The Greens

Remove this Banner Ad

If you like, I can repost the extract from her 2019 statement and explain to you why this would make trans people in the party feel unsafe and unwelcome were Gale to be elected again.
I've read it, I don't believe it is transphobic.

It is not a cut and dry issue and demonising someone for having the discussion is extremely problematic in my eyes.

If you like, I can repost the extract from her 2019 statement and explain to you why this would make trans people in the party feel unsafe and unwelcome were Gale to be elected again.
I think you'll find Demonic Ascent agrees with Linda's views

I've read it, I don't believe it is transphobic.
I notice you never responded to this post I made addressing your beliefs.

It is not a cut and dry issue and demonising someone for having the discussion is extremely problematic in my eyes.
Do you really think she was asking for a neutral discussion in good faith? Her wording was dripping with trans-exclusionary assumptions and rhetoric.

I like it, but the problem isn't the flag for Lidia Thorpe. She objects even to the parliamentary process but says she participates only as an infiltrator.
Well that should disqualify everyone in the IPA. they think all Government is a waste of time and should be reduced. They should simply start with themselves.

The idea that a transphobe, who is a strong transphobe, and makes people feel uncomfortable but has risen to the upper ranks of the Greens over decades is nonsense.

It's like calling Morrison a Marxist and that he should be booted from the LNP for being Christian.

The Greens realllly don't like people inside the party who don't just agree with everything. Robust discussions are for everyone else to have because of the Greens, not for the Greens themselves.

The rights of trans and gender diverse people are not up for debate. To defend the use of trans-exclusionary language and allow debates about whether trans women should have access to the same spaces as cis women is to deny their very identities and right to equality,” said Ratnam.

This statement is nonsense.

It only makes sense if you replace the words "cis women" with "people".

The Greens realllly don't like people inside the party who don't just agree with everything. Robust discussions are for everyone else to have because of the Greens, not for the Greens themselves.
The discussion has been had over the past decade. The party has achieved a position, now people can either comply or find another one more suited to them. People are not required to tolerate intolerance.

Good to see Linda Green get to have her say. ( Being published in The Age, I appreciate that makes her thoughts null and void for some of you ; )

So an internal committee can overturn the result of a vote conducted as per the constitution? Yay democracy :drunk:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The rights of trans and gender diverse people are not up for debate. To defend the use of trans-exclusionary language and allow debates about whether trans women should have access to the same spaces as cis women is to deny their very identities and right to equality,” said Ratnam.

This statement is nonsense.

It only makes sense if you replace the words "cis women" with "people".
What's your issue with the use of cis women?

What's your issue with the use of cis women?
It goes to the definition of women or of women-only spaces (you have to define both or neither. The assertion of the statement is that trans women are the same as cis-women (Clearly not all cis-women agree), but really it should just be that people are people. What's the point of having agreed defined spaces for women if you don't have an agreed definition of what a woman is?

There's just a logical flaw in the argument, but the Greens have banned discussing it unless you agree with them.

What part of my assertion is incorrect? Was the initial vote invalid under the constitution? Was this vote then overturned by an internal committee?
Yes, the vote was invalid under the constitution as the correct processes were not followed. This is the basis of the ARPs decision to annul the results.

It goes to the definition of women or of women-only spaces (you have to define both or neither. The assertion of the statement is that trans women are the same as cis-women (Clearly not all cis-women agree), but really it should just be that people are people. What's the point of having agreed defined spaces for women if you don't have an agreed definition of what a woman is?

There's just a logical flaw in the argument, but the Greens have banned discussing it unless you agree with them.
Actually the argument is that trans women deserve the same rights and access to spaces as cis women.

It's really simple and easy to understand and it makes sense.

The greens have taken the position that they do. Linda Gale took the position that they don't.

Yes, the vote was invalid under the constitution as the correct processes were not followed. This is the basis of the ARPs decision to annul the results.
Yeah... about that... the role was filled as a casual vacancy, which doesn't have the same restrictions as a full annual vote. The panel are making stuff up as they go along when it suits them. Corporate Governance 101 is that any panel that reviews a decision like this should be independent. The Libs might have wasted a tonne of money going through the courts, but at least they left it to an independent arbitrator.

Its gotta give you confidence that the processes was thorough, fair and democratic when they say "yeah, you're out, and we recommend you don't run again".

She co-authored a statement with someone who has since been expelled from the party for vilifying members on the basis of gender identity,

She cannot be held responsible for the views of the co-author. I don't know why that person was expelled from the party and I hadn't even heard of Linda Gale until Gralin brought it up in this thread. I had to google what TERF meant because I hadn't heard the term before which is why is asked the initial question, what makes her a TERF?

and sent it to all Victorian Greens members, urging them to oppose holding the workshop. This statement included passages like the following:

View attachment 1426113

Some of the examples she gives are a bit silly but I don't disagree with the principle that it is a matter of language that is being twisted. That doesn't make her transphobic in my opinion, it doesn't mean transgender people are being discriminated against or victimised.

