and a ruck/forward set up. CJ was recruited to replace Goldy and Xerri certainly isn’t a forward. Hope CJ is happy to play more forward if that’s the way it plays out.

That’s why it’s concerning if they signed those two on longish deals, when a new coach might prefer to go with one ruck and a ruck/forward set up. CJ was recruited to replace Goldy and Xerri certainly isn’t a forward. Hope CJ is happy to play more forward if that’s the way it plays out.

Well we could do with a CHB. Probably to slow for that is our CCJ.

Oh well

Remove this Banner Ad

Back