Tim Watson on Ginnivan - the hypocrisy of the AFL media.

Remove this Banner Ad

I think thats a bit of a stretch.

Its an incredibly high pressure job and with club rules and skinfolds theyre barely allowed to have a few beers to unwind. Im not saying break out the violins for them but you cant just be 100% professional athlete 100% of the time. You need some release.
It’s a very short career , that’s just one more sacrifice they have to make among many…and I would absolutely be against doing illegal stuff to “unwind”…if you need drugs to unwind I would suggest it more of an issue with how you handle stress than anything else.

Just my opinion

It’s a very short career , that’s just one more sacrifice they have to make among many…and I would absolutely be against doing illegal stuff to “unwind”…if you need drugs to unwind I would suggest it more of an issue with how you handle stress than anything else.

Just my opinion
Very very easy to say when youre not the one in it but fair enough.

Very very easy to say when youre not the one in it but fair enough.
I’ve been in high pressured jobs, and I would think anyone with a job understands what stress can do to a person .

But let be serious about the expectations and requirements of being a professional athlete, you are expected to take care of your health and body and to be in peak condition …is it fair? No

Taking drugs counters that responsibility imo as does binge drinking .

It just shows bad life decisions…which is expected from young people from time to time ..but their high profiled positions requires a lot of sacrifices and you have to question if they have the right mindset or people around them if they are taking drugs let alone out in public.

I’ve been in high pressured jobs, and I would think anyone with a job understands what stress can do to a person .

But let be serious about the expectations and requirements of being a professional athlete, you are expected to take care of your health and body and to be in peak condition …is it fair? No

Taking drugs counters that responsibility imo as does binge drinking .

It just shows bad life decisions…which is expected from young people from time to time ..but their high profiled positions requires a lot of sacrifices and you have to question if they have the right mindset or people around them if they are taking drugs let alone out in public.
I think giving a 21 year old a couple hundred thousand dollars a year to kick a football and deal with millions of screaming fans is likely to lead to some poor decision making.

Part of the reason the three strikes policy and mental welfare is front of mind instead of just suspending guys straight away.

The irony is that many of the worlds truly great athletes (Tiger, MJ, plenty of others) have all indulged and still executed.

I think giving a 21 year old a couple hundred thousand dollars a year to kick a football and deal with millions of screaming fans is likely to lead to some poor decision making.

Part of the reason the three strikes policy and mental welfare is front of mind instead of just suspending guys straight away.

The irony is that many of the worlds truly great athletes (Tiger, MJ, plenty of others) have all indulged and still executed.
Out in public ? Where the chances of getting caught is increased?

The greats as you mentioned would have personal security teams to protect them and would test the substances…and I would still disagree with their choices but each to their own

There are many many athletes out there that don’t take drugs and try to get the very best out of their bodies in their short careers .

At the end of the day you play stupid games you get stupid prizes…if you are taking drugs out in a public place where you are going to be seen by others …don’t expect sympathy when you’re caught

Last edited:
Out in public ? Where the chances of getting caught is increased?

The greats as you mentioned would have personal security teams to protect them and would test the substances…and I would still disagree with their choices but each to their own

There are many many athletes out there that don’t take drugs and try to get the very best out of their bodies in their short careers .
Ahhh, Tiger was pretty ******* public my guy. Did you forget him getting caught?

MJ probably benefitted from being pre smart phone age.

Hence my last sentence in my edit.

You can’t deny they had a whole team around them to really protect them against the media and other people
I’m not really advocating for sympathy. He did what he did and he’s copping the punishment for it.

I’m more pointing out that the vast majority of people have complete apathy toward it.

I find the guy to be bit of an annoying flog, but hey no ones perfect we all make mistakes, so maybe people should just start climbing down from their high horses!

Let he who has not sinned cast the first stone etc. I fully agree with Tim Watson on this. I also respect him for going against Sheeds wishes, and telling the Essendon board not to rehire James Hird as coach as well.

I think thats a bit of a stretch.

Its an incredibly high pressure job and with club rules and skinfolds theyre barely allowed to have a few beers to unwind. Im not saying break out the violins for them but you cant just be 100% professional athlete 100% of the time. You need some release.

Take up a hobby, learn a new skill. No need to resort to drugs or alcohol. Unless they’re pressured into it by so called friends.

I know there are other threads about Ginnivan - this is about the Media/ex-AFL players and their hypocrisy when commenting on it.

Article from news.com

On Tuesday morning, Bombers legend and SEN Breakfast radio host Tim Watson said Ginnivan’s decision to take an unknown substance as an elite athlete “beggars belief”.

“I’ll tell you what worries me the most about this and that is what it can lead to,” he told SEN.