Not only is this utterly ridiculous and melodramatic, but it presupposes that trans women are men (or this term "dominant sex class", which itself is cringeworthy), which is disaffirming to their gender identity and is therefore a rejection of trans people.

I support anyone living their lives however they see fit as long as it doesn't harm anyone else. That doesn't mean I have to agree with everyone's opinion or beliefs. In the same way I don't care about someone's religion as long as they don't impose it on others I don't care about someones beliefs around their gender - but that doesn't mean I believe in their god or that a man can become a woman.

Let's conduct a little thought experiment. Do you think the average black or Asian person in the West might have a better understanding of what constitutes racism than the average white person? Do you think the average woman might have a better understanding of what constitutes misogyny than the average man? I'm fairly certain they'll at least be more familiar with experiencing it. In the same way, do you think the average trans person might have a better understanding of what constitutes transphobia than the average cis person?

It's not equivalent though is it? If you compared it to an Asian person who identifies as African and then claimed others were being racist because they didn't agree that they were African then you might be on to something.

Regardless of whether it is trans exclusionary or not, scientifically it just isn't correct because it's a massive oversimplification of a complex topic. The actual science is much more complicated. I know you've said that you don't read twitter threads, but I strongly encourage you to read this one, which was written by an actual biologist.

It's not that I don't read Twitter threads, I don't have twitter so often it kicks me off if I start reading something that goes on for too long. I can accept that "gender" is a spectrum but I don't accept that biological sex is. That is not a discriminatory statement, being discriminatory would mean that person being denied opportunities or rights/liberties based on the fact they identify as a different gender to their biological sex.

Seeing as she won't repudiate her previous comments when given the opportunity to do so, can you see why trans people and their allies don't believe her?

I don't believe she needs to repudiate her previous comments as I don't believe they or she is transphobic. She is not discriminating against trans people in my opinion.

She cannot be held responsible for the views of the co-author. I don't know why that person was expelled from the party and I hadn't even heard of Linda Gale until Gralin brought it up in this thread. I had to google what TERF meant because I hadn't heard the term before which is why is asked the initial question, what makes her a TERF?
The views were in the paper she co authored
The language used and arguments put forth in that paper included work from an anti trans group in the UK

If you don't know what TERF means you don't know enough about this topic to make the judgment that its all good
Some of the examples she gives are a bit silly but I don't disagree with the principle that it is a matter of language that is being twisted. That doesn't make her transphobic in my opinion, it doesn't mean transgender people are being discriminated against or victimised.
Her views are transphobic, they are that trans people should be discriminated against
She doesn't believe in self ID

She suggests that trans women are actually sex predators trying to gain access to womens spaces to rape them

Thats not just a bit silly

I support anyone living their lives however they see fit as long as it doesn't harm anyone else. That doesn't mean I have to agree with everyone's opinion or beliefs. In the same way I don't care about someone's religion as long as they don't impose it on others I don't care about someones beliefs around their gender - but that doesn't mean I believe in their god or that a man can become a woman.
And here we are you don't believe trans people actually transition which is why you don't see anything wrong with what she says

It's not equivalent though is it? If you compared it to an Asian person who identifies as African and then claimed others were being racist because they didn't agree that they were African then you might be on to something.
What are you even on about
It's not that I don't read Twitter threads, I don't have twitter so often it kicks me off if I start reading something that goes on for too long. I can accept that "gender" is a spectrum but I don't accept that biological sex is. That is not a discriminatory statement, being discriminatory would mean that person being denied opportunities or rights/liberties based on the fact they identify as a different gender to their biological sex.
Biological sex is what to you exactly?
How is it defined? What makes up someone's biological sex?

I don't believe she needs to repudiate her previous comments as I don't believe they or she is transphobic. She is not discriminating against trans people in my opinion.
Yeah and you don't believe people really transition and you don't really know whats going on
But you think you know more than everyone who has a problem with her statements

Well that should disqualify everyone in the IPA. they think all Government is a waste of time and should be reduced. They should simply start with themselves.

The idea that a transphobe, who is a strong transphobe, and makes people feel uncomfortable but has risen to the upper ranks of the Greens over decades is nonsense.

It's like calling Morrison a Marxist and that he should be booted from the LNP for being Christian.

Are you saying Lidia Thorpe is a transphobe?

Hormones, Chromosomes, etc? I thought it was gender that was a spectrum, whereas biological sex is more binary.
Biology isn't binary people just behave like it is because its easier than the reality.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back