News Walters and Frederick of Fremantle racially vilified on social media (stay on topic pls)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seriously, if Lamumba sneezes it becomes a multi thread shitshow ragging on him and other black players, yet something actually abhorrent happens and its crickets? Or are you all just scared of alienating the 50% of this site that legitimately agrees with the comments, or the other 25% who dont but think its ok to say things like that because "free speech".

To all the snowflakes who sook about 'keeping politics out of footy', this is exactly why its needed.

Racism is a horrible thing

There is no place for racism in football or in cyberspace.

racism_logo_sq.jpg

They should start accessing the touchpad pressure data of everybody's mobile devices, back-extract the text, and download to a database.

Then we can search for the offending social media posts, and act.

..smart use of predictive text may open windows for plausible deniability however
Last line could be on to something.

Insert an algorithm to read and restrict posts.
If we can change an f to a d to avoid people seeing a comparatively less offensive word, surely we can intercept and overwrite such garbage with pictures of puppies or something

They should start accessing the touchpad pressure data of everybody's mobile devices, back-extract the text, and download to a database.

..smart use of predictive text may open windows for plausible deniability however..

As a representative of the Chinese Comminist Party, your ideas intrigue me and I would like to subscribe to your newsletter.

..smart use of predictive text may open windows for plausible deniability however..

I think we fit electrodes in babies when born so we can track their thoughts and zap them whenever they start to think of anything which you disagree with.

Do we know if what was said was actually illegal ?

Should all mean words be illegal or just some?

As someone else said, online trolls exist for notoriety. If they get ignored they crawl back under their rock.
Racial vilification is most definitely illegal. Where this one might fall short, is that it has to be done specifically in public. As this was done through private message and made public by either the victim or a 3rd party, it probably wouldn't meet the requirements to be punishable by law.
Unfortunately, this is a bit of a cop out for online trolls.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How many articles I wonder does the ABC publish when good things happen in the AFL? Volunteer work, community housing initiatives, community centres, fundraising for MND and countless other initiatives as well as individual initiatives like players looking after terminally ill kids.

Nah, easier to write a negative sensationalist articles with sweeping statements like "the AFL has a racism" problem. It's the only time they do Docos on AFL too.

Get ****ed ABC, there are racists unfortunately everywhere - it's not somehow the entire AFL industry has this problem. It's just as much society's problem as it is Instagram's and AFL's.

How could you possibly do that?
Same way we do with every other media company. If a reporter writes something they shouldn't have, both the reporter and publisher get fines etc.

Twitter/Facebook is a just a publisher.

If they're made partially liable for what they publish, then they'll do more to prevent it.

How many articles I wonder does the ABC publish when good things happen in the AFL? Volunteer work, community housing initiatives, community centres, fundraising for MND and countless other initiatives as well as individual initiatives like players looking after terminally ill kids.

Nah, easier to write a negative sensationalist articles with sweeping statements like "the AFL has a racism" problem. It's the only time they do Docos on AFL too.

Get *ed ABC, there are racists unfortunately everywhere - it's not somehow the entire AFL industry has this problem. It's just as much society's problem as it is Instagram's and AFL's.
The ABC does write positive articles about those. They are simply reporting what has happened. Stop acting like there is some sort of agenda.

Of course racism exists in the AFL as it exists in every aspect of society, does that mean we are just meant to let it stay that way? The ABC doesn't only cover racism in AFL, I mean yesterday they had a major article on the Race Discrimination Commission's current campaign.

G
Have you actually read this site? 50% is probably conservative
Genuine question:

If a poll was put on this site with the screenshot published earlier (that has the abuse uncensored) and the question: ‘What is your gut reaction to these messages sent to Michael Frederick?’

With the voting options:

• The comments make me sick to the stomach
  • The guy who posted that needs some help
  • Trolls going to trill
  • Well it was a dodgy 50m free kick so cut the guy some alack
  • Damn right

How do you think BigFooty would respond?

(Assuming votes in polls were 100% anonymous and people could vote for what they genuinely feel).

Oh there’s personal consequences for sure, this knobhead’s name and picture have been doing the rounds on social media. He’s already deleted all his accounts.
I’d be very surprised if this hasn’t found a way to his employer, gf or other personal connections. So now everyone knows the racist piece of s**t he really is.

Which is exactly why drawing a light to it and naming and shaming these scumbags is important. No getting away with it anymore in the social media age.
Got a link so I can put a name to these 'low lifes' ?

G

Genuine question:

If a poll was put on this site with the screenshot published earlier (that has the abuse uncensored) and the question: ‘What is your gut reaction to these messages sent to Michael Frederick?’

With the voting options:

• The comments make me sick to the stomach
  • The guy who posted that needs some help
  • Trolls going to trill
  • Well it was a dodgy 50m free kick so cut the guy some alack
  • Damn right

How do you think BigFooty would respond?

(Assuming votes in polls were 100% anonymous and people could vote for what they genuinely feel).
I don't think a lot of the people who would vote the bottom half of that list would be brave or care enough to vote, but you can see from reading the posts in threads how racist people on here are. As an example, there was a guy in the Richmond board arguing that RCD was a soft player because he has gay parents. I doubt he'd bother voting.

I reckon there's be a 50/50 split between the first 2 options and the second 2 though. Just look at the reaction to the booing of Adam goodes. Plenty people openly said it was their right for having paid their money.

And dismissing it as 'trolls gonna troll' is condoning it and just as bad.

But if all was anonymous and everyone voted, I reckon 15% the last option, 15% the second last and 25% trolls gonna troll which I co sider the same.

Do you read ABC News? They publish these often.

BTN - for classroom news:

ABC News:

Get *ed ABC, there are racists unfortunately everywhere - it's not somehow the entire AFL industry has this problem. It's just as much society's problem as it is Instagram's and AFL's.

Yeah, and why does the news only report on car crashes and not the thousands of cars that drive safely?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back