“You’ve someone in the middle of a footy camp... and the thing they want to do is participate in illegal drug taking. Heavy drug taking. They may have just had a lecture on diet and all the things you need to put in your system and they sit there and say, ‘Yeah, we have to be careful about what we eat and we have to keep our skinfolds down’ and all that kind of thing’.

“And then they go and put something into their bodies that they’ve got no ideas about how it was controlled. How it was made. What it was cut with. Where it was cut. And the lack of safety and the issues around that. That beggars belief for me that somebody involved in an elite professional training program and sport (would do that).”

Now Tim Watson has spent years spinning the Bombers drug cheating, saying either there was nothing to hide, or that the players didn't know what they were taking, covering up his son's drug cheating - and know he wants to get on his soap box about a player taking drugs for fun, and saying players have the education to know they should not do it, and media oulets run with him as he is some sort of moral leader to follow.

Singling out Watson here - but everyone involved with AFL knows that recreational drugs are used by not only the players, but coaches and administrators, and the media. They hypocrisy of this is just astounding.

Ironic isn't it, you would have thought he had a big influence where Ess was concerned and even more where his son was at.

First Jobe was advised to own up, then to deny. Very little credibility for ol mate Tim and even less for puppet Jobe.

So basically people don't have a problem with what Tim said but they have a problem with his right to say it.
Geez there are a lot of precious people out there.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Tim Watson is seriously the worst bloke out there.

His kid was a senior mature player who was balls deep in needles during the Hird years and was leading younger players to inject eyeball deep.

Then Tim simply blames Hird and becomes sanctimonious about a young kid like Ginnivan.

Watson is cognitive dissonance writ large.

A legit flog.

I really think you need to take a break from the main board .
The biggest hater I’ve come across .
The same poster who’d defend Oloughlin and Hueskes .
You should think before you post .

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I know there are other threads about Ginnivan - this is about the Media/ex-AFL players and their hypocrisy when commenting on it.

Article from news.com

On Tuesday morning, Bombers legend and SEN Breakfast radio host Tim Watson said Ginnivan’s decision to take an unknown substance as an elite athlete “beggars belief”.

“I’ll tell you what worries me the most about this and that is what it can lead to,” he told SEN.

“You’ve someone in the middle of a footy camp... and the thing they want to do is participate in illegal drug taking. Heavy drug taking. They may have just had a lecture on diet and all the things you need to put in your system and they sit there and say, ‘Yeah, we have to be careful about what we eat and we have to keep our skinfolds down’ and all that kind of thing’.

“And then they go and put something into their bodies that they’ve got no ideas about how it was controlled. How it was made. What it was cut with. Where it was cut. And the lack of safety and the issues around that. That beggars belief for me that somebody involved in an elite professional training program and sport (would do that).”

Now Tim Watson has spent years spinning the Bombers drug cheating, saying either there was nothing to hide, or that the players didn't know what they were taking, covering up his son's drug cheating - and know he wants to get on his soap box about a player taking drugs for fun, and saying players have the education to know they should not do it, and media oulets run with him as he is some sort of moral leader to follow.

Singling out Watson here - but everyone involved with AFL knows that recreational drugs are used by not only the players, but coaches and administrators, and the media. They hypocrisy of this is just astounding.

The coaches and media are not tested to the same extent for recreational and performance enhancement substances.

The worst being caught by ASADA and your career is in limbo. Big risk for what?

Especially at a training camp.

Article from news.com

Gees clearly the trips across the toad effected his memory! What a tool!

This isn’t the 90’s anymore. Don’t think it’s that hard to knuckle down for 7 months a year and maybe put in the same effort and responsibility your colleagues are. His health is one thing but it’s a shame if he comes in to the season undercooked or unprepared physically.

Drugs should be legal for sound of mind adults... much like alcohol, regulate it and tax it.

As for Ginnivan, IMO no worse than getting blind drunk which is often celebrated within the Australian community.
It's an interesting idea, but the whole risk is that people can be sound of mind until they try a new substance, have a bad reaction and then end up with Psychotic issues for the rest of their life.

You can have a go at Watson for his Don’s connection, but I take from that article the query as to the “quality” of the product they are playing with.

With alcohol, it says on the bottle what the alcohol percentage is. With these drugs, how do we know what they have been cut with ?. It could be ketamine or caster sugar.
If my drugs were cut with Ketamine I wouldn't complain.

It's an interesting idea, but the whole risk is that people can be sound of mind until they try a new substance, have a bad reaction and then end up with Psychotic issues for the rest of their life.
Yes, but the war on drugs was lost years ago, time to let adults make their own decisions re what they put into their body.

Yes, but the war on drugs was lost years ago, time to let adults make their own decisions re what they put into their body.
Bingo.
Plus, it'll free up the toilets for folk with more pressing matters.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back